Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 24 replies

MP3 Phones

Nikoletta

Jan 7, 2007, 2:45 PM
I have to say, I never anticipated putting MP3 players on phones would cause so much grief.

Phone companies are kind of bastards where they are concerned too... the phone comes with the player but it's not truly functional... the memory on most phones is pathetic, maybe three songs if you're lucky and then you have to buy a $60 memory card to put songs on it (and the T619 has to be the dumbest phone ever, abysmal memory and NO memory card slot at all.)

Additionally most of the phones we carry with a player do not come with a data cable, you have to buy those as well to transfer the songs (unless you have like a blue-tooth connector for you computer or your computer can read the memory cards and you transfer the music that way) which wi...
(continues)
Hayate

Jan 7, 2007, 3:00 PM
Yeah, it's annoying selling those to customers (aside from the w810i and the SLVR which come with the cables and software). I hate selling the Samsung d807 and explaining that they need to order a $50 kit from Samsung and then buy a decent headset and a memory card. The prices are outrageous. $50 for a freaking USB cable and a CD? The cost on actually manufacturing those items has to be like a dollar or two at most. It's a complete rip-off.

It's somewhat less annoying when people are setting up a family plan with three or four of the same kind of phone because they can all use the same kit, but if you sell multiple types of phones they need to shell out that kind of money for each phone.
alcave21

Jan 7, 2007, 3:09 PM
so what are you guys opnions on the sanyo m1.....cuz i might ge getting that one next week.... 😎
alcave21

Jan 7, 2007, 3:21 PM
so no advice on whether the sanyo m1 is good to get or not huh?

well thanx for not helping anyways......
Nikoletta

Jan 7, 2007, 3:29 PM
Well, poppet, do please remember that this is a forum, not a chat, so people don't respond all the time super fast, and not all of us have any info about the Sanyo phones... I never mentioned one, since my carrier doesn't use them at all.

I just think the cranky/bitterness is unnecessary is all.
alcave21

Jan 7, 2007, 3:35 PM
yeah where are my manners my apologies for thinking i could get an answer right away...but thank you for the insight...... 😎
RoyalBlu

Jan 7, 2007, 3:36 PM
🤣
SatansQueen

Jan 7, 2007, 4:20 PM
Well I was typing a response while I was talking on the phone with a customer, that's my excuse 🤣
SatansQueen

Jan 7, 2007, 3:22 PM
My opinion. I spent a couple of hours in our phone lab last night and played with it a little bit. Here is my 2 cents.

The first think I did, like I always do, was to check out the camera. Pretty good quality there, not grainy on the screen like some phones. I also tested the media player. I have to say I was a little less than impressed with the speaker quality, so if you are going to be using the media player alot (which I assume most people do), use a headset. The loading and play of the music over SIRIUS and Sprint Radio seemed quite smooth. There wasn't a long pause during loading like there was on 1xRTT.

I also tried out PAM (using our lab's Mac and PC) and got a pretty decent speed. I didn't run a speed test, but I would...
(continues)
alcave21

Jan 7, 2007, 3:24 PM
thank you but are you the good twin or the bad twin this time..... 😉
SatansQueen

Jan 7, 2007, 3:29 PM
Evil twin, always, mwahaha 😈
alcave21

Jan 7, 2007, 3:36 PM
lmfao...why did you get out of the lounge..... 😎
SatansQueen

Jan 7, 2007, 4:19 PM
They let me out from under the Sprint bridge once in a while too 😛
Nikoletta

Jan 7, 2007, 3:19 PM
Yep. I know my boss would be annoyed with me if they caught me at it but I will recommend alternatives...

For phones with a memory card, like an SD, Mini-SD, or Micro-SD those all come with adapters that will make them SD standard so I advise them to instead buy an adapter for their computer which allows them to plug the SD card into the computer and the computer will treat it like a Floppy Disk or Jump Drive. Those adapters you can get for $30 and will work for all the phones if they use the memory cards, the only difficult part is you have take the card out of the phone to do the transfer, but that's easy on most phones.

You can also get a Bluetooth Dongle for you computer if you have a phone that supports it (and anymore they do i...
(continues)
Hayate

Jan 7, 2007, 3:24 PM
And for the memory cards themselves, eBay is the way to go. I got an SD card that would normally be $60 or $70 in stores for $28 including shipping. It was new, just not in fancy packaging.
Nikoletta

Jan 7, 2007, 3:30 PM
Right and they all work the same, check around on the price, you can get a decent card at wally-world a lot of times cheaper.
wu10304

Jan 7, 2007, 3:52 PM
most computers now actually come with an sd slot. mine doesn't have one but i got the converter for $10 at radio shack and about the first post, most phones do come with a 64 mb card and you can find a 1g for like 30 bucks but we sell them for 50. it's really not a head ache once you learn how it works.
Nikoletta

Jan 7, 2007, 4:03 PM
Most of our phones don't come with the card, only the V360 that I know of. I was disappointed that my T609 didn't and my SDA didn't come with a card either (though in theory they were going to send a free 1 gig card, I bought the phone from a friend who says (and I trust him) he never got the card but if he does he'll give it to me since he has no use for it.) And even if they include a 64 Mb, it's still kind of weak, those cards hold MAYBE 8 songs, the fill up pretty fast.
wu10304

Jan 7, 2007, 4:26 PM
Nikoletta said:
And even if they include a 64 Mb, it's still kind of weak, those cards hold MAYBE 8 songs, the fill up pretty fast.

It depends on where you get the songs from. For instance if you get them from your computer or a cd the file size is bigger because it's meant for a computer or cd player but if you purchase the songs from sprint or cingular or whoever your provider is the file size is smaller and made for a phone. on my 64 mb card i have 60 songs from sprint and my memory is barely half full.
Nikoletta

Jan 7, 2007, 4:37 PM
I'm on BigPink and we don't actually sell the songs at all over the network... you have to bring them over from you computer (or if you have a friend with music on their phone they can BT it to you I suppose.)
wu10304

Jan 7, 2007, 4:57 PM
can't bluetooth cuz the songs are blocked but you could probably just put your memory card in their phone, get the songs, and then put the card back in your phone.
craptacularwireless

Jan 8, 2007, 4:43 PM
This is true, however, the sound quality suffers the smaller the file size gets. 192kbs is going to give you CD quality sound. Anything less sounds like poo.
sweetsoprano

Jan 8, 2007, 8:50 AM
Actually, I just bought the Nokia 6133 and it came with the headset, which I only use for the radio. The media player is one feature I don't see myself using. If I feel the need for an MP3 player, I will buy one at Target.
Nikoletta

Jan 9, 2007, 4:54 PM
But the MP3 player is often a big selling point on that phone and it still lacks two major pieces to make that feature work well... don't get me wrong, it's a fricken sweet phone (screen size OMG!) but they could do a better job at NOT shafting the customer.
biznass

Jan 8, 2007, 5:55 PM
By far the best MP3 phone. Expandable memory, comes with headset and data cable AND transferring files is a snap! I LOVE this phone. I won't give it up for anything.

On most of our phones you have to connect to vision to use the MP3 player. That's the most retarded thing ever because if you're out of coverage you can't use it! Stupid!

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.