Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 48 replies

Least Favorite Phone

Nikoletta

May 1, 2006, 2:25 PM
Another questions.

What is your least favorite phone to sell... or to have a customer ask for. Why?

Such as... I HATE the RAZR... I dislike having people even ask about the RAZR and it's pricing because as a rule they almost always want it free and want me to bend over backward for them... or if they don't they have horrible credit and no credit card. The RAZR is my least favorite phone we sell.
Vox Dei

May 1, 2006, 2:33 PM
LG 3200 *shudder*

It's the throw away phone. We sell it for about $80. Feel lucky if you don't have to do at least 2 warranty's in the year.

The Razr is really crappy. Gota love when people call in and are compairing our V3c to our competitors V3. One of our competitors sells the V3 for about $50 less than our V3c. I tell them it's because the V3 is worth about $150 less than our V3c. And we are selling ours for only $99 with a new contract. It's a freaking sweet deal. Suck it up.
granteezie

May 1, 2006, 3:10 PM
i hate selling any kyocera products. and the razr.
johnnybmagic

May 4, 2006, 9:54 PM
I hate to sell anything LG because I know they will probably be back with problems.
alejandro

May 1, 2006, 3:11 PM
Motorola "Anything"
Vox Dei

May 1, 2006, 3:15 PM
You sell GSM don't you ;). Yes motorola can't seem to make a proper GSM phone. Their CDMA phones are great though. I don't get it myself but oh well.
alejandro

May 1, 2006, 3:24 PM
no, i sell cdma, i thought it was the other war around : ) .
Vox Dei

May 1, 2006, 3:32 PM
Really? Our motorola's are some of our best sellers. When i was working for AWS i hated Motorola's because if someone called in with a problem chances are they were motorola's.
alejandro

May 1, 2006, 3:34 PM
yes, almost our best sellers too, but too many have to go out for repair, even more than kyoceras.
Vox Dei

May 1, 2006, 3:49 PM
Nothing goes out more than an LG though. Well the entry level LG's anyway. And most don't come back fixed even.
alejandro

May 1, 2006, 4:10 PM
For us motorola goes out most, first. kyocera second, audiovox next, then LG, Nokia is last but I am not counting samsung because we really havent been selling those for long. and we wont have any audiovox's before long.
(U.S. Cellular)
burger_with_fries81

May 1, 2006, 9:17 PM
GSM guy here. Seems the Moto issues arent CDMA or GSM specific? The vast majority of customer issues concerning defective or poorly made phones are Motorolas too. LG gets lots of complaints but not because they are poorly made, they just suck for reception. At least they still work. 🙂
Anvil

May 3, 2006, 3:13 PM
I had a Razr as a loaner when I switched to VZW, they didn't have the LG VX8100 in stock. Now that I got it even swapped with the LG I get better reception than the Razr.

Low end Nokia and LG phones go out the most in my call center.

😡 LG1500
Vox Dei

May 3, 2006, 5:04 PM
The high end LG's are really good. Like the 8100 or the 535. But the cheap ones like the 1500 or 3200 are just pieces of throw away garbage.
mellowpaul

May 5, 2006, 7:31 AM
They do not make the LG VX-3200 anymore; they make the 3300 now and are about to come out with the 3400, which has an outside display. I had the LG VX-4400B but got poor reception on it.
krickt

May 6, 2006, 2:32 PM
That is exactly our order, but to be more specific, we send in 2-4 times as many Motorolas as Kyocera and then twice as many kyoceras as Audiovox. I've only sent 4 LG's into service this year and no Nokias.
Considering that we sold almost twice as many kyocera phones as Motorola phones makes it easier for me to sell one over a Moto. Percentage wise, about 30-40% of Motorolas go back, 10ish% of Kyocera and negilgible for everything else.
I have noticed that what ever phone is the cheapest gets sold the most, people don't listen if you tell them that they will be back in two weeks with an issue on a phone they want.
krickt

May 6, 2006, 2:28 PM
We hardly ever have problems with LG, but if they do, they mostly comeback with a different ESN. Heaven forbid you have to call Motorola repair center. We had one phone that after 6 returns to the repair center they still didn't get it fixed!
krickt

May 6, 2006, 2:26 PM
We are hoping that the new 323 is better, but if I have to send in another 266,262 for charging port problems and speaker problems I may just scream.
Mid_Isle

