I love this phone. It's the best! I live in the boonies, it gets out. I barely drop a call. It's crystal clear, it takes great pics. It's loud, you can hear it ring. It has great memory. The battery is strong. It has 5 alarm times. It's the best phone moto has made in the long time. A far cry from the junk T720 and T730. Moto gave this phone to my son and I to "try". We have Verizon. it's a great phone! It will be hard to beat this one.
710 story is not fair and balanced
I have read lots of reviews concerning this phone and most of them were very negative. I must admit, when they first came out, I thought it was junk. With the newest firmware and the addition of an extended battery changes things big time. The extended battery gives it a much fuller look along with a much more solid feel. With the new price of the 710, it's a solid buy. The camera is not the greatest but who cares? The speakerphone, while not up to snuff with the v60s, is still very very good. The call quality is excellent. The battery...what can I say, the extended makes such a huge difference. It's lasting for days with heavy usage. Bottom line is that this phone needs to be looked at in a fair and balanced review. New firmware can make or break a phone. My suggestion, don't read too much into the earlier posts. At the time of the earlier posts, the phone was junk..I can be honest with that. Today, especially with the new price, is the complete opposite.
Pro's: Excellent call quality, voice dialing is superb. Good quality features( alarm clock, organizer). Battery life with the extended is the deal breaker. Fantastic life!
Bluetooth is a god-send. Works flawlessly. Tri-mode.
Con's: A bit large. Not the prettiest phone in the world but not the ugliest. Keypads could be better. Key layout could be better. Camera is not the best but as I said, who cares.
I got the v710 with Verizon after 45 days with 2 different LG VX6100 units. I was totally turned off by the poor audio quality and frequent dropped calls with the LG.
The v710 has not dropped one call since I got it 2 weeks ago. I've travelled through the same locations where I'd lose a call on the LG 50% of the time with no problem. The speakerphone is really usable and the audio quality is good on both ends using the phone, speakerphone, or plug-in Jabra headset.
I'll complain about VZW disabling the BT file transfer feature, but with the TransFlash card, disabling the BT xfers to force users to pay for transfers seems silly.
The v710 manual says it has a currency converter, but this feature is missing from my phone. I guess you aren't going to use CDMA in Europe, so they took it out.
I haven't tried some of the features yet, but for a functional phone for business use, I like this phone a lot. The LG was a toy in comparison.
I just purchased my 710 on the alltel network, and i have yet got my bluetooth to connect to something, now i know all about verizon and what they did restricting the bluetooth in the phone and i was told alltel did NOT do the same. i mean how the hell do you get it to connect? alot of you on here seem to know so please fill me in..and the same thing goes with the mp3 plater. the only mp3s mine is playing are the ones off REALTONE JUKEBOX!
decently loud speaker
beautiful looking phone, and outer lcd
and if i could get some real movies and songs on the phone thatd be great!
good voice command..
camera sucks...megapixel? my foot!
lcd not customizeable
battery life isnt near my lg 5550
its a heavy phone but the screen makes up for it
the screen lags a little bit when opend sometimes
not enough memory..or the phones files are too big
picture id is only a thumb nail
all and all ive had a lg 5550 nextel i730, nokia 6800 and 6820, and i have used both the moto razr and samsung d415 and i like the 710 more then all combined..its a damn good phone, just i need to be filled in on the bluetooth here..because its really aggravating
Best VZW flip phone, if you can afford accessories
I won this phone in a contest at work, where I sell VZW phones and service. It replaced the LG VX4500 phone (thank God!) that wouldn't work in my house. The camera on this phone is somewhat disappointing, but I rarely use it. Here's my opinion:
* Reception is AWESOME! This phone works like a champ in my house, where a lot of other VZW phones do not (I live in cow country...) The only current VZW phone I know of that may outperform the V710 for signal is the Nokia 6015i.
* Bluetooth headset is sweet. I use the HS810. Others have complained that the V710 doesn't interact with other "normal" Bluetooth devices, but I don't really have any other Bluetooth devices, so it doesn't bother me. I can see how that would be really annoying, though!
* Speakerphone is VERY loud and clear. A ringer on high volume could wake the dead. MP3's come out sounding pretty nice.
* Speaker-independent voice-activated features are VERY smart
* Screen is clear, bright, and large
* Video camera quality is surprisingly good. Sometimes I use the video camera to record my used-to-be AT&T customers singing the praises of VZW -- good sales tool!
* The TransFlash card is cool. It allows full-on MP3 files to be applied as ring tones, and allows you to record video clips well beyond the phone's normal 15 second limit.
* Light sensor in keypad tells the phone to save battery by not lighting keys unless it needs to
* The "megapixel" camera is crap compared to, well, all other non-Motorola camera phones, and the silly light (why no flash?!) doesn't DO anything. Minor complaint, really. Want clear pictures? Get yourself a device known as a "camera."
* Battery life with standard battery is not great. Get yourself the extended battery and life is good.
* The Mobile Phone Tools or whatever it's called is a complete joke! The USB-to-serial cable is difficult to properly connect, and the software is just complete shite. Minor complaint, but you'd think a huge company like Motorola could do better
Motorola V710 2nd Edition?
When the V710 first debuted earlier this year I ran out to the nearest Verizon store to check it out. I was thoroughly turned off by the build quality and by the flimsiness. Tonight I returned to the Verizon store to find an updated model and the build quality is much better. The first time I tried out one of the phones the earpiece felt like it was going to break off. The newer edition fixes this issue with a firmer rubber block. Also, the buttons feel much more "attached." The holster, however, is still a piece of crap!
Excellent internal/external screen resolutions
Nice size for large hands!
Loud ringers (going from the Samsung A670 to this model is a huge step up in this regard!)
