Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 31 replies

Ethics Question

ralph_on_me

Dec 28, 2006, 9:03 PM
If you catch someone in your company, but not in your store, doing something illegal... do you report it? If your boss doesn't seem to care, do you go over their head? If their boss doesn't seem to care, do you take it outside the company?

Seriously.
Willwise

Dec 28, 2006, 9:06 PM
I would just because if they do get caught by someone who cares it could fall back on you for knowing it.
chainsaw

Dec 28, 2006, 9:06 PM
What type of illegal action? Were they doing lines of coke in the breakroom or were they stealing? I think it depends on what they were doing.
MrAbstracto

Dec 28, 2006, 9:08 PM
Go vigilante on their @ss.
StoreLead

Dec 28, 2006, 9:14 PM
depends on what it is... i'd say the severity of the crime is what should determine wether or not you go over your boss' head.
Hayate

Dec 28, 2006, 9:16 PM
It depends on two major things: what illegal activity, and who is the person? If it's someone you know and are friends with or even just on good terms with and it doesn't directly negatively affect you, you don't say anything.

If it's something that's illegal but doesn't hurt anyone (drugs, alcohol when underage, speeding, etc) you don't say anything.

If it's something like theft, vandalism, fraud, or something else that actually hurts someone, you just tell whoever you need to tell to make it stop.
ralph_on_me

Dec 28, 2006, 9:30 PM
#3.

I'm gonna try to talk to that store manager to make them aware of the problem tomorrow, but as I've never talked to them before it's going to be a delicate conversation.
MrAbstracto

Dec 28, 2006, 9:32 PM
F that ralph! cut off his hands in a fit of divine rage! Praise Jeebus!
SuperSerge76

Dec 29, 2006, 1:27 PM
OK Ralph. Check this out. I worked at Gamestop for a while, made it all the way to assistant manager. But check this out. I knew that my manager was commiting fraud and stealing money and video games. I went to our DM and presented the problem and he told me unless i had proof, they wouldn't be able to do anything.

Sure enough, as I brought it to the DM's attention, they were already investigating him. When they called him in one day for questioning, they claimed I was an accessory because I knew what was goin on. So the sooner you report it, the better.

By the way, My manager lost his job, his car, and about $16000 he had to pay back. I left the company shortly after due to harrassment
biznass

Dec 29, 2006, 3:45 PM
Do you have a confidential helpline you can call? I did that once about my new boss ripping my ass because I said I didn't like scary dogs (and she had two pit bulls that were like 'children' to her). She got fired 4 days later. It was badass 😁
craptacularwireless

Dec 29, 2006, 1:30 PM
I would tell unless it's a friend and it can't get back to me somehow. If the person's a dick, then I would get on it right away.
ralph_on_me

Dec 29, 2006, 1:34 PM
I'm gonna talk to the store manager next week and delicately let him know what's going on in his store without accusing anyone of anything.

I just don't feel like dealing with it before the weekend.
cingcing

Dec 29, 2006, 1:37 PM
Depends on how serious it is? Are they just slamming accounts? Or is it something else?
ralph_on_me

Dec 29, 2006, 1:41 PM
"bundling." it's called "bundling."

It's not even that, it's close, but it's worse and it's something that could cause their store quite a loss of revenue. I just wanna give the guy a CYA before it comes up and bites him.
SuperSerge76

Dec 29, 2006, 1:44 PM
Bundling?
ralph_on_me

Dec 29, 2006, 1:51 PM
Bundling is advertising plans with included features. Such as saying "Our plans start at $55 a month and include daytime, m2m, n&w, 1000 texts, and 1 mb of internet.", instead of saying "Our plans start at $40 a month and you can add on 1000 texts and 1 mb of internet for $15 more." That's legal, it's just a different way of marketing things.

Slamming is selling them the $40 plan, putting on the $15 feature, and not telling them they have it. That's fraud.

This situation is neither of those though.
SuperSerge76

Dec 29, 2006, 1:53 PM
Yea, see cuz I bundle features, I just bundle it by telling them the exact prices by saying "you'd get the 39.99 plan with the additional $10 messaging package."

but what is, If you don't mind me asking, your coworker doing?
ralph_on_me

Dec 29, 2006, 2:08 PM
Not gonna say that anywhere man. That'd be beyond stupid since it involves my company and would be a huge breach of the very ethics I'm debating.
craptacularwireless

Dec 29, 2006, 2:11 PM
The only kind of bating I like is masturbating.
SuperSerge76

Dec 29, 2006, 2:13 PM
That's Fine, I understand. I recommend that, to save your ass, you take the problem to either your manager behind closed doors, or whomever he/she answers to. Since this problem affects your company and it's well being, the sooner you report this problem, the better.

And make sure you make it clear that if you have seen your coworker doing something illegal, that you witnessed it and that you had nothing to do with it.

In the end, after the right steps are taken, and hopefully the problem resolved, Everything will turn out for the best.

Good Luck, comrade!
ralph_on_me

Dec 29, 2006, 2:17 PM
Luckily it's not at my store, so I can't be held responsible for the actions. I will also definitely cover my own @ss, but first I'm going to talk to that store's manager. I don't step on toes in the corporate world unless I have to.

The main thing I'm worried about is reputation, since financially the only one responsible would be that location.
SuperSerge76

Dec 29, 2006, 2:24 PM
That's good. If reputation of the COMPANY means enough to you, you might want to talk to that store's manager and let him know whats goin on.

but be careful because you don't want to bash that location. Just let him know whats goin and and see what steps need to be taken. Since it's happening at a different location, it won't affect you directly. but it will affect you as a company if it doesn't get handled accordingly
ralph_on_me

Dec 29, 2006, 2:29 PM
Yep.. it's going to be a delicate email. A very carefully worded one that I'm not going to write until Monday, because I'm not going to start any drama before the weekend.
SuperSerge76

Dec 29, 2006, 2:29 PM
Good Move. But be prepared to explain yourself come tuesday.
ralph_on_me

Dec 29, 2006, 2:32 PM
Oh, I'll never explain it on here. After it's taken care of it'll be quietly filed away forever and never spoken of.
SuperSerge76

Dec 29, 2006, 2:38 PM
no no no i meant to their manager
ralph_on_me

Dec 29, 2006, 2:42 PM
oooh, yeah. That part will be done. I just wish I knew them personally instead of just from meetings so then they wouldn't feel like I was threatening them. I really just want to make them aware of the situation.
SuperSerge76

Dec 29, 2006, 2:44 PM
yea, I completely understand. You dont want to cause hostility between fellow partners. It's better to be aware than blind, you know?
kiosk_hell

Dec 29, 2006, 4:32 PM
ralph_on_me said:
Bundling is advertising plans with included features. Such as saying "Our plans start at $55 a month and include daytime, m2m, n&w, 1000 texts, and 1 mb of internet.", instead of saying "Our plans start at $40 a month and you can add on 1000 texts and 1 mb of internet for $15 more." That's legal, it's just a different way of marketing things.

Don't customers ever want to look at brochures, though? We always tell them the price of the rate plan and then talk add ons so they know exactly what they're paying for.
ralph_on_me

Dec 29, 2006, 5:16 PM
Some do, some dont.

People tend to like hearing you can get all this for XX amount as opposed to the plans are XX plus XX for this.

Suckers.
colione112

Dec 30, 2006, 1:03 AM
Our brochures (we're company owned) are all printed with the bundling price. We haven't seen a 'basic' rate plan brochure in months.
crystal

Dec 29, 2006, 2:57 PM
awww hun, you are in a tight spot. i just hope that all goes well and you don't get burned.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.