Phone Scoop Review
Oct 16, 2008 by Eric M. Zeman
Here it is. The "GPhone". The Google Phone. The HTC G1 is the first phone running Google's Android platform. Does it pass muster? read review ›
Best Phone I ever Had
he T-Mobile G1 features a full QWERTY keyboard, 3G support, Wi-Fi, GPS, and Bluetooth. The Google Android operating system offers good integration with Google applications as well as access to the Amazon MP3 Store and YouTube. As more applications become available, the G1 will also become a more powerful smartphone for all types of users.
Not bad for the first Android
I had one, but sold it so I can get a Cliq. Well, let's get into it.
The battery sucks.
Low memory (I know this was the first Android, but still....).
No 3.5 headphone jack.
No dropped calls
Easy to use keyboard
Many apps to choose from.
Sometimes, I miss it. but I gotta keep up with the Jones, Kardashians, etc..... G2, where ya at?
Advertisements reviews continues below...
I LOVE THIS PHONE!
well after been with cricket for so long i finally decided to get t-mobile and this phone is great for me!!! it has very cool themes, the screen responds right away the Internet is very fast too; also I've heard that tethering on this phone would be slow;; but its so fast i feel like if i have DSL; the only thing that i really didn't like is that when ever you go to your call history or text messages or etc. it takes a while to load;; but other than that its great!!!
Awesome with some Drawbacks
I have a G1 now, and love it! I will probably go back to using this even after I upgrade to my next Android device. (That's right - I'm sold on Android)
Let's talk pros and cons.
-Great touchscreen (I text using the virtual keyboard on it most times now) and features.
-Free apps, and paid ones as well.
-Extra features and speed with Root.
-Synced with GMail
-No headphone jack (3.5mm)
All in all good phone if you're not using this for media purposes, and don't use the phone often, great choice! But if you're looking to get the most from your device with high usage, I'd recommend checking out one of the G1's successors.
I am overwhelmed by what this phone can do. I love everything about this phone, well except the keyboard i love the keyboard and all but the buttons are not bubbly enough, eh well! the phone still rocks!
Had the phone for about a year
I was one of the silly early-adopters of the phone back when T-Mobile released it. Fell in love with it immediately, though this was my first real smartphone since updating from the more basic cellphones, so I may be biased. :)
- Syncs with a lot of Google services
- Physical Keyboard!
- Effortlessly browses mobile-friendly pages, and even SOME non-mobile friendly pages!
- Responsive touch-capacitive
- Decent 3G speed, clear calls!
- Android market allows for many creative apps, less relaxed restrictions vs. iPhone's app market
- Android OS ! Runs on Linux kernel! Android's biggest plus is being able to run multiple apps in the background, based on unix
- Beautiful, VERY bright screen
- Geek friendly phone!
- CPU: Capable of 528MHz, but underclocked to 245-384 MHz to prevent overheating / increase bat. life. There is an app to overclock, at the expense of bat. life or overheating!
- System Memory: 192MB DDR-RAM! Most smartphones older than the G1 have 256-288MB DDR-RAM! After the phone loads, it leaves very little memory available for stuff like apps that customize your home-screen.
Note: There are apps to turn your microSD card into more 'memory' for your phone are out there, plus a 'task manager' to close programs still hiding in memory.. Joe Sixpack likely won't know about this, though.
- Games: A year and nothing truly mind-blowing. The phone is quite Java-heavy, a programming language that is friendly only to basic, boring games. 3D games can be done, but some devs say its difficult, and attempts I've seen are bland and unimpressive vs. iPhone's games.
- Size: May be too big for most, especially if compared vs. the iPhone. Turns into a beast of a phone if one decides to add a protective shell to the phone.
- Android Market's openness results in a lot of stupid apps like the 'fart app'.. Or dumb kids thinking this phone is a Sidekick on steroids giving useful apps poor ratings because they don't know how to use them!
The best phone I've ever use. Needs a better camera and headphone jack. A bigger screen would be nice too.
One Of The BEST!!
I sell phones and have been through very many! I have owned the storm, iphone, diamond, all those and none compare to what the g1 can do. I love to be able to customize my phone and all the apps are amazing!
Only Con I really Have is the battery life. Which is not that big of a deal.
The Definition Of Elegancy....
this phone is the best ive owned
it trully is versatile
1.(trackball like blackberry) 2.(touchscreen like instinct) 3.(qwerty keyboard like voyager) 4.(smart like iphone) 4.(first google phone with android)
very responsive touchscreen...awesome design..upgradable android market..
i love it!!!!
Love this phone!
This is the most functional phone I have ever owned. I absolutely love Android.
I only wish it had a better camera.