Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 23 replies

Okay, How 'bout this one

krickt

Aug 18, 2006, 9:58 AM
I had a customer call me yesterday and had me look him up in the computer. He got his plan in 2000 and has not renewed since. He has bought phones off ebay and out of pawn shops, but never renewed or bought new phones from any USCC. He wants to know how much it will cost him to add a line to his account. I give him the whole spiel, and tell him that if he does a 2 year contract he can get a phone for as little as $20. He starts yelling at me how a 2 year contract is a rip off, and how we steal money from customers by making them do a 2 year contract. I asked him how that was ripping him off, and he said he couldn't figure it out, but he was sure that a 2 year contract was a rip off. I told him I could do a month to month contract, but ...
(continues)
deeterman

Aug 18, 2006, 10:04 AM
the cellular industry has the worst customers hands down they are a bunch of whiny bitches that want everything for free it makes me sick
krickt

Aug 18, 2006, 11:48 AM
I don't have a problem with people wanting things for free. I mean, who wouldn't want everything handed to them for free, but nobody on the planet actually expects that they won't have to pay for services and products, do they? I mean, for real! For heaven's sake!
Nikoletta

Aug 18, 2006, 12:31 PM
That's just it though isn't it? They do expect it. They live on welfare and Medicare and social security and never do anything but make babies (another generation of professional couch potato's) and whine that they don't get more. I know a fair number of people like that at my apartment complex because until two years ago it was a Idaho Public Housing supported complex and we still have a lot of people who live there from that who do nothing all day but live off my taxes.

I'm not saying some people don't need the support but for gods sake, be grateful that you're being taken care of by the rest of us. The one guy bitched because he said that if he recommended the complex and the person who moved in put down that he did he wouldn't get...
(continues)
krickt

Aug 18, 2006, 12:35 PM
We don't get alot of those guys. We get business owners and wealthy enough people that should know better. I always want to ask, where did you get all your money, and how do you expect to get stuff without using it to buy stuff. There are way too many people that expect the world on a platter to be given to them by those of us working hard to pay for our own platters and stuff on it. It's just wrong.
3ntropy

Aug 18, 2006, 12:36 PM
state funding has worked great for me in the past...because that's what it's designed for: people who need it. i needed it, and i got it. and then i called them to tell them i didn't need it anymore. food stamps are awesome, but .......i'll stop now.
krickt

Aug 18, 2006, 12:43 PM
Assistance is wonderful, especially for deserted women with children. I wonder if there are any stats out there about the percentages of people who actually work hard to get off of assistance.
Foamy

Aug 18, 2006, 3:53 PM
I'll bet you it's a single digit.
Nikoletta

Aug 18, 2006, 3:57 PM
Yeap. I doubt most work at all for it and if they are working it's not because they want to get off assistance, it's because they want to be able to buy more toys for themselves.

Don't want to sound callous but I have very little faith in humanity.
Foamy

Aug 18, 2006, 4:17 PM
To certain people kids are dollar signs "If I gets knocked up, I'ma gets me a bigger check on the first."

And I think the majority of has have little faith in humanity. Working in customer service tends to have that effect because it fully exposes you to how sad humanity really is.
Nikoletta

Aug 18, 2006, 5:11 PM
Especially when you're working with things related to credit and that are nation wide. My own demographic doesn't have nearly as much of the kind of people that I seem to deal with over the phone... different mentality up here.
Hayate

Aug 18, 2006, 12:33 PM
I had a guy come in yesterday that wanted all kinds of deals too. He is at the end of his two year contract and wanted to upgrade. I don't know if Cingular corporate is like this, but our authorized agent gets paid sh*t for upgrades. The same plan and features may pay out $400 to the store for a new activation but around $100 for an upgrade (even though it's the same damn thing as far as how much Cingular makes).

Anyhow, he really wanted a free phone so I showed him the Nokia 6030 and told him that's the only phone I could possibly do for free. He then proceeded to ask for the Nokia 6061 ($30 w/contract) and 6102i ($70 w/contract before rebate). I told him I couldn't do those for free, they'd be the price on the tag. He then exclaim...
(continues)
3ntropy

Aug 18, 2006, 12:38 PM
every once in a while i'll make a "free" exception, and they're usually my customers for life. 👀
Hayate

Aug 18, 2006, 12:47 PM
Yeah I don't mind doing a free phone in some cases. If a guy comes up and says I need the 2000 minute plan and I'll take the Media Works bundle, insurance, and go ahead and give me the extended nights and weekends, I'd probably give him a majority of our phones for free because we make a crapload of money on a sale like that. I wouldn't just throw out the free phone thing, but if he asked I could probably make an exception.

My problem is with the people that come up and say "I want the cheapest plan you have and I don't care about any of that text message crap. Just the basics, no extra charges. Oh and I want a one year contract. Where are your free phones?". Those people can burn in hell.
3ntropy

Aug 18, 2006, 1:29 PM
those guys are 1 in 1000. ☚ī¸
krickt

Aug 18, 2006, 12:47 PM
RadioShack is offering (or will soon be) a buy one Moto850 bluetooth headset, get one free. And not offering us any compensation for it, they charge us over $60 for the silly thing and it's going to be onsale for $99, bogo. I don't know about your math, but my math says I'm going to lose money on the deal. I'm not looking forward to people asking me for free bluetooths.
Hayate

Aug 18, 2006, 12:50 PM
Leave one headset on display and put the rest in the back. If anyone asks, you're sold out.
krickt

Aug 18, 2006, 12:53 PM
That's what we usually do. We do not have sale specials in stock if you call in over the phone, and we don't do RadioShack specials if they cost us money. I'm going to get an 850 for myself, but I'm getting it from NY Cellphone at wholesale, which by the way is 15% less than what RadioShack charges us.
evillobster

Aug 18, 2006, 1:11 PM
Services him right...

I hate it when customers think they deserve every accessory in the store for free because "their special"

dont even get me started on how every customer who has a business account says "we are a big coporate account" and we "shouldnt have to pay anything cause were a business that sells raccoon hats and slinkys!!!
Nikoletta

Aug 18, 2006, 1:31 PM
I'm a business... all my myself, I tutor, doesn't that mean I should get a free MDA? It should, I need it to keep track of my appointments for my business. I'm very important!
evillobster

Aug 18, 2006, 1:47 PM
ok well can u verify your account password, the tax id, ur 2'nd grade teachers name and the last time u ate mexican food.
Nikoletta

Aug 18, 2006, 3:59 PM
All but the tax id part. Mexican food was last Wednesday after Karate, I got my taco salad on.
evillobster

Aug 18, 2006, 6:28 PM
ok then I think i can hook you up with our new blackberry "salad" phone and the "white tooth" accessory with a 10 yr agreement and get u each for $34.99 each and u have to buy me some tacos.
craptacularwireless

Aug 18, 2006, 6:32 PM
lol I always here BluehChip. How TOOTH turns into chip I'll never know.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.