Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 31 replies

It really blows my mind - a bit of a rant

Nikoletta

Aug 28, 2005, 4:04 PM
People, just in general, really blow my mind sometimes. 😡 They don't appreciate anything, they get mad if they don't get something for nothing, and they can't learn to speak English (And I'm not talking about people who were born to another language and learned English as a second language, I'm talking about the people who were born in this country and speak such bad and broken English that they may as well be speaking a native dialect from some small third world country!) Oh yes and they're just plain RUDE. Do they think that because we are speaking to them over the phone that they can say all the foul nasty things that they would never say to somebody in person?

Today's star caller was a guy who was thinking about setting up a line...
(continues)
everman

Aug 29, 2005, 12:59 PM
Amen
freedomrep

Aug 29, 2005, 1:14 PM
I could not have said it better myself!!!!!
Nikoletta

Aug 29, 2005, 3:46 PM
I should first point out that I have a huge amount of respect for anybody who can learn a second language, especially people who learn a new language later in life. I have a huge reserve of patience for people who have, after moving to this country from another struggle to learn to speak English, it's not an easy language to learn from a cold start like that. This particular tantrum is about the people who have no excuse, who were born in the United States and grew up speaking the language. These people who are too illiterate or lazy to enunciate and speak clearly.

A conversation that actually took place...

"Thank you for calling XXX. My name is Niki may I have your name please?"

There was a pause and then these words "I wants...
(continues)
hishkebibble

Aug 29, 2005, 4:57 PM
hear hear...i don't like having to hear "can i get my phone cut on" and hoomeupwanademphones...(sound it out!)..and "how much be".....also when they call and the kids are screaming in the background... 😳
Nikoletta

Aug 29, 2005, 5:21 PM
Yes, not just yelling in the background screaming. It's that eardrum shattering sound that makes blood start coming from your ears. Or they are arguing with somebody in the background and the profanities are flying so thick and fast that you're worried you're going to get splattered.
memetics

Aug 30, 2005, 6:32 PM
I have to back you up, Nikoletta. It's not just happening to you. I'm a college English teacher (college, mind you), and I have to deal with lazy, poor English all the time - and not just in writing, but in speech, too. Native speakers generally are the worst culprits. Non-native speakers of English generally know the "rules" of English a lot better than native speakers do. It's pretty depressing, really.

As an aside:

Yes, sometimes it's tough to understand English spoken with a non-native accent (which is why people get so frustrated with having to speak to someone in a distant call center). However, there are many valid reasons why immigrants to English-speaking countries have trouble acquiring the language and accent ca...
(continues)
Nikoletta

Aug 30, 2005, 6:51 PM
And I fully agree, it's incredibly admirable that they are making the effort to learn a second language (or third or forth in some cases.) and I don't mind getting heavy accents. It can be difficult to carry out a conversation and we often have to repeat ourselves many times but I am willing to work with people who are genuinely trying. I am bi-lingual myself and understand the frustration of learning. (I started my French studies in middle-school, at about age 13.) And compared to English, French is EASY. I read someplace (I can't remember were) that English is one of the most difficult languages to learn later in life because of all the little side-rules that we have, the strange spellings, and phonics.
freephones4all

Aug 31, 2005, 12:37 AM
I could care less how well my customers speak english. I get paid well to listen to their bad english. That broken english just sounds like more 'cha-ching' to me 😁
memetics

Aug 31, 2005, 2:12 AM
I should have added that some people are going to be lazy (or jerks) no matter what the language is. But that's life. 😛

English is tricky. It's not necessarily the hardest to learn - that depends on what your native language is - but it's often more difficult for anyone to learn because it evolved from more than one language. (This is due in part to historical invasions of the British Isles and the resulting multi-lingual environment.) That's why some words follow one rule, while other words follow a different rule. For instance, make "mouse" and "chair" plural. One word has its spelling changed; the other just adds an ending. I'm sure you can think of other examples - especially in verbs, like "go" and "follow" - where...
(continues)
Fenix1003

Aug 31, 2005, 10:49 AM
😳 *applause*
EvilOrangeJello

Aug 30, 2005, 3:02 PM
someone works in T-Mobile telesales ;)
Nikoletta

Aug 30, 2005, 8:40 PM
Well I actually think that you get this type of rubbish in any telesales (or even care) environment. 😉
themike314

Aug 30, 2005, 7:34 PM
I had one like that today.

When asked when her phone was lost, I got, "A mun ago."

What the heck is a mun? And yes, it was 'mun' and not 'munt' or 'munf'.
aloha

Aug 29, 2005, 6:25 PM
Wasn't the StarTac announced / released in the 1994-1995 time frame?
Nikoletta

Aug 29, 2005, 7:16 PM
You know I know I don't remeber when the first phones came out, probably about that time. Those massive brick-phones. My dad had one (I was like 12) and my brother and I used to tease him and say we could build a house using the phone as a brick.
cellutions79

Aug 30, 2005, 1:03 PM
Not to mention BAGPHONES, you actually had to carry a luggage bag to use this thing. Its so funny how quick people forget. Even worse mobile phones, where unless you were in your vehicle!! you could not use the phone. Its safe to say no matter how advanced our technology gets people in general will never be happy. Graeat rant Niko, you pretty much said it all.
Nikoletta

Aug 30, 2005, 8:42 PM
Yes, bagphones, and CAR PHONES were a BIG DEAL, they were INOVATIVE, people were thrilled. Now they're just jaded.
ollywolf