May 1, 2006, 3:22 PM
Yeah, the Razr is right up there. My particular nemesis is the Siemans CF62. It's like a group of engineers got together to see how many design flaws they could cram into a phone.
Nikoletta

May 1, 2006, 3:27 PM
And how ugly they could make it at the same time. It was still less annoying than the RAZR, at least nobody expected you to bend over and take it and thank them while giving you the CF62 for free.
burger_with_fries81

May 1, 2006, 9:14 PM
Razr wins by a landslide for me also. IMO it's the most over-marketed POS I've ever seen. I'd guesstimate 75% of all the in-store warranty issues I've encountered in the last several months involve the V3. After the second replacement for a customer in 6 days still is messed up you gotta wonder WTF? Then another customer comes in with dust under the screen because of the faulty gasket issue.
Plus the Feb. recall 🙂
And you've still got people stopping by to check out "one of them there Razor phones".!
Nikoletta

May 2, 2006, 10:59 AM
"Is if free?" When you show it to them. Or " www.imgoingtogetrippedoff.com is giving it to me for free and if I go to www.imgoingtoenduptakingitinanunpleasantmanne r.com is actually going to end up paying me sixty trillion dollars to sign up with them and give it to me for free. You're just trying to rip me off." In reference to the RAZR. Gotta love that.
burger_with_fries81

May 2, 2006, 11:34 AM
We currently offer them for $50 (after a $100 MIR).
No one ever asks me if V3s are free where I work, but they always act like $150 in store is the cost of their firstborn kid. C'mon people it's a $370 phone (at least thats what we charge for retail cost). Just back in November it was $150 with NO rebate.
Nikoletta

May 2, 2006, 11:51 AM
They constantly want if free from us but then they're the same guys who only buy online or over the phone because they think they're going to get a better deal.
KrazyJoe

May 2, 2006, 11:45 AM
I've heard that a few times.

Whenever somebody tried to tell me that they can get it cheaper somewhere else I tell them "Well, unfortunately, I can't do price matching. Our prices are set as-is. If you want that price you'll have to go there."

If they're going to be a dick about the price, I don't want them as a customer anyway. So, I lost $5, big deal. I know they're not going to buy any accessories or data when they start off like that anyway.
Nikoletta

May 2, 2006, 12:02 PM
I also am fond of pointing out exactly what hoops you have to jump there at those sites (esp Inphonics and Lets Talk) Another thing that seems to get most of the people who call and have dealt with those sites is the fact that I'm in the US. I know it shouldn't matter but a lot of times it does. I get a lot of people asking where we're located.
Whitehorse

May 1, 2006, 11:54 PM
The hell-spawn of all crappy phones was Motorola's first TDMA phone. I don't remember the model #, it was a grey flip phone. It was also the most horrendous piece of crap I ever tried to use. It was worse than the Mitsubishi 139, & that's saying alot!
Mid_Isle

May 2, 2006, 11:07 AM
I had a old grey moto clunker that weighed like 2 pounds and made an obscene bulge in my pocket.

But.

It got FANTASTIC reception. No Sarcasm
Vox Dei

May 2, 2006, 11:22 AM
I think the one your thinking is the V60 it had a silver outside. Yes that was a really crappy TDMA phone. How ever that was a really great CDMA phone (no i don't get it but i have the CDMA version of it for ever).
Whitehorse

May 4, 2006, 11:28 PM
This was 1997, way before the V60... way worse...
uscingulair

May 2, 2006, 11:57 AM
any lg phone. Those Korean piece of sh!tz are nothing but problems. I don't like to sell them cause I know the customer will come back later with issues with then. Don't mind selling them to outta towner's though. Also the Moto v 180 has some of the worst software ever....in fact moto has not impressed me with anything in years, i do like to idea of there new silent ring though, slight electronic pulses? I personally don't like getting shocked but it bet it's fun at parties
Nikoletta

May 2, 2006, 12:04 PM
Do you like the way they took the V180, put a different shell on it and opened up the 850 MgH band and called it a new phone? the V188! Still as worthless as the V180 but now it looks worse!
uscingulair

May 2, 2006, 12:07 PM
yea can't wait to help people with problems on that one either 👿
blusdrmr

May 2, 2006, 12:02 PM
Anything Sony Ericsson, LG or Kyocera.
uscingulair

May 2, 2006, 12:08 PM
you gotta admit that Sony has really turned Ericsson around. there new pda looks cool
blusdrmr

May 2, 2006, 12:12 PM
Oh, I know. For the "average" user, Sony Ericsson's menu options are a nightmare. That is the reason I still like Motorola. Still very user friendly. In my neck of the woods, I don't get the "High Tech" people.

