Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 51 replies

CSR Blowing Up Storied

wacko_javo

Oct 10, 2005, 3:02 PM
Ok, I've never seen a topic like this one so far, so I'm creating one: Working in a Call Center, hove you ever been disrespectful to a costumer? Or maybe not even disrespectful but very forward, maybe rude? something like "it like this, no other option, told you three times already, we've been talking for 10 minutes...." Anything like that at all??
Only for call centers please!

My story (the one that inspired this post):
Old lady calls (she said she was almost 26, sounded much older to me) and says she wants to speak to my supervisor, I was like "ok, I'll be happy to xfer the call, can I please start by having your home phone number so I can pull up your information?" to wich she replied "I talked to 2 people already and the latest...
(continues)
lorilicious

Oct 10, 2005, 3:22 PM
OMG I WANNA HEAR HOW THIS ONE TURNED OUT! LOL
cadillacman1986

Oct 10, 2005, 3:48 PM
yeah, one time some older lady called in about her high bill this month. I told her about the very high minutes....750 used on a 400 minute plan. I then proceeded to look at her current usage to see if she was over again. OVER 900 minutes, and the billing cycle was over the next day. I strongly urged her to change the plan immediately to a higher plan so she wouldn't be charged for overages. Still wouldn't because she didn't want to pay $59.99 or $79.99 for a months bill. I then lost it and said "listen, if you don't change it now, you WILL have a much higher bill going well over four or five hundred dollars next month, plus this bill here." Customer still refused. I just said "Look, you're just shooting yourself in the foot if you don'...
(continues)
cadillacman1986

Oct 10, 2005, 4:00 PM
Oh yes, and when I told her how both bills would still be there, she informed me that she would not pay them. I got very straightforward and told her that the account would be sent to collections and she could have her credit messed up very badly.

anyways, i got another one from a couple of weeks ago.
A different lady called in about the high bill and I explained everything to her. This lady went off about lawyers and sueing our company. I let her go on, until she kept saying it and I finally said "You know what, you can go ahead and try to sue this xxxxx wireless, but you can't. You signed a contract saying you agreed to not sue us, and you can take it to arbitration as the contract states, but you CANNOT sue xxxx wireless!"

(continues)
themike314

Oct 10, 2005, 4:19 PM
Hmm... $79.99 vs. $500.00...

Of course, the customer expect $0.00. How many CSR's and/or supervisors will she have to talk to until she gets what she wants?
bassplayer

Oct 10, 2005, 4:21 PM
just change their bills so they are in spanish. 😈
Vox Dei

Oct 11, 2005, 7:35 PM
or braile 😁
Nikoletta

Oct 10, 2005, 4:11 PM
Mine wasn't a customer, it was a store agent... now most of y'all know how much I despise having store agents call me but this time I called HIM.

Cust called me to set up a line of service however the new software (shoot whoever wrote this stuff btw, they really need to just drop dead) would NOT accept their billing address despite being confirmed by USPS and UPS... so in the case that a software bug prevents us from placing an order we have been instructed to call a dealer in the customer's area and arrange that dealer to take the sale...meaning I was calling him to GIVE HIM my sale...

He answered with his spiel and I said "Hello there Mr. Dealer, my name is Niki, I'm in telesales and I have a present for you."

He got pretty testy ...
(continues)
cadillacman1986

Oct 10, 2005, 4:34 PM
haha, geez if i was in sales i would've jumped on that. whats up his @ss?
Nikoletta

Oct 10, 2005, 4:49 PM
No clue, and it was a gimmie too, existing cust who was already approved through our reviews department (I'd made the call and had the approval number there to give him.)
cadillacman1986

Oct 10, 2005, 5:08 PM
i wouldn't mind working sales in a store. it gets boring in this call center. i'd rather be able to speak to the customer in person and be nice or be a prick to them to their face. No QA scores or recordings.....
Buffo

Oct 11, 2005, 10:16 AM
that'll be the day!

no wait, this is my last cellphones job! get off my head, you little #@&%!!!!!
wacko_javo

Oct 11, 2005, 10:29 AM
ok, to begin with, it was blowing up storieS, so many typos! I hate myself... anyway, the lady had said she was almost 36, not 26, but she sounded 60 to me.

CONTINUATION (Remember my reasons why NOT to put my supervisor on the ph)

She gets very mad saying "you are telling me they cannot do anything else, that you can do just as much as they can do, well why are they there then??! what's the point to have a supervisor?!" (In the meantime I'm thinking to myself that my supervisor has been in the position for about 1 WEEK and was comming fom a different project that had nothing to do with cellphones, and had almost no training in our procedures, so I'm chopped liver still on the line, but moving on...) so I replied that as far as procedur...
(continues)
Fenix1003

Oct 11, 2005, 11:49 AM
you are a sellout...once one is rude to customer, one shall ALWAYS be rude
Nikoletta

Oct 11, 2005, 12:13 PM
Now that's not totally true. Even the best of us have, at one time, lost their temper and snipped somebody's head of, most of the time they deserved it, occasionally they didn't, but it's not a deliberate thing in most cases. It can be funny though if you've really reached the breaking point because the customer just isn't listening, either because they are just thick or because they seem to think that if they ask enough times you'll change your mind... Sometimes there is nothing that will get through to a rep. I'm sure Wacko is not saying we should all just be rude in general because it's funny but there ARE occasion's when you are accidentally rude, or just come over that way because they won't listen/can't understand.

