Jan 28, 2007, 11:58 AM
Why do people still post links.
I dont want to wait til I go home to look at that link, post the article
phonemechanic

Jan 28, 2007, 12:00 PM
$31,000 cell phone bill stuns Sarasota retiree
By TODD RUGER

todd.ruger@heraldtribune.com

SARASOTA -- Oliver DeSofi's normal cell phone bill is about $150 on a family plan, and he used about 183 minutes on his phone in October.

But when the 77-year-old retiree opened his Cingular Wireless bill in November, he saw $21,420 in roaming charges for more than 4,500 calls from Nicaragua -- where he's never been -- to numbers he's never called.

DeSofi immediately called Cingular and found out another $9,554 in charges from the Central American country were already on his next bill.

DeSofi told the company it was fraud. Cingular's fraud department disagreed. The company has spent the past two months trying to collect the $31,000 bill....
(continues)
ima_gn0me

Jan 29, 2007, 1:50 PM
I bet he did use it. 😕
DJ Parkay

Jan 30, 2007, 7:22 PM
Sounds just like the fruitloop that was just in my store...
biznass

Jan 28, 2007, 6:35 PM
That's ****ing ridiculous. He got some really ****ty representation at that company. I would not ever go back there. Sounds like his ESN was ghosted or whatever. How ****ty of Cingular. One MORE reason not to go there!
colione112

Jan 28, 2007, 11:46 PM
Um.. we don't use ESN's anymore...
SarahJo

Jan 29, 2007, 9:15 AM
Another reason I will never switch to Cingular.

Just working here, I hear all the horror stories of how people are treated. Some of Cingular's policies are just... 🙄
chocolateman85006

Jan 29, 2007, 9:35 AM
I use Cingular and Verizon, as well as work for Cingular, also. Belive me, Verizon has its crap too!
Sprint_SAS

Jan 29, 2007, 3:17 PM
its that the way im at Sprint, lol we have very efficent fraud dep, i make a case the other day for 2,000dlls for a strange usage that custy sya taht he never make, so fraud dep get that issue and fixed very fast, 2 days and custy was very happy... 😎

sprint rules 😉

regards

Sprint SAS Agnt
biznass

Jan 30, 2007, 11:59 AM
well, whatever the equivalent is.
Crapbag

Jan 30, 2007, 3:24 PM
Sure, we use a combination of Sim numbers and imei numbers to validate an account. Generally it uses you Sim card number to identify your account. If you are calling out of your home market it uses the Imei to authenticate as well.
Hayate

Jan 29, 2007, 11:56 AM
Were you around for the Verizon math threads? The dollar amount may not have been as high but it was every bit as ridiculous. It's not like one person dealing with a crappy situation is something that should make everyone avoid that company. If that were the case, no one would be able to shop anywhere, I'm sure.
not2brite

Jan 29, 2007, 11:58 AM
Remember, any press is good press!
Hayate

Jan 29, 2007, 12:30 PM
This story sounds similar to something that happened to my grandfather several years ago right after they'd moved to Phoenix. He made two charges on his credit card (with an obscenely high limit, apparently) in Arizona late one day and one in Arizona early the next day. In between those two charges was a $14,000+ charge somewhere in India. The charge said the card was physically swiped (so did the Arizona ones). The time between the two legitimate charges in Arizona wouldn't have even been enough time to fly one way to India, let alone there and back.

Despite the obvious fact that the charge in India was false (no record of him leaving the country, it was physically impossible to make the trip in such a short time, and the fact that h...
(continues)
chocolateman85006

Jan 29, 2007, 1:21 PM
Yeah; i"m in phx and had a stolen phone & that person did over $600 worth of damage to my acct. The Verizon rep told me that it was suspended, yet i called 611 later that evening and said that it was never suspended. Maybe Verizon hates Phoenix people?
captainplooky

Jan 29, 2007, 3:56 PM
...and the customer is always right?
DJ Parkay

Jan 30, 2007, 7:43 PM
What was the VZW math thing?
DJ Parkay

Jan 30, 2007, 7:32 PM
Cingular doesnt use ESN's they use SIM cards.
chocolateman85006

Jan 29, 2007, 12:51 PM
Damn!
3g-g-g-unit

Jan 29, 2007, 6:44 PM
Seems like a lot of companies, from top to bottom (marketing/advertising directors to the store reps) are insecure with Cingular. Your commercials mention the name Cingular more often than their own commercials and you reps are on here always trying to sling mud at them as well. Meanwhile, RARELY do I see Cingular reps having to bash other service providers.

