Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 34 replies

Asurion Insurance?

Chevelle

May 28, 2005, 3:21 PM
Has anyone else had major problems with these guys?
I have a customer whose LGVX6000 got broken in October. She made an insurance claim and now the insurance phone will turn on, get to that lovely "Verizon Wireless" screen and not do anything else. It just sits there. We tried the hard reboot and that did nothing. We called Asurion and her warranty (their's is only 6 months...) ran out 3 days ago...
She began having problems with the phone last week and called Verizon customer service about it. They told her to come into and Verizon store and get the phone replaced (They should have told her to call Asurion since it was no longer under a manufacturer's warranty). Well it's an insurance phone so it's their warranty, and since it was Veriz...
(continues)
PsYkE

May 28, 2005, 3:32 PM
Major problems? Forever & a day. That's why we switched to Lock\Line. I've heard they're being sued or something as well by some major companies. I just had a huge argument w/ them yesterday.

You can have her call Asurion back & insist they replace her phone. If they don't replace it, call Verizon & threaten to cancel due to Asurion not replacing it. If they refuse, ask for a sup. If they refuse, ask for a manager. Be nice, speak to the proper people. & you'll get your replacement.
Vatothe0

May 30, 2005, 2:46 AM
The phone company isn't responsible for what the insurance company decides to do. Making trouble with your carrier will get your service disco'd with the etf. Verizon doesn't even have to do what they offer with Express Exchange and facilitating the manufacturer's warranty, they do it to be nice. So go ahead and complain about a courtesy they offer. See how far it gets.

She needs to file antoher claim and pay the $50. That's pretty much all there is. That or she's probably due for an upgrade anyway.
PsYkE

May 30, 2005, 8:43 AM
I beg to differ. @least my company, & myself being in retention would do what it takes to make the customer happy when it's so obvious they were wronged. The insurance company's service reflects on the cell phone company's service.

That's exactly what's wrong w/ so many companies. The "It's not our problem" attitude.
jerrydock

May 31, 2005, 4:01 PM
First off, I always discourage my customers from buying any insurance. I encourge them to go to ebay and buy extra phones. I hate all insurance. Their job is to deny the claim.
jed_ed

May 31, 2005, 4:22 PM
I know from experience it is not asurions job to deny the claim, it is their job to assist the customer as much as they can within the parameters of the policy. If it was their job to deny the claim no one would have it and it would make no sense for verizon to offer the option. does your employer know and are they happy you are discouragng the customer from using a service they saw fit to offer in the first place?
PsYkE

May 31, 2005, 4:37 PM
Not to mention phones on ebay are often locked.
Vatothe0

Jun 1, 2005, 3:00 AM
HAHA that's funny you mention that. I emailed a guy about a V710 he had for sale. He said it's mint but used. I figured it would be worth $175 or $200 bucks to check it out. I asked for the ESN. The one he sent me was a pre 1991 phone that the system didn't even recognize. Asked him to double check it. This time I got the HEX ESN. Still, not a V710. So who knows what that guy was selling.

Totally aside from other phones probably having been stolen.
jkrivjansky

May 31, 2005, 4:52 PM
I don't know who you work for. But I'm sure glad I'm not your customer. That's hands down the most idiotic thing I've ever heard.

Can you verify the condition of any phone on eBay? Can you tell me if it's had any sort of failure just from the picture? Secondly what warranty is there for that eBay purchase?

Not to mention what if you end up dealing with a "less than savory" seller? Heaven forbid you buy a stolen phone but what recorse would your customer have? None. Zip. Zero.

Yeah insurance is bad. Lord knows their replacements aren't guaranteed. They don't get the phones to you quickly. THey don't replace as a discounted rate. Yeah. Take the gamble. Go eBay.

🙄
waldo

Jun 1, 2005, 7:29 AM
I work for an indirect and we have created our own insurance. It is a great program with an upfront fee that is less than the monthly's combined, has a cheaper deductable, as well as a nice 3 day shipping policy. Beats the pants off of Asurion, Lock/Line, and eBay...

-W
jerrydock

Jun 2, 2005, 7:43 AM
You obviously have little/no experience buying/selling on ebay. I have only had one phone that was not as described and paypal got my money back for me.

But my days are full of denied claims from Asurion and before that Signal.

I have a good feel for competent customers; those are the ones who get the ebay advice. BTW, some of the best purchases I have seen from my customers do involve "hot" phones. That is why GSM is the darling of thieves.

