Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 27 replies

changes to the industry

kapwww

Mar 17, 2006, 4:37 PM
If I could make changes to the industry, I would charge retail (with decent profit) for every phone. Continue to offer insurance because it will generate revenue, but you'll see the number of damaged phones go down. People will treat them with more respect when they have to spend a full month's salary from McDonalds or their paper route to have the coolest high-end phone. If they do break the phone and have no insurance, they won't question the price you tell them to buy a new phone.

Then, instead of discounting phones for long-term contracts, discount the monthly service rate. 2-year agreements give you X% off, 1-year gives you >X%, no contract means you pay full price.

Keep ACTIVATION FEES and make them as high as you can wit...
(continues)
The Lost Ramone

Mar 17, 2006, 4:40 PM
everything you described sounds like pre-paid to me...

higher phone cost, adding on most of your features, ability to switch, etc...
kapwww

Mar 17, 2006, 5:36 PM
Essentially, but customers are still getting a discount for commitment. Right now, there are tons of prepaid packages and tons of contract packages. I'm suggesting that we trim back the overall programs and simplify the actual plans. Give people with bad credit a chance to have a good plan. Eliminate the confusion over the cost of phones. Eliminate rebates without anyone taking a hit on a sale. Right now, most of the prepaid that I've seen (including what I sell at my store) will cost a great deal more per month for a heavy user than what someone with a contract would pay for the same use (or more). What's more, many prepaid plans don't work for people looking to save money each month. They have daily fees or you have to buy larger a...
(continues)
Cigee

Mar 20, 2006, 6:39 PM
You know what? I totally agree with you! You should start the company. Kudos!!!!!!!!!
fc2462

Mar 21, 2006, 2:59 AM
I don't know whose hairbrain idea it ever was to subsidize phones.
captainplooky

Mar 17, 2006, 5:43 PM
I find it hilarious that you are looking for ways to "trap" a customer into business.

Reminds me of why the telecoms so fervently resisted number portability initially - greed.
kapwww

Mar 18, 2006, 9:20 AM
Learn to read. Once you've done that, I may consider entertaining your stupidity.
aemsafd

Mar 18, 2006, 9:22 AM
Plooky knows how to read. It's thinking like a normal person that he has problems with.
kapwww

Mar 18, 2006, 9:38 AM
That and rationalization. If I were to claim that 2+2=4, there would be a reason why I'm wrong.
Mid_Isle

Mar 18, 2006, 3:45 PM
Well, from the tiny bit I understand about quantom mechanics, I think you would be.

But, keep in mind, I don't know that much about QM.
kapwww

Mar 20, 2006, 11:12 AM
hehehehe 🙂
Mid_Isle

Mar 18, 2006, 3:52 PM
I find it hilarious you still post here Plooky. Go figure.
evilbstrd666

Mar 17, 2006, 10:52 PM
Only one problem from the salesperson's standpoint....

Customers would bitch SO much when the change first comes out. We all would get an earful with every customer that walks in the door.
kapwww

Mar 18, 2006, 9:37 AM
We would, but at the rate it's going now, customers expect a free phone just for walking through the door. When the see a BOGO offer, they think we're just going to give them an extra phone to have in case they break one. They think they don't need insurance because we'll just give them another one if they break their's. I've read countless threads on this site from customers who happily admit to calling customer service and complaining until they get someone with no spine who will drop the corporate pants and hand out the free phones. Why??? Because some jerk feels he's entitled without any true justification? From this salesperson's point of view, I want to make something for my time. If I'm giving everything away, I can't afford to...
(continues)
evilbstrd666

Mar 18, 2006, 12:40 PM
Hey, never said that helping those with poor credit is a bad thing. It's a great idea. In fact, they could introduce that part of your plan with little hassle.

The problem is nobody wants to pay money for something that they can get for free or that used to be free. And when I say we will get customers complaining I mean EVERY customer. Heck, I still get customers asking if they can trade in phones.

The only way I see something like this happening is like in Europe with that law passing. The public doesn't want it; the carriers seem to like the contracts; and the manufacturers are happy as long as they are getting paid.

Personally, I think it is a good idea. I hate contracts and ETF's, I despise people who whine about pa...
(continues)
kapwww

Mar 18, 2006, 2:46 PM
Well said. Any suggestions on educating bricks? I educate when I try to sell the insurance. I make sure the customer knows the real deal. However, many people either don't listen, or buy their phones at Wal-Mart then come complaining to me when they're "broke" and "ain't workin' no more". Perhaps a huge infomercial about the true cost of cell phones? 😁
cingcing

Mar 18, 2006, 4:03 PM
I have to disagree with you about people with bad credit. Let us not forget that they have poor credit for a reason. If they have bad credit it is a track record of not paying thier bills. Never trust a crackhead with weed.

Second, the people making the real money in this industry don't give 1/4 of a rats ass about me, the customer, or our interactions with eachother as long as the money keeps rolling in. Why would they let the customer save 400+ dollars over 2 years when they can give the $100 off the phone and rape them on the plan?
kapwww

Mar 20, 2006, 11:14 AM
discount amounts would be much less on lower priced calling plans.
usaf_joe

Mar 20, 2006, 2:07 PM
well i totally disagree with you cingcing .. sprint offers spending limit programs. in order to make this work a similar, more strict, spending limit program would have to be applied to each account with poor credit. not EVERYONE who has bad credit is to blame, sure, 99%, but still. people do change and by incorporating a variable spending limit program (MRC $50 .. spending limit $75) it will allow people with poor credit to regain cell phone service and still limit the amount they are allowed to go over with little risk
aemsafd

Mar 20, 2006, 11:27 AM
kapwww said:
Well said. Any suggestions on educating bricks? I educate when I try to sell the insurance. I make sure the customer knows the real deal. However, many people either don't listen, or buy their phones at Wal-Mart then come complaining to me when they're "broke" and "ain't workin' no more". Perhaps a huge infomercial about the true cost of cell phones? 😁

Require a cell phone license. 25 question test, just like a driver's exam.

Either that, or make these notes on a customers account: "This person is required to wear a helmet while walking. Do not attempt to help them."
kapwww

Mar 20, 2006, 1:25 PM
Awsome! LMAO!!! 😁
aemsafd

Mar 20, 2006, 1:32 PM
There's also people that I want to grab by the hair and smash them against the counter, however I resist the urge to do so.

Not because thats mean, violent, or cruel; or even because I would have to clean that up. I don't do this because they would make my counter stupider.
Willwise

Mar 20, 2006, 1:36 PM
I personally love the Idea but its not changing the industry you should start your own carrier and I would be happy to financially back you the only problem is I can only afford $30. Can you start a carrier for $30?
aemsafd

Mar 20, 2006, 1:47 PM
No, not for thirty dollars.

But if you take your $30, and his $30, and $30 from me....

You'd be $10 shy of being able to buy a RAZR. Which brings me to my point, that the RAZR should be free, because I'm a good customer.
Vox Dei

Mar 20, 2006, 2:11 PM
Nooo. That razr should be free because i'm going to be a good long standing customer...i swear i will be...but i don't want a contract.
aemsafd

Mar 20, 2006, 2:13 PM
Hmmmm... maybe there's a way we can combine the fact that cell phone companies have many stupid customers that owe them money and the starvation crisis in Africa...
Vox Dei

Mar 20, 2006, 2:15 PM
I am all ears. I really wana hear your proposal on that one.
aemsafd

Mar 20, 2006, 2:16 PM
I really can't say its my proposal. Wasn't that Dickens or Twist or something like that?

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.