Had a woman te...
(continues)
wacko_javo

Oct 11, 2005, 12:57 PM
Just like when you tell them "I understand..." and they reply "no you don't bc you'd be doing something if you understood!" ... well, there're bounderies to what I can do, and becuase I understand both what you tell me and what I can do, or not, I'm saying no. get it already.
Nikoletta

Oct 11, 2005, 1:16 PM
"I completely understand being frustrated in your situation, I would be too but..."

"BUT BUT there's always a but, you people are all idiots! I want your Supervisor."

"Sir, I am the Supervisor, remember, you just asked to talk to me. There's nothing that can be done. You don't have the money on your credit card to pay for the RAZR and the blue-tooth headset and the car kit, and the data bundle hardware, I'm sorry but we can't charge the hardware to your account, we don't have account access. If you want I can try removing some of the accessories and see if we can place the order with just the RAZR but we have to charge the order to a credit card."

"NO NO NO! I use my phone for a very important business and must have the RAZR an...
(continues)
wacko_javo

Oct 11, 2005, 1:36 PM
The costumer escalated your supervisor?? your sup should've put his foot down there...
Nikoletta

Oct 11, 2005, 2:06 PM
I was the supervisor...well what passed for the supervisor at the time and he wanted MY supervisor. She told him the same thing I did. No. I don't know if he asked for her supervisor but she was the highest ranking person on the floor that day.
wacko_javo

Oct 11, 2005, 2:17 PM
oh ok.. I'm confused, I thought you were on the phone, how can you be both a rep and a supervisor? (but anyway if you were a supervisor you didn't have to escalate it to your manager, I wouldnt've had)
Nikoletta

Oct 11, 2005, 3:57 PM
Reps in our call center who have passed certain tests and have been here long enough and pass a couple other criteria are given the title "Mentor" which basically means we get up for part of our day and wander around pretending to be the supervisor and handle supervisor type calls... So you can be both a rep and a supervisor depending on the day and what code you have your computer in.
wacko_javo

Oct 12, 2005, 9:17 AM
ooh I get it! here we call it "back-up," but you don't have to pass tests, 19 yo's with no experience get the possition if their supervisor likes them...
Nikoletta

Oct 12, 2005, 12:23 PM
We use the term "Resource" when we're up but the certificate on my pod wall says "Mentor" It's all the same.
queenvictoria

Oct 12, 2005, 8:23 PM
we call them floaters or seniors
Fenix1003

Oct 12, 2005, 9:32 AM
that sounds alot like Bob
Nikoletta

Oct 12, 2005, 12:25 PM
Bob is based on people like this.
themike314

Oct 12, 2005, 2:54 PM
Yeah, that's definiately Bob.
Nikoletta

Oct 12, 2005, 3:10 PM
Or Bobbina yesterday who insisted we change the price on the RAZR to the $90 the store had it for because she had been a "Loyal Customer" For over three years. Shee-it...I've been buying gas at Holiday Oil for over 9 years, where is my free car? I hate people, I'd rather hold a conversation with my dog, at least all he wants is a bowl of kibble and the occasional hot-dog...and a place on my bed at night.
themike314

Oct 12, 2005, 4:46 PM
When a customer requests a specific price, that's when you give them a list of phones at that price or lower.

"Here are your options at that price." Then just sit back and let them decide.
Nikoletta

Oct 12, 2005, 7:07 PM
Or let them yell at me and ask for my supervisor and then start laughing because she already left for the day.
themike314

Oct 12, 2005, 7:20 PM
That's always fun.

I like to make them even madder by repeating the policy to them (again) and then asking why whey wish to speak with my supervisor.
Vox Dei

Oct 12, 2005, 7:37 PM
I had someone demand my supervisor but there wasn't anyone in the office at the time higher than a rep. Even the help desk had gone home and i called the oncall manager he he was not even in the city 😛. The person i was talking to refused to believe me.
themike314

Oct 12, 2005, 7:48 PM
Of course. You can't give them what they want, so you're probably lying about everything.
Nikoletta

Oct 12, 2005, 7:51 PM
I make a habit of deliberatly lying to customers just to piss them off. 🤣 Sure I do, 'cause I'm just a terrible person like that... of that's what you'd think to hear them tell it when I won't give them a free RAZR.
djdelay

Oct 12, 2005, 8:19 PM
I was floorwalking for our newbies on the floor and I was monitoring a call for one of them. The guy they had on the phone asked them a question about the deductibles for the insurance. They asked me to verify, to which I did. This guy told them (keep in mind that I am monitoring this call, so I can hear him) that whoever they asked was lying and that I was an idiot. I then picked up the phone and told him that I was the rep's supervisor. I then assured him that everything I said was in fact the truth and he could verify that by reading his policy....I told him it was that thing that tells him what the insurance does and does not do, but that I didn't expect him to know that b/c it would require him to have actually taken an intelligent...
(continues)
Buffo

Oct 11, 2005, 10:54 AM
I hate making friends with old ladies. I hate it when it happens to me.