You do it your way; I will do it mine. Whatever floats your boat.
jkrivjansky

Jun 3, 2005, 7:37 PM
Well then. Using your own logic strengthens my point. I've had plenty of friends deal with eBay (I myself purchase nothing) A majority of them have all had problems.

When dealing with ins replacemnts. I've only seen claims denied in accordance with guidelines set out by the coverage certificate.

SO to paraphrase your "catchy phrase"

You take your chances, I'll not take mine. Whatever riskes you want it's your karma not mine.
professorhacker

Jun 6, 2005, 9:31 PM
AGREE with jerrydock on this issue, Let's look at what mr "karma" had to say. What are businesses in business for? TO MAKE MONEY. Hence- Asurion, Lock/line, Signal Insurance. It is not in these companies best interest to deny claims or end up charging hundreds of dollars if the customers "lie"? (I mean, have they ever heard of humidity in some areas?) Some compaines make it so difficult to make a claim that some of my customers don't even deal with it anymore. Meanwhile they are making about $3/month from millions of customers and not to mention the deductibles that are charged ( $35, $50, $100) for refurbished or remanufactured equipment that is "real nice" (sarcasm).

The Ebay way has saved my customers thousands of dollars over t...
(continues)
jerrydock

Jun 7, 2005, 10:35 AM
LOL. When I hear a care associate or anyone else start "reading the script"; I just hang up and call back to see if I can get a functioning human on the next call. Insurance file clerks are the worst at reading scripts, followed by financial services
bear-vzw-csr

May 31, 2005, 12:56 AM
I would agree with an earlier post that at least in principle, VZW should replace the phone. If she was given inaccurate information by a VZW rep, and this caused to wait and not contact Asurion until after the real warranty had expired, then VZW should eat this one.

But the customer needs to understand that the warranty is not indefinite. Once a month or so I get a customer who got a warranty exchange phone from VZW when the original phone was eight months old, and they think that this replacement phone now has a warranty which runs one year from the date the got the replacement phone.

Not.

In my market a VZW warranty exchange phone picks up the balance of the original warranty, or 90 days, whichever is greater.

We...
(continues)
jed_ed

May 31, 2005, 6:45 PM
Does anyone out there have any insurance experiences either with asurion or lockline either good or bad. just curious as to the stories floating around out there from customers and reps
jkrivjansky

May 31, 2005, 6:50 PM
I got tons of stories about/regarding lockline. But for certain reasons I can't relay most of them.
BoomBoxing

May 31, 2005, 8:31 PM
hmmm well I have one that is still ongoing. I filed a lockline request on my SE Z500a from cingular last friday and just got the phone today. Well the phone works all fine and dandy except the camera doesn't zoom in all the way (despite how big or small the pic is) which is no big deal, and the microphone does not work (which IS a big deal unless you use a phone just for text messaging!). So I call them to get a new one which is no problem, except that I now have to wait until friday to get a phone that actually works and now am going to be without a phone for a week.

We'll see how the next replacement goes - watch this one not even make calls.
PsYkE

Jun 2, 2005, 11:04 AM
Ish happens... I don't find that most cases produce those results.
PsYkE

Jun 2, 2005, 10:59 AM
We switched from Asurion to lock\line on April 1st. Grandfathered customers were to still have Asurion until June 7th. From April 1st until some time a few days ago, Asurion denied all claims from our company since we switched to lock\line. Lock\line denied the claims of those grandfathered customers because they weren't supposed to start w/ them until June 7th... so rightfully so. But Asurion is denying these customers & Lock\Line is denying them as well, so here these customers are paying for insurance, but no one will help them, & each insurance company bounces them back to the other...

You have no clue how many phones just I have given out for $35 to make the customer happy since Asurion didn't relay the correct info to their empl...
(continues)
bear-vzw-csr

May 31, 2005, 11:54 PM
Overall, my experience with Asurion has been a positive one. I've had a few horror stories. In extremely unusual cases, I or someone else at VZW has been able to intervene and resolve the issue.

For example: Indiana customer loses his VX-6100 phone while visiting his parents in Florida. Dad happens to have an hibernating dinosaur, like maybe a VX-10, sitting in a drawer somewhere, so they do an ESN change to get the guy back in service with a working phone.

Six days later, back in Indiana, he tries to file an insurance claim. First thing he finds out is that Asurion expects a police report from the police department in the jurisdiction where the phone was lost--which happens to be about 1500 miles from where the customer is now.

Onc...
(continues)
bear-vzw-csr

Jun 1, 2005, 12:11 AM
It is often the customer that makes unreasonable demands on Asurion, or has unrealistic expectations.

