Home  ›  Forums  ›

Canada

all discussions

show all 5 replies

Prepaid / Pay-As-You-Go

SgtFlaman

Mar 26, 2005, 3:49 PM
So I'm driving up to Saskatchewan in May for 2 weeks for a vacation. I'm probably going to need a cell phone while I'm up there. What are the activation fees for some of the carriers? Who has a better deal in terms of how far a certain dollar amount will get you for minutes? Who has the cheapest phones? Not going to buy a $300 for half a month. As far as I know, Sasktel, Telus and Rogers all operate in Saskatoon, could be others I'm unaware of.
elmo01

Apr 9, 2005, 12:23 PM
SgtFlaman said:
So I'm driving up to Saskatchewan in May for 2 weeks for a vacation. I'm probably going to need a cell phone while I'm up there. What are the activation fees for some of the carriers? Who has a better deal in terms of how far a certain dollar amount will get you for minutes? Who has the cheapest phones? Not going to buy a $300 for half a month. As far as I know, Sasktel, Telus and Rogers all operate in Saskatoon, could be others I'm unaware of.

where are you now and what service provider do you have...it may be cheaper
WesternCanadian

Apr 13, 2005, 10:36 PM
Agreed. The roaming rates for your current carrier (if you switched to a North American plan) might not be all that bad. (Don't forget to account for the exchange rate when comparing Cdn. rates: C$1 = US$0.85 roughly.

Prepaid rates are all over the map, depending on quantity that you buy at a time, but often Canadian 25-35 cents/min. Activation for your phone shouldn't be more than C$20-25.

If you have an unlocked GSM phone, Fido offers a decent prepaid SIM card deal: C$25 to buy SIM and get assigned a phone #; then, add airtime in C$10 increments (Cdn. 30 cents/min., good for 30 days) or C$30 increments (Cdn. 15 cents/min., good for 60 days). Airtime cards can be bought at most any convenience store, some gas stations and some d...
(continues)
elmo01

Apr 16, 2005, 6:00 AM
WesternCanadian said:
Agreed. The roaming rates for your current carrier (if you switched to a North American plan) might not be all that bad. (Don't forget to account for the exchange rate when comparing Cdn. rates: C$1 = US$0.85 roughly.

Prepaid rates are all over the map, depending on quantity that you buy at a time, but often Canadian 25-35 cents/min. Activation for your phone shouldn't be more than C$20-25.

If you have an unlocked GSM phone, Fido offers a decent prepaid SIM card deal: C$25 to buy SIM and get assigned a phone #; then, add airtime in C$10 increments (Cdn. 30 cents/min., good for 30 days) or C$30 increments (Cdn. 15 cents/min., good for 60 days). Airtime cards can be bought at most any conve
(continues)
WesternCanadian

Apr 18, 2005, 6:29 PM
elmo01 said:
WesternCanadian said:

If you have an unlocked GSM phone, Fido offers a decent prepaid SIM card deal: C$25 to buy SIM and get assigned a phone #; then, add airtime in C$10 increments (Cdn. 30 cents/min., good for 30 days) or C$30 increments (Cdn. 15 cents/min., good for 60 days).

he can use your method quite easily if he has an unlocked phone...(buying a fido or rogers prepaid sim)

airtime cards do no good at all from a gsm based phone... its the sim that determines the billing... if he was to keep the same sim he has now and use a prepaid card... he would still be billed his roaming rate...

That's how I prefaced my comments: "IF you have an unlock...
(continues)
gayjay

Jun 26, 2005, 12:43 PM
pre paid is good for traveling. 🙄 i loves it.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.