Levels of customers:

High Tech
Low Tech
No Tech
Red Neck

Unfortunately, I get the latter most of the time.
fc2462

May 2, 2006, 9:47 PM
I don't know why everyone hates the razor so much?

I bought the razor when it first came out on Cingular and had to pay retail for it ($600 Ouch!) because I wasn't eligible for an upgrade. I must say it was the best phone I had ever used as far as build quality and reception. I now have a cdma razor V3c and I honestly think they are slipping a little bit. It does not feel as good or solid as the original GSM razor I bought a year and a half ago. I have used the venerable candy bar style Nokias with very good luck as well. As far a someone saying that 75% of the problems they have are with razors makes a lot of sense since it is the single most sold model of cell phone of all time. The worst phone I have is the Treo 700w from Verizon...
(continues)
Nikoletta

May 3, 2006, 11:40 AM
It's less that I hate the RAZR itself but I hate the type of people who typically ask for the RAZR because they are commonly the ones who want everything free, get mad when I try to explain that this phone is a Video Camera Flip Phone with Speakerphone, Bluetooth, and it's a Quad band. They don't even know WHAT it does half the time they only care that it's the RAZR and not what sort of features it has to offer.

So yeah, it's more of selling the RAZR than the RAZR itself that makes me want to rip hair out in clumps.
fc2462

May 8, 2006, 2:33 AM
Ahh, that makes a lot more sense. I think there are certainly a lot worse phones to have as far as reliability and reception than the RAZR.

I don't understand either why someone would walk into a store and something is sitting on the shelf marked $149 or whatever the price is and then tell the salesperson they want it for free???? Or are you referring to the scroats that see free RAZR on some web site and then want the corporate store to match that price? These are the same scroats that then go ahead and buy the phone there and come back to the store with it to get help.

That happens with any brand/model of phone. It is just going like crazy with the RAZR now because that is what all those web sites are advertising right now.

I b...
(continues)
Don.Mike

May 5, 2006, 8:49 AM
i hate both equally. any of them.
alejandro

May 5, 2006, 9:31 AM
i know, the kx16 is one of the biggest pieces of crap ever. and now we are gonna get the kx160 and it will probably be just as bad... just when i thought our only audiovox was going to fade into nonexistance we are getting the 7025... now that is a ugly ass phone.
Don.Mike

May 5, 2006, 9:42 AM
haven't seen that audiovox. we have to deal with the kyocera kx1 (now gone for a few months) and the audiovox 8910 (still have about 20 👿 ). i feel bad selling them to people, but they want cheap phones, and we're giving it away.
alejandro

May 5, 2006, 10:00 AM
heh, we got rid of that phone before everyone else(also had it first), not because it was bad, but because we had a new horrible phone to get... i guess the kx9 is a lot better in that it does not crack along the top at first drop.
Don.Mike

May 5, 2006, 10:08 AM
but look out for the second?
alejandro

May 5, 2006, 10:29 AM
the kx9 is fine as far as i can tell, over 6 months and it hasn't had one return. kx1's dont have much of a problem besides the weakness of the structure, especially at the top, so it may not have that many problems unless it gets dropped (which cell phones do)... and the software bug that can be fixed with a quick update, but that is probably just our software.
cricKet RSR

May 5, 2006, 10:32 AM
I would have to say kyocera the xcursion is awesome the only problem i see with kyos is the battery life and audivox isnt making phones anymore UTstarcom took them over and well lets just say they are less than stellar
alejandro

May 5, 2006, 10:36 AM
the kx16's have a problem in which the screen never really goes off on the phone, even when closed, draining the battery pretty good.
cricKet RSR

May 5, 2006, 10:39 AM
yeah we have a problem with the charging ports here and the screen mysteriously cracking on the inside
panama

May 7, 2006, 5:47 AM
The LGs are my least favorite..I honestly don't know why we even continue to sell them...They continually lock up sim cards and are just totally nonfunctional phones..very problematic

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.