Home  ›  Forums  ›

Tricked Out

all discussions

show all 46 replies

NOTHING IS FREE

cherrypie1001

Mar 19, 2005, 12:08 AM
I've been doing some reasearch online and spoke with some of my friends who have done this and have found some questionable sites for downloading ringtones. They also have flashy ads on TV and in magazines. You text message a code for the tone or graphic to a 5 digit #, so far i have seen 25000 - for DirtyHippo.com ... OR ... 75555 and 35555 for Jamster.com, for your "FREE" ringtone or graphic. And it seems that the first one is "FREE" but once you recieve the first one and then you decide to order another one, for the low low price of 1.99. Guess what?? You're signed up for a minimum of 4 weeks from the time you originally signed up for the paid download and depending on what you signed up for you're charged 1.99 for each message you r...
(continues)
Phydeaux

Mar 19, 2005, 12:47 PM
Permission to use this post as an illustration to my customers?

I get the "I don't want it if I can't download stuff from off the TV with it." comment all the time.
cherrypie1001

Mar 20, 2005, 2:29 AM
Be my guest, anything to help reduce trouble later 🙂
li_deng888

Mar 31, 2005, 4:25 PM
this public beta site is truely free:

http://www.funformobile.com/ »

hope it helps...
the_fireman

Sep 11, 2005, 3:44 PM
I doubt that site will be round long...I"m not sure how they really can do that without charging.
drunkcubsfan02

Dec 30, 2006, 1:48 PM
i work in customer service for dobson cellular. M-QUBE Mblox Jamster and Fun Mobile are a CSR'S worst nightmare for the people that sign up for those and don't even realize it. that bill when they see a $1.99 or a $5.99 or a $9.99 reoccurring charge on there bill my god it can be a long and drawn out conversation.
bulldogg

Jan 17, 2007, 5:52 PM
oh I so agree and I hate hearing from the cust "I did not sign up for that". Unfortunately you did and that ringer you downloaded 8 months ago and never thought nothing about is the marketing program you signed up for. Sorry charges are valid you agreed to them.
Rich Brome

Apr 7, 2005, 2:06 PM
Yep, Jamster is totally a scam, and they
are being sued for it:

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000160039040/ »
Vox Dei

Aug 18, 2005, 4:01 PM
That's cool. Cause the cell companys are usually the ones who take the flack and there isn't really anyway for the cell companys to charge back to the Jamster who is charging.
Vox Dei

Aug 18, 2005, 4:09 PM
And i so wish i had enough money that i could sue companys that screw me or others. Unfortunatly i cannot afford to higher lawers for a $75 law suit 😛
evilbstrd666

May 21, 2006, 3:39 PM
Did you read the article? The carriers are getting sued too. Wonder how that works, exactly.....
bulldogg

Jan 17, 2007, 6:16 PM
Don't make any sense when by law we have to pass the charges on the cust. We are stuck in the middle and get all the flak from the cust have little choice other than educ cust how to cancel.
ringtonefetish

Apr 19, 2005, 1:21 AM
If you haven't joined MatrixM.com you are missing the entire party. It is beyond free - it's Mecca! You will thank me for this.
andykus

Aug 18, 2005, 11:48 AM
DaDaMobile.com is a site to be wary of. They advertise that you can get 10 free ringtones. As soon as you type in your cell phone number you have immediately subscribed to their monthly service costing $9.99 per month for download to your cell phone. Underneath the slot for the phone number is very tiny print that says "terms and agreement". It's so small that you wouldn't pay any attention to it. If, however, you do open it, it is there where they tell you that by putting in your cell phone number you have agreed to a monthly subscription of $9.99 per month to be billed by your cell phone provider. It's not easy to get out of it either. I would recommend never visiting that site.
lovingchaos1978

Aug 19, 2005, 10:46 AM
I do agree Jamster and all fo the online ring tone sites I know of are all scams. We are in the age of the ignorant consumer. It saddens me actually. These people that have been scammed by jamster and are now suing remind of smokers suing tobacco companies. Read the terms and conditions of anything before you agree. I don't feel like anybody was scammed, I feel they didn't take the time to research and read the contract they agree to.
madpuffcalm

Aug 19, 2005, 9:40 PM
but the fact that a company uses that against people in such a shady way is somewhat disturbing to me. i mean if went to McDonalds and bought a happy meal with a coupon, i wouldnt expect to be locked into a contract saying that i had to pay for a happy meal a day for a month....just because i missed a line in the fine print. Ringtones have no place having contracts.
rpschultz

Dec 20, 2006, 9:52 PM
I'm trying to find a ringtone for Strawberry Letter 23 and I don't mind paying for it but I don't want to be sucked in to a contract that is difficult to get out of. I have read the Terms of a few sites but stories like these make me wonder if I can trust them. Also, emails to those sites asking for clarification have gone unanswered.
not2brite

Dec 20, 2006, 11:51 PM
August 19, 2005 reply from the original post March 19, 2005.

OVER A YEAR AGO!!!

Step back from the keyboard...
StoreLead

Dec 31, 2006, 1:48 PM

WTF?!?!?!?!?