Here's mine. I had been argueing with this cust for about 20 minutes because for some weird reason the store put the contract under his wife's name when he was actually the one who paid for it. He was really angry and wanted to speak to my sup. I was really annoyed (c'mon give a break!, call us back when your wife gets home, what's the big deal). Anyway, we've been around that for a long time. He, yelling at me that he wanted his replacement phone. I, explaining to him that we would not do so without having checked the ownership, having spoken to his wife and needing a credit card# for security purposes.
Then I realized that I was a bit hungry and I needed my break. ...
(continues)
Buffo

Oct 11, 2005, 10:56 AM
oh, sorry, you just have to make him pretend that he's a woman (not a "women").

Multiple personalities would be the NEXT step.
wacko_javo

Oct 11, 2005, 11:11 AM
I've done similar things; for example one time I didn't want to replace a batt bc it lasted "only" 2 days, and I thought that was plenty, lol, told the Cx to call back when it lasted less than a day, I pretty much spelled out to him that he had to call back and lie... later on I found out that we do reaplce batteries that last "only" 2 days because when they are new they last more, but anyway...
It's funny when I don't have to tell them to do it, I just request for the owner of the plan and they would go like "sure, one moment please, he's sleeping and ill grab the other ph..." and then they pick up a ph that comes out all distorted and I can barely understand him. The funny thing about that one was that the guy didn't even bother to chang...
(continues)
Buffo

Oct 11, 2005, 11:55 AM
You still could not make anyone to change their sex.
wacko_javo

Oct 11, 2005, 12:58 PM
I could change my own sex...
wacko_javo

Oct 11, 2005, 12:58 PM
ooh, sorry, we were on the call center topic, sorry 🤭
Nikoletta

Oct 11, 2005, 11:36 AM
That's evil with a touch of Manic Genius, I LOVE IT.
themike314

Oct 11, 2005, 1:48 PM
I have to refrain myself in this job. In my previous job, I was free to say anything I wanted to the 'customer' - as long as I did not use profanity.

I miss that, especially when someone gets irate with me because the policy prohibits them from getting what they want.
littlepinksock

Oct 11, 2005, 4:44 PM
I guess the one thing that bugs me about customer service calls are the people who call in and say they're one person and then you hear the voice change, and they try to tell you they are the same person. You have to believe them because they didn't say anything different, but it's annoying.

And how about the people who say they are "Jane" or "Linda" but have a distinctly male voice? What I like to do is just say Ma'am every other sentence. 🙂 You can tell if they are really male by the way they fume over the phone. It's highly amusing.
bassplayer

Oct 13, 2005, 12:54 PM
So, this lady walks into our store with a box and I'm thinking "Great, I get to clean up someone else's mess" since we've only sold one of that type of phone here. She then tells me that she needs to return the phone, which I know that we did not sell her the phone, but I act stupid. I ask her if she bought the phone with us, and she replies no, so I tell her that she needs to return the phone where she bought it. Here's how the conversation went:

"I'm not EVER going back to that store again!!!"

"well ma'm, you need to take it back to them because that's where you bought it"

"I want to talk to your manager then! I Don't care, I don't want to go back there, YOU NEED TO TAKE IT BACK HERE!"

ALMOST THE FIRST THING OUT OF HER MOUT...
(continues)
bassplayer

Oct 13, 2005, 12:57 PM
Nothing against Katrina Victims, you guys did go through an awful lot, so no disrespect meant!
Nikoletta

Oct 13, 2005, 1:11 PM
I have a lot of sympathy for Katrina victims but I'm getting awfully sick and tired of having somebody call me saying "I was displaced by Katrina" and expecting that to be a magic salve to fix everything...if you had an account with us previously and didn't pay if and owe $2000 in collections, being a hurricane Victim isn't going to make that balance go away, it's not going to fix your bad credit either so stop yelling at me about how you need a phone RIGHT NOW because you've been displaced...You're going to have to pay a deposit to get that phone scooter, your credit hoses.
themike314

Oct 13, 2005, 1:29 PM
Too bad you didn't have to call the cops and have her arrested for trespassing.

That would be an awesome news story.
Nikoletta

Oct 13, 2005, 1:29 PM
I think I would have gone to get the manager just to pacify her because you know reps always lie about everything, it's as natural as breathing, hell we don't even realize we're doing it. Clearly 🙄
wacko_javo

Oct 13, 2005, 1:59 PM
it's pathological... we get off on deniying rightfully deserved stuff to loyal customers.
Nikoletta

Oct 13, 2005, 2:07 PM
EXACTLY! It's like a big orgy of jerk-ness, it's in our blood!
axess_denied

Oct 13, 2005, 2:19 PM
That sucks. Retail is such a P.I.T.A. Some of these people just do not get the fact that there is something called franchise business in the USA. Why do they expect that they can return another company's inventory just because the phone has the same logo on the front? Easy - THEY ARE STUPID. Other than that, not much else has changed in people.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.