Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 16 replies

And this how you get out of your blue contract (2g only)

santasbluehelper

Oct 27, 2005, 10:49 PM
I used to work in the call centre so I know this works. I recently quit and got a new job, but decided to do something helpful for all the poor AT&T TDMA (digital) customers who got hosed by AWs and now are getting the golden shower from cingular. So I decided to post this little tidbit of info.

Getting Out of Your Blue Contract Without a Cancellation Fee

1) Go to your local Cingular store. (I say store becuase otherwise you will pay $9.95 shipping.)

2) Wait 6 weeks for a representitive to help you. 😛 Tell the representitive that you are interested in migrating your blue account to orange.

3) Let them "convince" you that you want whichever piece of crap they have on special today and get it. (It really does not matt...
(continues)
texaswireless

Oct 28, 2005, 1:08 AM
So this post and others like it have been wandering around here for months, with a new twist.

Why, in your opinion, is this only a TDMA issue instead of any ATTWS customer?
FuelSlut

Oct 30, 2005, 9:53 PM
To be honest with you - you cant get out of your contract with ATTWs unless you are eligible for migration. A migration is considered an "Upgrade" for which you must be eligible. If you migrate to Cingular (ATTWs and Cingular are still considered 2 separate companies) before you are eligible there will be an ETF. I'm not fully sure if its TMDA or GSM cust only but i do know that i've had extremely irrate customers call me because they got their final ATTWs bill which had 4 lines of service. Each line of service had an ETF attached to it because they migrated before they were eligible. Just a thought before actually doing this.
texaswireless

Oct 31, 2005, 11:20 AM
In this market (Central Region, North Texas) you can migrate at any time. You can only get a discount on new equipment if you meet upgrade eligibility.
texaswireless

Oct 28, 2005, 1:12 AM
Oh, and for every poor schmuck who decides to do this and succeeds there are 10 others who are charged the ETF. Now those ten others have to deal with the fallout of not being able to go back to their ATTWS plan because they followed your (and others) idea and must now choose to go back to Cingular orange and pay a ETF with the new guy (or at minimum the act fee).

It flat out says in CSP that should a customer cancel within 30 days they will be reverse migrated and placed back into their old agreement.

And now that most customers have been put into the new orange system migrations are fewer and fewer and it is simply an upgrade.
Amy55

Oct 28, 2005, 11:30 AM
That's not true at all. There are loopholes around it. I saw at least 3 a week when I was working there. Another one is the customer can phantom churn to Cingular (the bright executives decided to waive the ETFs on accounts that phantom churn) and then port out within the 30 days. You don't get to keep your same number but if you basically port a day after you start the new line of service you will get the activation fee waived. Anyone who says that "they will catch it and the ETF will be charged" doesn't know what they are talking about. I used to watch accounts that did stuff like this and nothing was ever charged.
JephMan

Oct 28, 2005, 11:47 AM
There is a chance this is market specific. I know if someone comes into my store and migrates to orange we migrate them back to blue if they happen to return the equipment. Especially if they are still under contract on the blue side. You get different answers from different people but this is what we do in my market
ralph_on_me

Oct 28, 2005, 11:49 AM
Since everything we've been trained with says Blue to Orange migrations who cancel and don't reverse migrate will be charged an ETF, the only "loopholes" would be the poorly trained employees who let them do so.
alejandro

Oct 28, 2005, 4:46 PM
sucks to be those people who want to escape the company that will stop at nothing to keep them locked in.
ralph_on_me

Oct 28, 2005, 5:25 PM
I think it sucks to rip people (companies in this case) off. If they want out, pay the ETF. They got a discounted handset for a contract so either fulfill it or pay it out.

I get discounted DSL from Earthlink because I signed a contract. If I cancel I pay a $150 ETF. It's fair, it's ethical, and it's a good deal for the consumer.
alejandro

Oct 28, 2005, 7:09 PM
well it may be standard practice but it is neither fair nor ethical, but neither is trying to sneak around getting out of the contract by re-signing up. What sucks is that a company was sold to another company, but not really, AT&T was not sold, their networks were not the reason for the buyout, cingular paid for the customers, they bought people, but this is not just a cingular thing, any company would do the same. What is not right is one company buying the contracts from another company and not letting that person escape this new company. A lot of those people may be stupid because everyone knew it was getting purchased. but the subsidized phone is not really a good excuse because that would be money AT&T would be out, not cingular.
Vox Dei

Oct 28, 2005, 8:20 PM
you sort of go back and forth on your argument. Cingular purchased AWS because of the people. Most of that 41 billion was for those contract. If they payed 41 billion and let everyone out of their contracts then they would have payed 41 billion and got nothing but spectrum and towers and that's not work the 41B
alejandro

Oct 29, 2005, 1:42 PM
yes, that is what i am saying, it should not be legal to buy people.
b4theymkmerun

Oct 31, 2005, 9:32 AM
amy you are exactly right..... i work for blue.... and if a person "migrates" meaning converting to cingular (orange) and they see that you cancellled your blue account then opened up a new cingular orange tbey will waive the etf.... now, this may require an hour or more on the phone, you may have to go thru a "resolution" department but they will do it.... you just claim you needed a new phone and couldn't wait till attws sent one out ( which they do ) as long as they can confirm you have a new cingular account that was just built they will waive it and call it "phantom churn" which i think is only fair. now, if you are slick, within 30 days send back your new phone and cancel your cingular service and you are home free.... i work within t...
(continues)
b4theymkmerun

Oct 31, 2005, 9:33 AM
and this applies to attws 2g and 3g.gsm..by the way.
Amy55

Oct 31, 2005, 5:37 PM
I didn't find it too hard to get the fee waived. Basically just follow the "Save Call Process Flow" and then cancell it for phantom churn. I think there is even a reason code that says "Phantom Churn to Cingular".
BrokenSoul

Oct 31, 2005, 10:10 AM
😈

Used to sell AT&T and Cingular, hence my oh so positive outlook on life. But hey, at the Asylum, they let me use the computer twice a week....

It used to be if you migrated from AT&T to Cingular, you could cancel w/o a termination fee. Not anymore, they were losing too many customers.

One of my bosses favorites was to tell the customer "No Problem, we can upgrade your phone, but under the new rules Cingular has, we have to give you new phone numbers."

Shady shady shady mother effer.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.