ARE YOU FREAKING SERIOUS???

idiot 🙄
not2brite

Jan 2, 2007, 1:00 PM
Man, read my screen name...

so, who's the idiot here?
cadillacman1986

Sep 9, 2005, 12:17 PM
😳 I added a line to my Cingular account, and on the bill I noticed some $1.99 charges on my account, for which I could not account for, knowing that I only downloaded one ringtone for $2.49 from Cinuglar. I immediately called up and discovered they were from Jamster.com. I called Jamster to see what was up, since I have never called or txt'd them or anything. They said I started to subscribe to them in January. I told them this was not possible, because this second line wasn't opened until July! The rep said she would send me a check in the mail for the $3.98 and that the subscriptions stay on the phone # even after you disconnect! So beware of this happening to any new numbers you open. Just check under your extra charges, it will s...
(continues)
lorilicious

Sep 10, 2005, 2:16 PM
thanks for the information! Jamster should be illegal! that's so sneaky and pretty much bs.
Vox Dei

Sep 16, 2005, 10:59 AM
Unfortunatly you can't make a company illegal unless it's selling something illegal...It can sell something legal but still be selling it illegaly...Of course right now Jamster is being sued for the way it sells it's product...so we will see what comes of that.
lovingchaos1978

Sep 16, 2005, 5:38 PM
It was probablly added to that number in January before you owned it. That is one of the scams they pull.
75vette

Sep 19, 2005, 6:40 PM
lesson learned don't use jamster 😁
sbtyler12

Jun 20, 2006, 12:53 PM
jamster charged me 200$ i could not make them stop i had to cancel my phone line and get a new number jamster needs to be sued
katman_blue

Sep 20, 2005, 8:15 PM
If you want free ringtones go to walmart.com, search for a song title you want in the music section, then right click the link to the 30 second preview they give you and select Properties. The properties box will display the URL of that link. Go on the browser on your phone and type in that link, the 30 second preview should automatically download to your phone for FREE and can be saved as a ringtone.

Of course, only I know this because I am brilliant and all of you are losers who pay for Jamster without reading the fine print in the commercial.
maryberry4696

Sep 21, 2005, 11:30 AM
Just be careful- the free clips from walmart uses about 210 kb which is about $2.10 if you pay per use for internet usage
katman_blue

Sep 21, 2005, 8:13 PM
I dont have an internet plan but it does not charge me per kilobyte either, only minutes. So for me its a measly 2 or 3 minutes off my plan which already has plenty of minutes.
RKN_JEEP

May 14, 2006, 2:13 PM
hmm this didn't work on my nokia 6682, its said that the site is unknow or is not supported
katman_blue

May 14, 2006, 2:25 PM
You cant do it anymore. Walmart changed their website so it doesnt work anymore. It used to be a URL, now its an mms.

www.funformobile.com just make your own ringtones. its easy
vfrpilot

Jan 7, 2007, 9:44 PM
No, it will still work.
Use the same initial method, go to the 30 sec clip, right-click & choose Save Target - then go the file, rename the extension to .mid & email it to your phone - then save as a ring tone.
It works on Vzw 😎
bluerobin

Sep 21, 2005, 11:49 PM
Tried your idea a few times with no luck on 2 different phones through Cingular. One phone says it cannot find page and the other says that the browser settings are incomplete. Any ideas?
mrdeth

Sep 22, 2005, 11:03 PM
I knew about this over a year ago so who you talkin bout? 😈
chicorey06

Feb 12, 2006, 12:53 AM
How much of the url link should i copy or follow?
mrniceguy

Feb 12, 2006, 8:18 PM
all of it
smilingjoker525

Feb 15, 2006, 3:41 PM
well the only crappy thing is i did do the walmart.com thing for so long and now they changed the message. it's no longer a web address it is now a mms message so it doesn't show up as a web page
yeahright

Feb 16, 2006, 4:15 PM
just save it on your desktop and send the file as a text message to your phone, when you get it just save the file, this works on a lot of phones.
Insert Witty Name Here

Feb 16, 2006, 6:21 PM
You rock.

Where's my bag of reward cookies?
waywardcell

Apr 23, 2006, 2:14 AM
Just a quick note as well... Vblock (the text block for verizon) doesnt stop the charge... doesnt matter if the phone gets the message or not. once they send you get charged.
Jennyboo

May 18, 2006, 7:14 PM
I have so many people coming in with astronomical charges on their account, and we can only give a one time credit for them because it doesn't have anything to do with us. It sucks, total scam
crxtreme89

May 19, 2006, 8:04 PM
Thanks for your insightful information. Next time you people should read the bottom of the TV screen where it tells you these charges on the commercials. And you're right, nothing is free if you are paying something to get the free item. Simple logic.
evilbstrd666

May 21, 2006, 3:35 PM
Gee, isn't that what every lawyer suggests when signing paperwork?

Essentially, you are sending them your signature, that you approve of the charges (even if you haven't read them or understand them).

So, unfortunately, yes, they can and will charge you.
OoohShiny

Jan 14, 2007, 3:01 PM
www.ringtones4all.com is free, but they are polytones.
tjedwards

Jan 19, 2007, 9:26 AM
this site is totally free no strings. i have been a member for awhile.
http://www.mytinyphone.com/ »
my page of rintones and walls that i have found and made.
http://www.mytinyphone.com/user/tjedwards/ »
there are .mp3 and poly tones,walls and screensavers.
i have never used the option to download straight to the phone( so i'm not sure how well that works)
but i have downloaded to the pc and that works great. 😁
lefteyeiu2006

Jan 24, 2007, 10:56 PM
Where can I get this free nothing? At the grocery store? At T-Mobile? At Best Buy? I want to know where to get this free nothing!!!! Tell me!
tjedwards

Jan 25, 2007, 8:54 AM
LMAO!!

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.