Aug 31, 2005, 5:24 PM
Those phones came out in the 80's, I remember them growing up in California and there are still people using them today. Why I have no idea.
EvilOrangeJello

Aug 30, 2005, 3:01 PM
awesome rant. Thanks for saying what we're all thinking.
Vox Dei

Aug 30, 2005, 6:18 PM
Accually i'm sitting in a white padded room rocking back and forth thinking "I hate people I hate people I hate people I hate people I hate people". And yes i get internet access through my cell phone so I can tell you this.
axess_denied

Sep 6, 2005, 2:55 PM
People are idiots, those of us in retail or CS should know this by now. No one is ever satisfied with the hard work that many people in these industries put forth. Screw 'em. Sure they pay our bills and they put food on our tables, but if I show up at the McDonald's that my customer works at, do you really think they are going to give me a McFlurry and some fries just 'cause I walked through the door? The next time I activate a customer who starts asking me to give away the house I am going to ask them for something to trade. Then every time I use this trick, I am going to post the responses here, that should give everyone, including you obnoxious and under-intelligent customers, a nice little laugh.
lorilicious

Sep 6, 2005, 5:31 PM
i strongly believe you can't please everyone!, there is always going to be someone somewhere who no matter how hard you try to be nice and please their every hissy fit will actually appreciate it. You can do whatever you can do, be nice, be polite but don't expect too much and most importantly don't take it personal.
Fenix1003

Sep 6, 2005, 5:34 PM
LOL thats true, but i want to see axess denied posts
axess_denied

Sep 9, 2005, 1:29 PM
Here is a story from my store that is along the topic of the "free phone syndrome." Apparently these Arabic cats that own the Subway in the food court here came up and haggled with our oldest rep for a few HOURS about free accessories and discounts on equipment. When this rep asked if he could get a discount at the Subway, the guys replied "Why should you?" After they walked away the rep noticed one of them left his keys on the counter. So, as a sign of tolerance and understanding to these twits he picked up their keys, walked to the closest public trash can and dropped them in. After a twenty or thirty minutes one of the dudes came back and asked if anyone had seen his "lost" keys. The response - "No." Don't ^%$& with wireless retailers, we...
(continues)
ollywolf

Sep 19, 2005, 10:38 PM
And you complain that customers are rude and crude when you do something like that. Come on who is the CHILD here I wonder, oh wait I meant adult
ollywolf

Sep 6, 2005, 10:59 PM
I have been working in a call center for 4 years now and it still amazes me how stupid people really are and how rude they are. I just had a guy from the east coast call in for his phone was held up and now he is going to be losing THOUSANDS of DOLLARS in business for he has no cell phone. GET A LIFE MAN. I work here trying to get the phone to you and trust me insulting me isn't going to help you much either. Just because I work in the admin office for sales and have a connection with the shipping department doesn't mean I can make your phone be the first at your door step with me kissing you blooming ars for forgiveness. Not happening buddy. We are all trying to get these phones out to them but they don't care they all think we owe th...
(continues)
Nikoletta

Sep 7, 2005, 3:28 PM
"I just had a guy from the east coast call in for his phone was held up and now he is going to be losing THOUSANDS of DOLLARS in business for he has no cell phone." 🤣 🤣 I can't stop laughing. I hate that line. It's like the "Bob the typical Cingular Customer" (Episode 3) where he rants about his www.noodlesforoodles.com and how not having his text will cost him huge amounts of money and cause his business to fail. People think that every single problem they have is caused by their phone and that it should become my personal priority to fix their problem. Guess what pumpkin, it's not. 🤣
iloveMOTOV300

Sep 6, 2005, 5:46 PM
I am a wireless customer. I paid 120 dollars for my Moto V300 because I wanted it so badly. Am I happy with my phone? Yes! Although there are much better phones out there, I don't need them.

I have never complained to my carrier in a mean manner ever. One time I did have major signal issues for several months in a row, and I calmy told my C/S Rep about my issue and I was very respectful and I never said anything mean, nor did I ask for compensation, but the Rep gave me a bonus 50 minutes for my troubles anyways! Customers need to learn that if you are nice and calmy explain your situation and never demand anything, your reps will help you and they may even give you a little bonus with your plan.

People are so greedy! I agree, cel...
(continues)
Nikoletta

Sep 6, 2005, 6:29 PM
I try too, if a caller is nice like that and polite, I've bent over back wards (I'm getting very flexible!) to try and help a customer who is patient and doesn't raise their voice or swear at me. I am sympathetic when the other person acts civil.

If you are mean, loud, mouthy, crude, or just plain obnoxious I will do exactly what the book says I must and I will absolutely NOT take it one step further. If, as you are MOTO, you are calm, polite, and despite being frustrated do not use any profanities (no matter how much you want to...) I will call every other department and argue vehemently with them. I will push the line just a little bit to get things done. In short if you treat me well I will make sure to do the same, if you treat ...
(continues)
ollywolf

Sep 19, 2005, 10:29 PM
I really love my Moto, and I am greatful you gave it to me. 😁
I have worked for customer care for about 2 1/2 years and trust me if your rude they will not help you and if your nice and kind, you will get the best service they have to offer and then some.
axess_denied

Sep 9, 2005, 1:31 PM
Customers like you are the best type to deal with. 😉

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.