Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 23 replies

I hate when people can't speak English

Hayate

Dec 24, 2006, 4:30 PM
We have a sign on the front of our kiosk that says you get unlimited MediaNet access for the first month with any MediaNet bundle. I had a guy come up and just repeat a word that sounded like "lemon" to me, but turned out to be "unlimited" as he pointed to the sign. That was all he said. Not other words, no indication of what the heck he might want. It drives me nuts @_@
cingcing

Dec 24, 2006, 4:37 PM
Or how about when they come to you so you can call care for them cause they can't understand? I freakin hate that! I just put them on the phone anyway and let the games begin.
Hayate

Dec 24, 2006, 4:38 PM
What's even better is when they're Spanish-speakers. You hand them the phone and they hand it back to you like they can't understand even though the first option is to put the entire thing in Spanish. Lazy bastards.
cingcing

Dec 24, 2006, 4:51 PM
"Numero Tres"

(Pendejo)
southtexrep

Dec 24, 2006, 6:35 PM
yeah, bad accents is my biggest pet peeve on the phones. No offense to Jamaicans but I hate that accent with a passion when coming from a woman. It just pisses me off, and it seems as if they're all cranky and they all sound b****** every time...once again, I'm probaby stereotyping, but hey, I'm customer care, I stereotype.
the6357

Dec 26, 2006, 8:30 AM
amen to that
SuperSerge76

Dec 26, 2006, 10:19 AM
Here's the thing. I am bilingual, and Most of my customer base is spanish speaking, just like the demographical area my store is in. But what gets me all pissed is when someone walks in the store, initiates conversation with me in spanish, and then just looks at their poor 3 year old kid, expecting him to translate my Americanizes Spanish to his Spanish Spanish.

Ugh... I'm sorry, but if you live in America and expect to be an American consumer, learn the dominant language!
katrina

Dec 26, 2006, 12:29 PM
I do agree that if you are living here for any real length of time, you should be learning the language. Anyone living here for at least one year really needs to at least be in an ESL class...
While buying a cell phone is kind of complicated linguistically (most people would probably need 2-3 years of speaking the language) it does seem that many people don't even try.
I used to get very frustrated with the Spanish speaking customers who couldn't even use our payment kiosk when it was in Spanish... its bad when someone who took a few years of Spanish in high school can read it better than a native speaker... :-/
I know that the education many native speakers recieved was not on par with that of the US, but c'mon... I grew up in Mississipp...
(continues)
chocolateman85006

Dec 26, 2006, 12:48 PM
I agree; cause who'll speak English if we go to another country?
katrina

Dec 26, 2006, 12:57 PM
Yep, I'm likely moving to Germany in 1.5 years and I'm studying pretty hard so that I can actually get around decently without having to "seek out" people who speak enough English to help me...
trigueros3229

Dec 26, 2006, 10:59 PM
la cosa que me enoja mas es que todos ustedes son muy racistas y no tienen nada mejor que hacer. hey well i hope that doesnt piss you off too much cause hey guess what hispanics are a big deal to every cell phone company stop waisting your time writing racist comments and work on your customer service skills.

Many Hernandez
Verizon indirect Distric Manager,
raycarroll70

Dec 26, 2006, 11:47 PM
Soy gringo flaco y me gusta hablar en espanol cuando tengo la oportunidad porque creo que espanol es muy facil a comprender, leer y hablar. Los hispanos es la majoridad de la minoridad en los Estados Unidos. We don't have an offical language here in the US so viva la cultura hispantico.
katrina

Dec 27, 2006, 12:29 PM
Indeed! People have the right to speak whatever language they want, whenever they want! But the "unofficial-official" language of business in the United States in English and people cannot "expect" that someone who can speak the language they want to speak will always be available to assist them. Likewise, if I go into a store where all of the signs are in Spanish, I cannot expect that someone who speaks English will be available to assist me. It's true that limiting the number of lnguages your business conducts business in limits your availability to potential clients, but it is up to each business to determine to what extent, if any, a given language is used to conduct its business.
It can be very frustrating communicating with someone wh...
(continues)
qboro

Dec 27, 2006, 2:18 PM
Mamaguevo
jrtool

Dec 27, 2006, 12:03 AM
En parte tienes razon, pero tambien hay que ver
que ellos tambien la tienes, en parte.

Como dice katrina mensajes arriba,
hay mucha gente que tiene AÑOS en los E.U. y
ni siquiera tienen la molestia de aprender un poco de ingles, yo estoy en activaciones para Sprint, y he me han hablado personas que tienen
como 10 años viviendo en los Estados y ni siquiera saben algo de ingles.

Lo primero que te dicen es 'Me lo puede poner en Espanol'?

Yo tambien soy Latino, de hecho ni siquiera estoy en los Estados (en Monterrey MX.)

En verdad es una pena que ni siquiera se esfuerzan en aprender algo.

Y no pienso que es racismo, simplemente se enojan como con cualquier americano
_____________________________________________ _

You may...
(continues)
katrina

Dec 27, 2006, 12:05 PM
Saying that people living in a country for more than one year should start learning the primary language of that country if they want to get around effectively is not a racist statement. I am sorry if you took offense to it, it was not meant in an offensive or mean spirited manner.
Also, people who speak a certain language as a primary language does not define a "race", the post was about people who speak Spanish as a primary language, live the United States, and have not begun the proecss of learning English, not people of a particular nationality or "race".
katrina

Dec 27, 2006, 1:04 PM
So that we may have a civilized conversation about this, what exactly do you feel is racist about my comment and why?
sweetsoprano

Dec 27, 2006, 1:16 PM
I think that person was having the same knee-jerk reaction a lot of Hispanics seem to have when they are chided to learn the predominant language of the land they now call home...no one is saying they have to give up Spanish, but in order to function in this country, they need to learn English. Period, point blank.
katrina

Dec 27, 2006, 1:36 PM
You may be right about the knee-jerk reaction, but I am more than willing to engage in a calm, intelligent conversation about the topic.
As you say, I am not saying anyone should give up any language, quite the contrary... I think everyone shuold learn as many languages as they can, I can at least get by in English, Spanish, French, Mandarin, German, Greek, and Esperanto; while that is a bit of an "overkill" I subscrive heavily to the quote that "to learn another language is to gain another soul" because you gain insite not only into humaninity and human history, but directly into current society and the current state of the world.
I _do_ think that Spanish is the second most important language economically to learn in the world based on t...
(continues)
ralph_on_me

Dec 27, 2006, 1:53 PM
You sound like you've had a linguistics class or two.
katrina

Dec 27, 2006, 1:57 PM
Fo sheezy.
southtexrep

Dec 27, 2006, 2:10 PM
Many Many Many....woah. Way to jump the gun there buddy. We're talking about language and accents (and I know I brought up stereotypes), but no one is being racist here, it's just a phonescoop discussion. Seems like you had some free time as well, and decided to post, since there wasn't anything else to do like..maybe manage a district or something. All I'm saying is cool it, don't come running in here headbutting and thhrowing accusations around and then throw your title at us. You sound like a jerk.

Southtexrep
Customer Service Rep on his lunch break
Hayate

Dec 27, 2006, 2:30 PM
You sure have crappy spelling for a DM. Don't you need to have a degree to be a DM or something? Anyhow, as many other people have pointed out, we're discussing language here, not race. If you are assuming that any time people talk about those who live here and don't speak English are all Hispanic, it sounds like you are the racist. Sucks to be you.
Crapbag

Dec 27, 2006, 2:19 PM
🤣 I think this is getting pretty apparent!

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.