Apple iPhone X
Phone Scoop Review
Nov 9, 2017 by Eric M. Zeman
Apple's iPhone X represents the company's vision of the future. If we follow Apple's gaze, we see an all-screen handset with advanced facial recognition and powerful imaging features. The iPhone X is no doubt a big step forward for Apple, but is that step in the right direction? Find out in Phone Scoop's full review. read review ›
hide detailed ratings
I had such high hopes and expectations
I bought this device on launch day at my local VZW store. 4 days later I returned it and went with the iPhone 8 Plus. While this phone did have some great ideas I felt as though it left a lot to be desired. I love all iOS has to offer and how stable it is. Hereâs my breakdown:
- stunning display
- outstanding camera
- exceptional build quality
- audio volume on dual external speakers are the loudest Iâve heard on any phone
- facial recognition worked 99/100 times
- A11 chipset handles everything you can throw at it
- gestures become redundant and excessive to perform many tasks such as closing apps, or pulling down from the corners to access the control center
- screen size is actually less then that of the plus models
- keyboard is noticeably smaller and harder to use (compared to + models)
- the narrower screen makes the font on websites and apps smaller and harder to read (again compared to + models)
- the price is ridiculous
Overall if you like the non-plus models youâll probably like this phone. Iâve had the 6s+ and 7 plus which I enjoyed very much. The wider screen aspect ratio makes reading and watching videos much easier and enjoyable. After using the gestures I found myself asking why was so little thought put into this function? A home button and others like those used by the Note 8 would have been so much more user friendly. I like the direction Apple is going but for those of us who like a bigger phone there is a lot of room for improvement. Thereâs a reason more people buy the 7/8 plus models. I like a big, wide phone. No zoomed view on the home screen was another lost feature which makes no sense.
hide detailed ratings
iPhone X is just okay.
My review of the IPhone X, on a scale to 1 to 10 is a 6. With the heavy price tag, I expected to be wowed.
* I am not a power User so the battery life on this phone is fine with me. With my previous droid phone I had to charge it every few hours and keep a charger with me. I donât have to do that anymore.
* The screen resolution is pretty good and the speaker is pretty good too.
* I really do like the facial recognition. I donât even remember a password anymore because of the facial recognition. Which is cool with me.
* Like that I can customize my alerts and notifications.
* I have the 64 gb phone, I donât have to start deleting stuff as soon. I installed Google Photos to automatically upload my photos to save space.
* I lost my phone and upon getting a new phone I was able to restore all my contacts from the iCloud.
* I have never experienced a dropped call or bad cell quality. But I do have Verizon.
* The problem I have sometimes when youâre Recording a video it gets hot and shut downs.
* And sometimes while Iâm in an app like Facebook it kicks me out. Thatâs not cool.
* Oh I do have an issue with copying a text message. Sometimes the thumbs up and heart symbol pops up instead of copying . They couldâve made that process simpler.
* Sometimes, I have issues with the touch screen. It will either not respond at all or respond âintermittentlyâ to touch, or âreactâ without being touched at all. I hear Apple is offering a replacement screen as a fix. For $1k I expect that shouldâve been resolved.
* Itâs difficult to find the setting to stop an app from charging you. Especially those 1 month free apps then a monthly charge. I have to google how to turn it off.
* Google Maps still Iâm driving better than the IPhone maps. But it is better than the previous version.