I watch Sprint commercials with Sprint comparing their data service with the old Cingular EDGE service and of course not comparing it with the HSPDA while the 2 guys are sitting in what appears to be a metropolitan area. Then you got Chad the Alltell junkie who OBVIOUSLY takes his job WAAAAY to seriously, chasing all the other reps around the mall to tell how great his current promoti...
(continues)
chocolateman85006

Jan 29, 2007, 6:56 PM
And a good laugh.
MetroTet

Jan 30, 2007, 12:21 PM
i Notice how you guys are so bleh about your carriers, i'm horribly secure about mine, and why because in the year that i've had metro, i have no exprienced a single unexplained failure of service billing, or customer care.. metro owns... and so help me god i'm going to be working there soon enough...
chocolateman85006

Jan 30, 2007, 12:44 PM
If phoenix had metro, I'd get it.
captainplooky

Jan 30, 2007, 3:15 PM

Then you got Chad the Alltell junkie who OBVIOUSLY takes his job WAAAAY to seriously, chasing all the other reps around the mall to tell how great his current promotion is.

Wow... talk about perception bias.

Most of those commercials have the other networks discussing Alltell, and approaching Chad in the store.

Mostly the online videos, which you were not referencing, actually show Chad being proactive in that regard.

Btw, didn't the other carriers eventually offer the same thing (allbeit not as thorough) as Alltell?
Nikoletta

Jan 30, 2007, 11:05 PM
I actually had a bit of a laugh at the last Altell commercial (we don't actually get Altell service in my area but they still have commercials on because we get most of our TV from the next metro over.) about how they were expanding their plan that gave you free calling to a group of phone numbers from 5 free to 10... here's why I laugh

We offer the 5 free and I doubt we're going to bump it to 10, there's no point.

We didn't pick 5 because that's what Altell was offering, we picked it because the research supports it.

What the research (don't ask me where they did this research... this is what they quote us but I find it holds true for most of the people I know) is that two thirds of your calls, on any given day/week/month/year are ...
(continues)
Crapbag

Jan 30, 2007, 3:18 PM
Don't forget the new one from Sprint about unlimited in calling. Its on a Jobsite kind of like the dropped cals commercial. "Unlimited incoming calls for buisness lines, not even Cingular has that", is how it goes i think.
SiestaRandy

Jan 30, 2007, 3:05 PM
I called this guy and offered him a free phone and a store credit. He lives in my town. Left a message and havent heard back from him yet. I did mention that I dont carry Cingular.
Crapbag

Jan 30, 2007, 3:28 PM
Take Him! It sounds like another charge back waiting to happen.
SiestaRandy

Jan 30, 2007, 4:30 PM
Read the article. His normal bill is $150 a month. He is 70 somthing. Cingular credited him $120 so he wont get stuck with a big ETF. I just hope Im not too late.
Crapbag

Jan 30, 2007, 6:47 PM
I did read the article. What i noticed is that it didn't give how long he had service. A regular bill of $150 for how long? I also noticed that Cingular adjusted the issue and gave him a bonus of $120 to come back yet he declined out of spite. It also sounds like they waived the etf along with other fees. If he is willing to welch on a contract just because of a technicality and whining then i wouldn't want to sign him.
rvabikes

Jan 30, 2007, 10:07 PM
What? Are you literate? Not only did they charge him $31,000...they told him he'd have to pay because it wasn't fraudulent. Hmmm...calls to 000-000-0000? Yeah...I'd cancel too.
Crapbag

Jan 30, 2007, 10:18 PM
I wouldn't be able to respond if i weren't literate. Let alone type. 😉

I saw that. I also noticed that it was taken care of. The charges were credited along with any other fees that would have incurred like his monthly service, ETF, and restoral fee if he wanted it. On top of this they offered him $100+ dollars of credit if he wanted to come back.
Nikoletta

Jan 30, 2007, 11:10 PM
It was taken care of AFTER he got a lawyer involved, and had his service cut off when he needed it. No amount of money is worth being treated like a criminal and a liar, which is exactly how it sounds like he was treated. They told him at first that the charges stood and that he had to pay them, he had to go through all the grief and deal with probably being unable to get service anywhere else because if they sent him to collections it would have damaged his credit.

I wouldn't have gone back either, that's just bad customer service...
SiestaRandy

Jan 31, 2007, 9:08 AM
I got ten bucks that says he will never use Cingular/ATT ever again. They treated this poor old guy like s--t and they shoud be ashamed of themselves for doing it. Way to go ATT. Keep sending me new customers!!!!
Cheers.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.