Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 21 replies

Just looking

Sorn

Oct 19, 2005, 2:50 PM
I've come to the conclusion that "Just looking" is an automatic response. Very rarely when I ask a customer if they have any questions do they say yes, or ask one. Unless first they say, "No I'm just looking". That is often followed by a question.
Why? Do you have it stuck into your mind that if you ask me a question the world will end? Someone walks in and is walking to the counter I say, "how can I help you?" "I'm just looking. But I have a problem with my phone..."
Why? What have we done that has instilled this questionable question fear in customers?
cellsellphones

Oct 19, 2005, 2:52 PM
That is so true! Thanks for pointing that out.
Sorn

Oct 19, 2005, 2:53 PM
Oh good, I thought it may just be me.
CptFarlow

Oct 19, 2005, 2:56 PM
Nope...happens to me all the time, too.

"Can I help you?"

"Nope, just looking."

"Okay, just let me know if you need anyth-"

"How much is this phone? Can I get it at this price? This one is FREE?! That one is too much. Will this work with T-Mobile? My brother has Sprint, will his phone work with Verizon...?"

Sound familiar?
Sorn

Oct 19, 2005, 2:58 PM
Waaayy to familiar...
mysystemsareupdating

Oct 19, 2005, 8:43 PM
Well thats typically my response when I go into a retail store, my thought is i don't want to waste your time becusae I am not planning on being a sale...
BrokenSoul

Oct 20, 2005, 12:30 PM
I personally believe that anyone who sells cell phones should be allowed to carry a loaded paintball gun. For the following scenario....

-Customer walks into store. Sales rep greets and asks "What can I help you with?"
"Oh, nothing, I'm just looking."
-Two seconds later... "how much is ::chug:: OOWW!! WTF?!?"
"You said you were just looking... Had you planned on asking questions, you would have been here and payed attention when I asked what you needed help with... ::paintball gun ****s::" 😈
tequilasundae

Oct 22, 2005, 11:40 AM
this happened to me once...mall kiosk..
850pm..punk kid..coworker and i are getting ready to shut down..this kid who starts out as just looking, ends up asking for all the information..we give him the gist of all the plans and phones, and he says ok..but he's still standing there...so we ask(reluctantly) for the sale cause its 905..he says not tonite..so we continue to close down..we have counted down the drawer.(the last and final penultimate step ) when he pipes up that he'll get a phone now...(at this point the gates to every store around us are closed) so we tell him no..then he goes off..accusing us of bad customer service, and how right now (915) he'll go to other carrier and get a line just to spite us...good luck with that dinglebe...
(continues)
Amy55

Oct 19, 2005, 7:42 PM
I think it's because they don't want to be bothered by pushy sales people (not saying you are one). I know that when I go into a store I do the same thing because I just want to be left alone until I do have questions. Possibly because they want to look until something catches their eye and then they will ask questions.
UOQuack

Oct 20, 2005, 9:25 AM
I never accept "just looking" as a reasonable response. I will follow that up with "is there anything in particular you are looking for?", or "do you have cell phone service with anyone currently?". The majority of the time one of these questions will elicit a response that will allow me to get into my pitch. The only time I'll leave the customer alone is if they totally ignore me, or if they restate that they really are just looking, then I will tell them "ok, the phones are here, the rate plans are over there, if you have any questions feel free to ask me and I'll be happy to help." Then I keep an eye on them, and a couple minutes later after I've figured out what is attracting their attention I'll try again with a couple specific ques...
(continues)
Sorn

Oct 20, 2005, 10:07 AM
Thats what I generally do as well. But what bugs me is when they do have a question, but they say just looking anyway, then go on to ask the question. It just seems like a natural reaction to me.
I know some people do it to be left alone, or because they really are just looking. It's just urkful when they do it right before asking a question.
BrokenSoul

Oct 20, 2005, 12:32 PM
Dictionary, Sorn, Dictionary... Irkful (made up word in the first place, but then again, you probably suck at life anyway).
Sorn

Oct 20, 2005, 1:09 PM
I love the busting out of random stupidity. Would the spelling of a made up word matter? And do we really need to get into this on a cell phone forum, just so you can polish your ego? Which is probably misplaced anyway? I mean come on. You say 'dictionary' then go on to say it's a made up word. That, mind you, is not in the dictionary.

(www.m-w.com, irkful comes up with no direct matches.)

Next time you come in to 'correct' someone... Try not needing to be corrected yourself, eh?
djdelay

Oct 20, 2005, 3:02 PM
the word is irksome
Tampa_VZW_Jim

Oct 21, 2005, 7:26 PM
Funny, i looked it up and all i found was: irkful (v) who cares.

lol just kidding folks. keep on going with your grammar and spelling battles.

HOOKEED ON P-HONIKES WORKEED FOR MEH!!!!
everman

Oct 20, 2005, 3:33 PM
Actually, the word you are looking for is irksome.
UOQuack

Oct 21, 2005, 3:45 PM
what an urkfulsome discussion this turned out to be
cadillacman1986

Oct 20, 2005, 5:16 PM
I just got off the phone with some lady with an accent that just screamed 'Stupid/ignorant person'.

Her: I was told by one of yers people I couldn't activate this phone. I's found it.

Me: No, I'm sorry you cannot, that phone was probably reported lost/stolen, and no one but the original owner can activate it. I would reccomend you take it back to xxx store so they can return it to the owner.

Her: But, but, buh... I found a phone, its mine now. I don't know who's its is. Why cant I activate it?

Me: It's not your phone, it is registered to somebody else, and only they can use it, I would highly reccomend taking it to the store to have it returned to them. The phone is essentially worthless to you, you can't use it.

He...
(continues)
Fenix1003

Oct 20, 2005, 5:32 PM
GOD...i get people like that ALOT
Fenix1003

Oct 20, 2005, 5:32 PM
I can almost hear her talking by reading that stuff...*shivers*
cingcing

Oct 20, 2005, 6:22 PM
First off, I love playing games with customers.

If a customer comes in and I greet them, if they say just looking, I'm gone. lol I'm either helping another customer or in the back room or on the other side if the store talking to another rep. That way when they do have to ask thier annoying question, they have to look for me and walk over to me and best of all, wait for me. That way they know my time is as valuable as thiers.

I think it is just programmed into peoples heads that we are like used car salesman, very pushy and not compassionate about them or thier needs at all. Why do you think they keep asking for discounts and trying to haggle the price of the phone down. I like throwing them a curveball and being the oppisite of pushy,...
(continues)
axess_denied

Oct 20, 2005, 8:24 PM
I think I missed my Cub Scout meeting the day they had us do the "I'm Just Looking" chapter in our Bear Cub book. Did anyone else miss that meeting, it is only speculation but I am pretty sure that BSA and GSA are responsible for engraining this type of crap into the minds of our youth. The real reason I suspect these two organizations is because the other day my buddy found his Cub Scout belt with all of the BSA shields on it and the first one he got was for "consumer Practices" and the little picture was of a dude saying "I am just looking." Geeze, talk about trippy... we just found his belt the other day and then you post this thread... Erie.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.