Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 20 replies

Phone Pricing

monkeyracer

Jan 5, 2007, 8:25 PM
I wonder what it would be like if we displayed the full price of phones, and the discount price in much smaller print.

Let's play out a scenario:

New activation customer walks in, walks to the wall of phones, and sees a phone priced as $180, then looks a little closer and sees a smaller price with a title: "New customer's may be eligible to purchase this phone for $30 after instant discounts."

Existing customer looks at the sign and sees the two prices, but knows they already have the service, they ask what they would pay for it, and the rep tells them that since they qualify for the upgrade rebate they could get it for the new activation price.

Hopefully this stops existing customers asking what price they pay for the phone the...
(continues)
phoneyphonephone

Jan 5, 2007, 8:26 PM
Thats how we do it.
Still get dumb questions such as that. 😕
southtexrep

Jan 5, 2007, 8:28 PM
Your idea makes perfect sense and I agree with it. But only in a perfect world would that work. ☹️
craptacularwireless

Jan 5, 2007, 8:29 PM
It would work if people weren't total imbeciles. They'll find a way to not know what they're looking at and will still ask the price.
monkeyracer

Jan 5, 2007, 8:31 PM
Now that I think of it, there are a lot of people that are looking directly at the word FREE (who are eligible) and still ask how much it would be.

It would work if common sense were actually common.
jalanjalaning

Jan 5, 2007, 8:44 PM
I was at a radio shack the other day and that's how they had it

Retail (the biggest price)
2 year primary up
2 year standard up
1 year primary up
1 year standard up

it was awesome and i am so jealous of that...
we don't have any prices listed at all and when people ask me the price they think i'm lying and that i can bring down the price... i really can't... we're supposed to price it with accessories but i don't (it inspired only negative responses for me) so i can't go down on the price... i get accused of lying everyday and i don't like it.
craptacularwireless

Jan 5, 2007, 8:47 PM
I have some leeway as to how I can price the phones, but I lose commission if I discount too much. My commission is based on how much revenue is generated by each sale. I get a percentage of the revenue generated. The more of a discount I give, the lower the revenue generated will be. That's money out of my pocket. I'll only do it if a customer is about to walk out. I rather make two bucks than no money at all. Unless they're total dicks, then I'll let them leave.
biznass

Jan 5, 2007, 8:54 PM
Our company isn't consisted with their price phrasing.
One one phone the price in big numbers is after the mail in rebate, and the one next to it will be before mail in rebate (which makes more sense). It's stupid. I wish our company would get its **** together!
craptacularwireless

Jan 5, 2007, 8:55 PM
It wouldn't matter, customers would still find a way not to comprehend what they read.
monkeyracer

Jan 5, 2007, 9:16 PM
or hear for that matter, some don't get it even after telling them five times that they get a $75 discount with a new contract. They still ask if they get a free phone.
craptacularwireless

Jan 6, 2007, 4:27 PM
Or they say, "Don't I get some sort of discount for activating/upgrading?" I tell them, "Yes, the phone retails for $199.99, and you get it for $49.99. Don't you see that that's a discount of $150?" Of course they don't, their feeble brains won't allow them.
kiosk_hell

Jan 6, 2007, 8:55 PM
We got reamed by our RSM (you know who) for not having the lowest price listed on the tags (after instant savings, instant overlays, and MIR). As soon as we fixed it, people bitched because it was "false advertising". Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
krickt

Jan 6, 2007, 10:42 AM
As long as the industry continues to advertise $50 phones as "free" we are going to have people come in and want every phone we have for real free.
vzwbellstar

Jan 6, 2007, 10:46 AM
LOL! REAL free... only cell salespeople know what real free means
krickt

Jan 6, 2007, 11:02 AM
Real Free is the only kind of free that custies understand. I spend a third of my day explaining "Free"
sweetsoprano

Jan 6, 2007, 11:06 AM
krickt said:
Real Free is the only kind of free that custies understand. I spend a third of my day explaining "Free"

🤣 As do I...
craptacularwireless

Jan 6, 2007, 4:28 PM
Here in Cali there is no real free. They still have to pay the sales tax on the retail price of the phone.
kapwww

Jan 6, 2007, 4:15 PM
I've always said we should sell the phones at full retail no matter what. If a customer wants to sign a contract, give a discount off of the monthly service.

No contract = full price on monthly service. 1-year contract = 10% discount on monthly service. 2-year contract = 15% discount on monthly service. Still do credit checks for contract service. Obviously, you can insert any discount amount.

It would eliminate loads of confusion over prices. Upgrades? What are those?

At the end of 2 years, your discount will go away unless you sign another 2 years.
craptacularwireless

Jan 6, 2007, 4:29 PM
Me like.
monkeyracer

Jan 7, 2007, 11:03 AM
sounds a lot like apartment leases. Most will have you sign a lease, and during that period you will receive concessions. After your lease is up, your concessions go away, and if you sign a new lease, there are different concessions at that time. If you don't you go on a month to month plan.

I like it, I think the initial set up price will still get discounted by all the manufacturers to allow sub prime customers into the system.

Similar to apartments offering lower and lower deposits.

Flaw... If you have a phone two years and want a new one, you can renew for your monthly discount, but if you have it, let's say seven months, and break it (of course no insurance) the customer will still want to sign a new agreement to get even more ...
(continues)
chainsaw

Jan 6, 2007, 8:51 PM
WE have the retail price, the upgrade price, and the new customer price on our phones. Customers think they still get a discount off of the new customer price. I love telling them no!!!!

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.