Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 26 replies

There's a Verizon call center opening up here soon,

biznass

Dec 10, 2006, 1:12 PM
Should I go for a job there? I have call center and wireless experience totaling almost three years so I am sure I will get hired. Too bad it doesn't open til late 2007.
Are they good to work for?
lavrnius maximus

Dec 10, 2006, 1:19 PM
no
biznass

Dec 10, 2006, 1:26 PM
Hmm can you give me some detail? What don't you like about working for them?
OhSoKorny

Dec 10, 2006, 2:21 PM
Yeah they are a good company to work for -- but only if you like good benefits and competitive pay. lol

Here's the thing a lot of people can't handle, though: You gotta come into work. They are probably one of the strictest company’s I've seen when it comes to attendance. There's little to no leeway. So if you have little kids or a sick spouse or something than don't bother because you won't last three months.

Anyway, the company is north America based with the call centers. The pay, as I said before, is excellent, and there are always lots of opportunities to move up in the business.
biznass

Dec 10, 2006, 2:56 PM
Well I have call center experience of almost a year plus wireless sales experience for almost two years now so I am confident I will be able to negotiate good hours and good pay. Too bad I'll have to wait a year. And, to be honest, I know absolutely nothing about Verizon...I guess I should learn!
chainsaw

Dec 10, 2006, 6:50 PM
My step-sis worked there. As said before they are very strict. One day there was a horrible snow storm. She along with 2 other people showed up 15 minutes late. All 3 of them were taken into a room, give written violations, and yelled at. I understand that attendance is very important but come one give me a break.
I have also heard of people that have worked there for 2-3 years and absolutely love it. So I guess you need to move up into the company to be one of the people yelling!
chocolateman85006

Dec 11, 2006, 4:11 PM
Isn't that like any company?
johnnyslick

Dec 12, 2006, 12:48 PM
Call centers are always going to be strict about attendance. They have to be. It's a numbers thing. If you have policy where you write someone up if they're 10 minutes late, 5% of the people in the workforce will show up 9 minutes after their scheduled start time. Even a relatively low number like that can take an average hold time of 20 seconds and turn it into 35, which in our company anyway is unacceptable.

I've never been "yelled at" at a call center, though, except by customers. Bennies really are great, by the way. Right now on top of all the money you get, they're giving out a bonus every year because we're so profitable right now. Coming from my last job, which tried to make me pay for our required outside-of-the-studio outfit (I...
(continues)
Leandra48

Dec 15, 2006, 1:58 AM
Negotiate good hours? I don`t think so. You will start with the lowest senority, more likely will work the worst hours and weekends for a year before you move up for better hours.
kenuheermenow

Dec 18, 2006, 9:01 AM
I dont have it to bad because I didnt "move up the ladder" to the data service center position. My friends there tried to talk me into it. What did I miss? A $1000 sign up bonus and the fact that I do NOT have to work every frigging holiday like they DO! This company will manipulate you every way they can. The pay is ok but the company induced stress level is very high. The turnover is likewise. If you can handle the stress, learn how to work the "system" and be happy with your schedule, you would like working there.
firephoenix

Dec 11, 2006, 4:25 PM
Pay is very good. benefits are amoung the best in the industry. advancement is only there if you are a female or minority. Hours are based on senority, so dont expect good hours. The stress is extreme and that is one reason I couldnt continue working there. If you hate people wasting your time by talking at you in a retail location, the call center is really not a place to be. Verizon customers are very talkative, hostile and extremely spoiled, I don't blame them though, the way the used to be treated was not a way that Verizon could survive on. The customers still expect that treatment though. The attendance thing is 100% correct, you are allowed to be absent 2% of the year. after that it is warning after warning.
chocolateman85006

Dec 11, 2006, 4:29 PM
I wish there was one in Phoenix
firephoenix

Dec 11, 2006, 4:36 PM
There was supposed to be an advanced data device trouble shooting center there, I believe it was for the Audiovox 6700 PDA. But it's not technically Verizon, as they outsource there wdts department.
chocolateman85006

Dec 11, 2006, 4:56 PM
That sucks.
brentgodwin

Dec 11, 2006, 5:13 PM
There is a verizon call center in chandler.
kenuheermenow

Dec 18, 2006, 8:52 AM
There are no call centers in Phoenix or any planned. There is a major call center in Chandler and they are hiring almost all the time. This particular call center has their data center within it. Not all WDTS employees are outsource. Their new Alburquerque NM center has WDTS employees.
dalily21

Dec 12, 2006, 1:05 AM
Outsource Vendors get paid below direct call centers and are funded by the company that has a contract with VZW. You also get paid less because you can't do everything that a direct call center does. I've heard that direct call centers are exceptional, great benefits, pay, facilities, etc... However, as previously stated they are very strict as far as attendance goes. So see if it's a direct or outsource. I don't recommend going if its an outsource.
SatansQueen

Dec 13, 2006, 5:18 PM
Yes, any time you work for an outsourced center for any company, expect to get reemed. We make below the pay and do the SAME amount of work that people who do our job working directly for the company make. 😢

I know there is a Cingular call center here but I heard they are schedule Nazi's as far as your breaks, which I couldn't deal with 😡
SatansQueen

Dec 13, 2006, 5:20 PM
Oh yeah, I guess I could have summed that up by saying "Off center, no lube, maybe even sideways" 🤣
biznass

Dec 15, 2006, 1:46 PM
kenuheermenow

Dec 18, 2006, 8:53 AM
Strict about attendance? you have no idea. more like a concentration camp!
hood4

Dec 12, 2006, 6:48 PM
We also have a Verizon call center openng up next year. Where is the one you are talking about?? 🙂
biznass

Dec 13, 2006, 2:17 PM
In the midwest...
hood4

Dec 14, 2006, 7:40 PM
I'm in the Southeast.
chocolateman85006

Dec 12, 2006, 7:35 PM
I'd love to see one in Phoenix.
thisguyosu

Dec 16, 2006, 8:08 PM
...but it was outsourced. Once of the poorest run places I've ever witnessed.

Put up with it for 2 years though, it was worth the entry-level experience.
krickt

Dec 16, 2006, 9:13 PM
Opening in OKC soon. I'm not working in another call center as long as I live, but others are free to try it out.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.