Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 22 replies

One Peeve... just one

bassplayer

Nov 25, 2005, 9:57 PM
I really am starting to get irritated by this, and I guess always have but it's finally starting to get to me. I hate when people buy something somewhere else, and then bring it to me to set up. I'm not going to acheive anything by helping these people out, except empowering more people to "shop around" and still get the same service regardless. Gee it would be nice to get everything handed to you, but make a choice people. Realize that there is a reason for everything, even for paying less for a cell phone.

Now, when people tell me they bought there cell phone at wal mart or best buy, I don't even look at the phone, even if it's a simple fix. i send them back to that store, and I tell them that's the service they can expect from b...
(continues)
Caeser

Nov 25, 2005, 10:13 PM
Just had a guy walk up, he has a leather case on his phone and its rubbed three spots on the back of the phone, two from buttons, one from a sticker. He asked me if there was anything we could do for him about it. I asked him why and his reply was "cause it looks ugly!" Hey moron... YOU HAVE A LEATHER CASE ON IT!!! NO ONE IS GOING TO SEE IT. QUIT WHINING. That one just pissed me off, what a way to end the night.
CptFarlow

Nov 27, 2005, 1:47 PM
You should have asked him if he needed a wambulance 🤣
cingcing

Nov 25, 2005, 11:51 PM
This is more or less the same point I was arguing a few days ago. Have fun with the responses.

"You need to provide great service regardless."

"That is an opportunity for a sale."

"Help them and they will come back to you."

And on and on it went. I'ts nice to see someone else feels the same way.
colione112

Nov 26, 2005, 1:30 AM
ok i'll respond 🙂

provide service regardless? sorry, go back to walmart and ask that part time high school kid to fix it for you... should'a bought from us in the first place.

opp for a sale? where's the opp, they already bought the v551 for 40.00 and got all the accessories for a total of 30.00... you tell me, where's the sale opp at?

they'll come back? I doubt it, they'll go where they can save money, and come to you for free help...

I'm sick of this and cingular needs to do something about this. We're being undercut on pricing all over the place, and if it doesn't stop, they're gonna find themselves supporting 2000 company locations they can't afford. By then it'll be to late to fix.
aemsafd

Nov 27, 2005, 12:39 PM
Simple. Start charging for everything. "Waive" the fees if they buy the service here. IE. You have a small sign posted that says setting up the voice mail is $30. Cust buys at WallyWorld, then comes to your store. You take the phone, say "Oh, they didn't set that up for you?" Help them out, then keep their phone until they pay the price.
Insert Witty Name Here

Nov 27, 2005, 5:34 PM
That's what we do here, well, kinda. I won't keep their phone or charge for voicemail but I do charge for read and writes, sim swaps, activations, etc.

I had a customer recently come from Wal-mart with a Boost phone and I charged him $10.00 to activate it. He could have did it online or over the phone for free but honestly if he wants to be too lazy, I'll do it for $10.
colione112

Nov 27, 2005, 8:52 PM
if they buy prepaid at walmart, we just activate a new number and use the card they got with the activation at wmt. I'll be damned if i'm gonna help someone set up a phone if they buy it at walmart... you want to pay a cheap price, expect their cheap service.
Insert Witty Name Here

Nov 28, 2005, 10:30 AM
Umm, you know even though you activate with a new number, when you use 'their' sim card, Wal-mart will still be earning the commission. Boost pays commission based on the sim/serial number activated.
colione112

Nov 28, 2005, 4:04 PM
so give em a new sim 😁 cingular doesn't track imei, only the sim...
Insert Witty Name Here

Nov 28, 2005, 4:09 PM
So, are you charging this customer for the sim card you are supplying? What if the customer doesn't want to pay for the card, what do you do then?
cingcing

Nov 28, 2005, 4:52 PM
We don't charge for sim cards at my store. Still walmart would not get commission if I created the account. You can go back and look at the "commissions" tab and see your dealer code. It's only $3 anyway.
Insert Witty Name Here

Nov 28, 2005, 6:12 PM
I'm not familar with Cingular but with Boost, everyone who buys their stock of inventory is paid commission by the sim/serial # activated. That's why customers are able to buy boost phones at the gas station/wal-mart/wherever and then activate them over the phone or internet. If the rep on the phone and internet doesn't ask for a dealer code, then of course, boost is paying commission by sim/serial #.
colione112

Nov 28, 2005, 10:52 PM
no we don't charge for the cards. And when they come from walmart, most of the time the money hasn't been added to their accts so they still have a 15.00 card, yet to be used... so we use that.
alejandro

Nov 27, 2005, 1:38 PM
while it is regretful when people do that, they already got the phone from somewhere else and i cannot help that, but i utilize it when i am bored, as in when at my kiosk, people around my kiosk will attract other people. Which is a lot better than sitting on phonescoop, plus i am naturally helpful so when some 90 year old bat needs help with her cingular phone (not my company) i am obliged to help her as long as i think that keeping her at my booth will make people walking by look at us twice.
can-cell

Nov 27, 2005, 5:10 PM
thanks for the breath of fresh air!!

great attitude...
USCELLGIRL

Nov 27, 2005, 5:18 PM
YEAH ALEJANDRO!!!!

You Rock!

There is a reason why we are known for our customer service! 😁
Tampa_VZW_Jim

Nov 27, 2005, 5:58 PM
Barry Smith here...I hear ya John, where do these people get off? At least have the courtesy to deal with the store that you made the deal with...

What I get constantly is, "Can I return this here? I didn't buy it here.." This is where I stop them and say "I'm sorry, I know we resemble a Cingular kiosk, but we are Verizon Wireless. I will be more than happy to sell you your next phone, after you return your POS to a Cingular store."

Barry Smith reporting live....John...
UOQuack

Nov 28, 2005, 10:14 AM
Man I gotta tell ya, I struggle with this one on a daily basis. We have a WalMart just down the street, and god help us there's a Radio Shack there too (which will be significant come the new year when RS starts selling Cingular). And I know that providing a high level of customer service to any customer that walks through the door is supposed to lead to return business. Yet it seems like over and over people who bought something at WalMart keep coming in and coming in. I would love to charge them extra for service, but we just can't do it.

I think the only thing we can do is make the personal decision ourselves to not shop at WalMart, and to encourage our friends to do the same. WalMart employees, let the flaming begin, I am wearing ...
(continues)
timslo

Nov 29, 2005, 3:41 PM
This is an eternal problem for all sales people. The bottom line for all of us is money. None of us are sales people for the hourly, we work for commission. First of all, you are right in how frustrating it is that customers are the way they are. That can't be helped. Where you would reduce your stress is by helping the customer regardless. There are several issues that can't be helped like returning inventory to you when it wasn't purchased there, matching prices, etc. You aren't doing a bad thing explaining why you can't help them. But to turn away customers and not help them when you can is ridiculous. Guess what, when you make an impression on someone, they will come back to you. If they don't come back right away, they'll tell their fri...
(continues)
johnnybmagic

Dec 1, 2005, 9:10 PM
Wow, that's what I call poor customer service!!
danielson

Dec 1, 2005, 9:50 PM
So if walmart and all these other online places offer way lower prices than me (indirect dealer) Does my company really make that much money off the phones/plans and just choose to have the prices at the price they are b/c people will pay it?
Nikoletta

Dec 1, 2005, 10:42 PM
They do it because to get that price you have to jump through a bunch of hoops and fill at a ton of mail in rebates. If you fail at any of them you loose the discount. The idiots who go through these methods of getting the phone generally don't realize this until they've already been suckered for more than the phone is actually worth.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.