Home  ›  Forums  ›

phonescoop.com

all discussions

show all 8 replies

site brown-out

Rich Brome

Oct 22, 2010, 8:54 PM
We were hit with a nasty distributed attack this evening. (Someone tried to bring down the site. I don't know why.)

We seem to have it under control now, although it's taking a while for everything to fully recover.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
Amarantamin

Oct 22, 2010, 8:57 PM
Glad the sites back up, silly someone would attack it.

Thanks for the hard work!
Thefireballkid

Oct 22, 2010, 9:03 PM
but why would anyone want to attack the site? must have been an iPhone user. or maybe one of the spanish speakers you banned! 😉
Rich Brome

Oct 22, 2010, 9:11 PM
There are international criminals who go around attacking major sites, then approaching owners for a payment to make it stop. It's more common than most people realize.

I don't know if that's what happened tonight. I haven't been approached and wouldn't pay if I were. But it happens... and that's the only logical explanation that comes to mind.
Amarantamin

Oct 22, 2010, 9:13 PM
Sounds like a way to turn a profit off of a botnet.

A greedy, illegal, and somewhat annoying way. Kind of like an internet mugging.

I bet Facebook users would pay faster than major website owners to have their pages working again. They'd probably pay more, too.
speedywalk

Oct 22, 2010, 9:34 PM
https:// » protocol was flawless during the attack...
https://www.phonescoop.com/forums/forum.php?fm=m&ff= ... »
Any idea why?
Rich Brome

Oct 22, 2010, 10:15 PM
That's a quirk of the web server software. HTTPS is a somewhat separate part of the software with its own pool of resources (memory, etc.) So when HTTP is maxed out, HTTPS may still be available, even on the same server. It depends on the exact situation, though, and there were points tonight where HTTPS was down, too.
speedywalk

Oct 23, 2010, 10:45 AM
that was something I was wondering about. I know concepts of server apps and whatnot, but I have no idea how they actually tick!
Researcher

Oct 23, 2010, 4:46 PM
I wondered what it was. Glad you got it back and thanks for your dedication and hard work.

This made you earn that big salary you get! 🤣

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.