Battery life (but this is to be expected--look at the numerous features this phone has before you judge it)
External display not customizable
I hope that people reading reviews here are not turned off by the numerous amounts of negative reviews. Check out the phone for yourself--you have 15 days to decide whether or not you want to keep it (that is, if you don't cut off the UPC label for the refund or damage the phone!).
Also, read the manual! I read complaints about many phones, mostly about customization. A common complaint I've read about the V710 is that each phonebook entry allows only one number. That is NOT true! I've been able to customize my phonebook (setup found under the phonebook menu) and list contacts by name, then choose which number to call.
E-mail me if you have any further questions. :-)
V710? I like it!
Well, I've had this phone for over 2 months here in Brazil (Vivo), but only yesterday I received the complete kit... and let me tell you - I LOVE IT! And here is why:
- the mp3 player is great, specially now that I learned that you have to make a playlist in order to listen to all mp3's stored (and YES, you can listen to them all WITH THE FLIP CLOSED!);
- even though the picture quality isn't anywhere near as good as a digital camera, remind yourselves that this is a PHONE, not a camera (and the pictures that I took with daylight were pretty good);
- the bluetooth phone is awesome, light, cool looking, and it worked as far as 25ft from the handset. And some people complained that you can't use it to listen to mp3's, but that's ok by me, 'cause I prefer my songs in STEREO!;
- the voice recognition works perfectly for me - whether in Portuguese OR English;
- some people complain that the phone is too big...well, I like it, and the screen size justifies most of the bulkiness;
- someone also said that you can only ee 3 people at a time in the address book - well, just disable to preview the contact's pictures, and you'll be able to see 8 contacts at a time;
THERE YOU ARE!
I love it!
The Best wireless Phone EVER!
This has to be the best phone, especially considering Motorola has had some problems. I was hesitant in getting it because i knew that they have a problem with the audio quality, and that bluetooth technology is fairly new, but this phone blew me away! if you get the bluetooth headset, you will fall in love with it! the headset makes life so much easier! they also sell a carkit to use the bluetooth in your car, and a handheld speaker phone kit that will allow you to put the phone in the best part of your house, on the charger, or wherever you get best reception, and use it all over! also, the signal strength on this phone is fantastic! it kicked my old audiovox's butt!
great camera, as long as you know how to use it! Most people don't-- use the low resolution to send pix to other people's phones, and use higher res. to send to your own email to print off or whatever.
great feature of bluetooth! it is so handy, clear, convenient, wonderful!
easy to use menu
all accessories still use the same charger, so if you have an old motorola phone, chances are your chargers are still good!
battery life not as good as i thought, but i got a deal at the verizon store at circuit city when i bought the extended life battery
kinda big, but still a good, solid phone
overall this is a great phone! this phone is probably not for the people that have no idea what a cell phone is and has been living in a cave-- most people that don't like it don't even know how to use it, therefore, read the manual...
NOT WHAT I EXPECTED, BUT BEATS UR AVERAGE PHONE
My mom owns this phone with Verizon Wireless. When I first saw that the phone had a megapixel camera I couldn't wait for her to bring it home, but when I saw the quality I thought it would be so much better. But evertything else is pretty good.
NICE KEYPAD LAYOUT
HAS A MEGAPIXEL CAMERA
HAS VIDEO RECORDING (PRETTY GOOD QUALITY FOR VIDEO)
A MP3 PLAYER
BIG PHONE (I AM NOT A BIG FAN OF SMALL PHONES)
MUCH MORE! OH YEA BLUETOOTH!
CAMERA QUALITY A LITTLE BETTER THAN AVERAGE VGA BUT DOESN'T LOOK LIKE A MEGAPIXEL. I THINK THE V400 HAS A BETTER CAMERA.
I CAN'T THINK OF ANYTHING ELSE SO I GUESS IT'S A PRETTY GOOD PHONE.
I WOULD RECOMMEND THIS PHONE FOR SOMEONE WHO WANTS A NICE MORE NICE LOOKING PHONE WITH BETTER FEATURE THAN JUST YOUR REGULAR CELL PHONE, WHO ALSO WANTS VIDEO CAPABILITY.
V710 Getting Crucified Needlessly!
I would bet that the guys that are blasting this phone with bad reviews are the same guys that would drive endlessly (or at least until they run out of gas) before stopping for directions!
I just read some of the "bad" reviews and immediately started playing with the phone. I am not a genius, but I figured out very quickly (by poking through a few menus) how to get very good pics, including timer shots, B & W, old western-style, and even negative. And for those guys that do not like the resolution, try setting it to 1280 x 960 resolution. You can also set indoor, outdoor, etc. I will, however, admit that in low light situations, the camera is not that great (even with the "light/flash" - nice for finding your keys in the dark!). But since you have to have the latest and greatest, small 3MP+ digital cameras (that you can put on your keychain) cost about $100. Remember...THIS A PHONE!!!!
I just purchased this phone and yes, I didn't pay $299.99, I got it with a $100.00 instant rebate and a $50.00 mail-in. Sorry for those of you that did not get that deal.
With almost all new electronics, either WAIT a little or dry your tears about the high price. It is pricey to have the "latest and greatest" stuff. But if you can control yourself for a week or a month, you'll save a bundle!
- Great reception (even with the antenna down) NEVER dropped a call!
- Loud ringers
- Good speakerphone
- Very usable voice command
- Large bright screens
- Easy navigation
- Thumbnails for phonebook are handy
- Camera has portrait mode
- Good pictures (if you're literate!)
- Stylish and rugged design
- Calculator, calendar, alarm
- Chargers from older phones (ie v720c) will work with this phone (saves $$$)
- Low-light pics could be better
- Battery life (I have an extended battery on order - we'll see...)
I LOVE IT!