Samsung SGH-D807 / D806
Less than impressing
I got this phone with the intention of returning it and getting a different phone when I found a good one, so I already had a negative bias. Even so I'm surprised by how many flaws I found in this phone.
- Slim and light
- Text interface is very quick and easy to use
- Voice recognition is decent
- High-quality camera
- Large, high-res display
- Phone feels solid
- Awkward to hold
- Web browser is completely useless for anything but cell phone friendly sites (gives "File too large" error for most websites; can't scroll around web pages)
- Does not automatically store anything to the memory card, making it impractical (you have to explicitly copy or move something to memory card, so you can only record up to the amount of free internal memory)
- Cannot do anything else while listening to MP3s
- Refuses to play files with names longer than 32 characters or bitrate above 192kbps; very annoying
- No seeking in mp3 player
- Internet access is extremely slow on the phone, but fast from a tethered computer
- Slot covers feel flimsy and will probably tear off at some point
- Display stays lit while charging
- Speakerphone is too quiet
- Battery life is horrid
- Too easy to press the select button when using the arrow pad
- Does not copy contacts TO sim card
- Does not sort contacts when copying FROM sim card
- Cannot cancel SMS transmission once it starts
d807 - well worth the wait
As a Samsung fan, I'd been waiting quite some time for Cingular to come out with one of Samsung's higher end phones. So far, this seems to be a winner. The sound quality is good (no problems w/ volume as others have noted). The voice command feature really works - it's not as cumbersome as other phones. THe Bluetooth is seamless. The big screen is great! As a 40-something starting to get the "long arm disease", it's nice to be able to see the screen with glasses. There really aren't any real drawbacks, but I guess one might be the proprietary plug on the d807. I had lots of accessories for my e730 that are now ready for the trash heap. Oh well - small price to pay for a good phone.
AD reviews continues below...
i love this phone!!!
i just switched from verizon to cingular and i love it so far. This phone in particular is great much better than anything verizon can offer.
NOT PLEASED YET!
I am one of the few people that love my razr phone and I have had one a while. I decided to get this new slider to try out.
Easy to navigate
Will not get good reception at all!
I live in a rural area where I have just found a few brands of phones to work at. My razr worked and any nokia works great. This phone dosen't get any signal at all where my razr got 5 bars.
Killer Phone..Throwing away, or selling, our 2 RAZRs
After 13 horrendous months with Razrs, finally Cingular has a QuadBand with a wonderfully elegant, intuitive OS. How Moto is able to get away with what is obviously the worst, least rational and intuitive OS is beyond my comprehension. I rank Moto with MS as arrogant, brutish and egomaniacal. Remember what Moto's Chairman said about the nano vs. the Moto iTunes phone?
better than good speakerphone
better cam and vid than Razr (ours have no vid)
fabulous screen/detail and contrast
wonderful voice dialing..no setup required
easy "silent" mode (as opposed to Razr's non-existent one
wonderful bluetooth, far superior to Moto..able to shoot photos/vids to my Powerbook
No ring tones included (Cingular's greed, not Samsung)
Ridiculous connector plug for charging and linking
Same for audio in/out pin
Also, my guess is that the "door" to the plug/pin will break off..fast
I have no interest in the MP3 function as I love my nano so no comments.
After badgering Cingular they basically gave us $200 ($100 off each phone, within only 13 months) and we still have the 2 Razrs, one unlocked, one permanently locked. Any offers?
I've had cell service since the first US test market in Chicago in '85 and have had every carrier and phone, type and maker, since. This is a wonderful phone! And, contrary to a few of the other reviewers, I think the volume of the earpiece and the speakers is fine. The ringer could be louder though.
Great phone... but few accesories
Well the phone is awesome, and I really do like it. I've not had it more than a few hours. I just love the look and feel.
Ease of use
Screen (wow it's good)
Features (especially blue-tooth, mp3 player and voice command)
Price (excluding accessories)
No accessories - they are expensive
Cingular doesn't stock many accessories either
Speaker-phone is quiet
Only 2 games preloaded