Many customers will not accept any explanation of why Asurion is replacing their equipment with a used phone.

The root of the problem is that many customers simply do not grasp the idea that this is really an insurance policy--not a replacement program or upgrade process.

Some customers expect to walk into a store and pick up another phone--because they have insurance. Other customers flip out over the $50 deductible. They start with the math: $4.99 a month for a year is about $60, plus the deductible... "for $110, I could be getting a brand new phone!"

Yeah, right. Maybe if you're eligible for an upgrade because you've had your ...
(continues)
Vatothe0

Jun 1, 2005, 3:21 AM
I got a call from a cust that had just moved two months ago. He just lost his phone hours before calling me. He now lives in Colorado or something where Asurion is the provider but moved from a Lock\Line area. I'm sure you know where this is going. Asurion wouldn't cover it because he wasn't on their service at the time of loss even though it was the same day. Great. In-house claim it is. Shame on EZ-Move for not checking that. It worked out ok for the customer though. He pays $50 for a brand new VX3200 and is rid of his dumpy old 3100 or whatever he had.

That's really the only time I've even dealt with them. The rep was nice about it though. I think they're nicer to people from carriers because they know we're stuck in a call center too....
(continues)
jerrydock

Jun 3, 2005, 3:35 PM
Asurion just sent one of my customers a moto 400. It was junk. The case had been spray painted...can you believe it?

Too keep the customer happy, I gave him a moto 505...NEW for 75.00 and told him to send the Asurion phone back for his $50.00...he cancelled his insurance. Gee wonder why?
jkrivjansky

Jun 3, 2005, 7:45 PM
Hmm.. a reconditioned phone.

The nerve!

Why I bet it's not even mentioned in the customers coverage certificate they may recieve a reconditioned phone. Oh wait. I bet it is. I bet the customer didn't read that. No no... can't be that. There's no WAY an insurance company would follow a legal document like a coverage certificate.

[/sarcasm]
jerrydock

Jun 4, 2005, 9:22 AM
The customer read it...I read it...the proplem is the reconditioned phones they often send DO NOT WORK PROPERLY.

Do you care? I didn't think you did. As long as the letter of the contract is done then to hell with whether the customer is served.

I just love people like you.
jkrivjansky

Jun 4, 2005, 11:40 AM
Yes I care. That's why if there is a problem with the phone we send them another. No questions aske within the first 14 days of them having it. If it's more than 14 days later and they have a problem it's covered under a warranty.

Oh.. wait.. the customer is taken care of?

Well... looks like I've proved you wrong.

I love people like you too. The one's so full of themselves they think they ar some sort of customer service gods. It's people like you who breed the problems. You exacerbate situations with your behaviours. Because of you there is no service it's more customers feel an entitlement. Customers think they deserve a brand new phone not some reconditioned phone. No matter that they've had it for 2 years and now it's b...
(continues)
jerrydock

Jun 4, 2005, 11:45 AM
Ahh, the rantings of a "company clone"
jkrivjansky

Jun 4, 2005, 12:06 PM
jerrydock said:
Ahh, the rantings of a "company clone"

Yes that would be a perfect description of the drivel you spew out.
PsYkE

Jun 4, 2005, 1:46 PM
$35 isn't bad if you ask me. Usually the shape my phone ends up anyway is worse than the one I get... I'm rough on phones... (Let us bow our heads & pray for my blackberry which is not covered & has been dropped 1/2 a dozen times already.)
PsYkE

Jun 4, 2005, 1:44 PM
If it doesn't work properly (& again, this is an issue w/ Asurion much more than Lock\Line & I'm sure other companies), the customer calls the insurance company back & says "Hey! The phone you sent me doesn't work!"

A good insurance company has these incidents few & far between.
PsYkE

Jun 4, 2005, 1:48 PM
& THIS is why Asurion is being sued. Your carrier needs a new insurance company... point blank.
Chevelle

Jun 3, 2005, 4:30 PM
I called the customer back a couple days ago to see if the flash had worked. It hadn't.
But she called VZW back and they did "eat it" as someone else had mentioned. 🙂 They replaced her phone with another VX6000 because their rep didn't do their job right. So she's all set, and because of the time I spent on the phone with VZW and Asurion, and calling back to check up on her, I have a very happy customer who promised to come back to my store for her upgrade and accessories.
Good day, IMO.
jerrydock

Jun 4, 2005, 9:23 AM
Way to go Chevelle. It is often forgotten that we are here to help customers.
PsYkE

Jun 4, 2005, 1:41 PM
That was me! *waves hand in the air*

Told y'all. 😛

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.