Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 6 replies

totally off topic...

thespike66

Jul 24, 2005, 12:58 AM
Don't start screaming at me, i really don't care if this should be on a computer forum, I don't have access to it (thanks mister firewall).

I'm building myself a LPPC and I'm probably going to be using a ASUS-deluxe for the motherboard. I know its not the greatest out there, but I'm on a convergys budget, remember. And it's reliable like no other, just a little slower than pentium 4, and I honestly don't care that much. I'm good enough at most games so that I don't need to rely mostly on clock speed.

I just don't know which CPU to choose. To be honest, I don't even know which socket it goes with. Any info...

thanks in advance
-Frenchie-
ZombieJ

Jul 24, 2005, 1:42 AM
Hey, hope this helps...

- I assume the ASUS Deluxe you speak of is the ASUS K8V SE Delux board ?

- If so it's socket 754, not really the most up to date, probably not going to get a lot more support as far as you wanting to upgrade the CPU in the future. Socket 939 is going to get a lot more support... just fyi.

- Also with the Socket 754 your going to be buying most likely be an AMD Sempron CPU (Think of them as AMD's Celerons) As far as i know thats the only 754's out there, correct me if im wrong someone.

- If your buying this board second hand and you cant get away form using it you can get an
AMD Sempron 3100 (3.1 ghz in comparison to an Intel) for around 160 bucks (cdn) Which is decent.. but were not talking top of the l...
(continues)
ZombieJ

Jul 24, 2005, 1:46 AM
Actually now that i think about it. They did make Athlon 64's for socket 754. Sorry about that.
ZombieJ

Jul 24, 2005, 1:50 AM
if your on a convergys budjet, I jsut chekced and they have an AMD 64 2800 socket 754 for $166 cdn.
Next up is a 3700 for 450 bones. This is all at tigerdirect.ca If you were to shop around you might find something in between. But like I said earlier I dont think 754 gets much support these days.
thespike66

Jul 24, 2005, 6:07 AM
Actually, the ASUS I was talking about is the A7N8X-E DELUXE (god thats hard to type). I just saw that I could use an AMD Athlon XP with that mb. I still don't know which socket it is. But to be honest, yeah I would be much more comfortable with socket 939, knowing that little else will be supported.

Do you think it would do well enough for a good LPPC?
Thanks for the info, its gonna be usefull.

-Frenchie-
thespike66

Jul 24, 2005, 6:17 AM
actually I just found out that the Athlon XP is for socket A. I really don't know about that though. Is it still going to be used?

Anyway, I would still appreciate any feedback. It's my first build-off, so I don't want to spend to much with still getting some good quality.

My second job is at a cybercafe, and the manager have a small repair computer business, so i can get decent price over good pieces.

-Frenchie- thanks again.
ZombieJ

Jul 24, 2005, 1:30 PM
That board is defiantly Socket A and for XP's which is what you see in a Compaq for instance. Socket A even more-so than socket 754 is becoming obsolete unfortunately, K7's aren't even manufactured anymore. Hence why pricing on the boards is so good and you see them in lots of 3rd party machines HP's et cetera (manufacturers want to get rid of stock).

Thats not to say you wouldn't be able to find a CPU that would suit your needs right now, plus that board can support duel channel ram, but when upgrade time comes around you'll find no/little options.

939 is the way to go, but they even have 940's out now. Stupid technology, moves too fast. But 939's (and 940's) are slated to get support even from AMD's latest Duel Core "Optero...
(continues)

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.