Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 21 replies

employment laws??

07redsx

Mar 15, 2010, 9:05 AM
Anyone know what the guidelines are for an employer to make you work (while sick and under doctors orders) in order to get your hourly bonus? Ex. the work week has 80 hrs and to get your $2hr bonus you must work 99% of hours. If you have a doctors letter stating you cant work for a day, can they really take away pay?? I thought that that would be an OSHA Violation. ๐Ÿคจ
easystreet

Mar 15, 2010, 9:08 AM
im sure that is perfectly legal
llama

Mar 15, 2010, 9:12 AM
yeah, sounds about right...why would they pay you for exactly what they want to prevent?
easystreet

Mar 15, 2010, 9:13 AM
plus the fact that it is a bonus makes it even easier to take away
sweetlucky

Mar 16, 2010, 9:27 AM
๐Ÿ˜ข
whatupitsdani

Mar 16, 2010, 10:38 AM
itd be the same as if you took a personal and paid day on a holiday that is time-and-a-half, and then expected to be paid time-and-a-half...supposing your store is open on those types of holidays.
iljaaf21

Mar 15, 2010, 6:38 PM
Employment laws vary from state to state. But in any case, they can not make you work if you have a doctors note, but they do not have to pay you. A doctor's note is an excusal, not a free meal ticket.
Ask The Shack

Mar 16, 2010, 7:50 AM
If you're wondering if something is legal or not, see a lawyer, not some internet forum about phones thats filled with a bunch of tools.

Asking for law advice on the internet is... Well, it's like asking for legal advice on the internet. It's retarded. Everyone thinks that they know WTF they're talking about, and they're all wrong.

Go see a lawyer.
dilligaff1

Mar 16, 2010, 2:50 PM
Hmmmm. A bunch of tools Ehh. And your on here too ๐Ÿ˜ฒ Any way to the OP, It depends on your State you live in. Ie:some states are "Right to work in State" Ex; Texas is a "Right to work in State" Meaning your at the employers mercy. Also can depend on your Company. Based on your OP, Int Most statesn unless your Union ๐Ÿคฃ You wont see a dime of what your looking for, unless you want to hire a lawyer ($$$$$$$) to get back ($). Again it depends on your State Laws. And yes to the Previous post, I do have some backround in Law as well as being a "Cell Phone Tool" ๐Ÿ˜Ž
easystreet

Mar 17, 2010, 9:06 AM
dont be a tool. he was simply asking to see if anyone knows. lawyers cost good money most likely more than the amount in question. I have asked for information here and got exactly what I needed. there is no need to be a jerk
07redsx

Mar 17, 2010, 9:19 AM
really all i meant was i showed up to work and they sent me home, saying I couldnt work caue I was sick. I did have quite the fever on sat. But they counted the hours they sent me home against me. I understand I cant be paid for hours not worked, but to have the hours the sent me home affect my bonus! I think its BOGUS, I showed up to work (did my job) and was sent home. That can't count against scheduled hours can it ๐Ÿ˜•
Hombre07

Mar 17, 2010, 9:51 AM
You're only guaranteed pay if you are salary. You could show up every Tuesday and them say we don't need you, go home, and they have the right to do so. Most employers don't because that would piss people off. But you're concerned about a bonus, essentially an incentive to work all your scheduled hours despite sickness, vacation, and any miscellaneous needs for time off. You got sick, so you can't work, so you don't get your bonus. It may suck but they're not doing anything wrong. It would defeat the purpose of the bonus to pay you anyway.
easystreet

Mar 17, 2010, 11:41 AM
I was replying to shack he was being a jerk because you asked a question about a legality on the internet instead of asking a lawyer
dilligaff1

Mar 17, 2010, 12:16 PM
You got a point if THEY sent you home. Still see may last post ang good luck in your fight.
07redsx

Mar 17, 2010, 12:49 PM
HE DOUBLE L YA!! ๐Ÿ˜ Finally Hard work and production benefits me! THANKS FOR ALL THE SUPPORT!
Hombre07

Mar 17, 2010, 1:13 PM
He came to work with "quite a fever" remember. I would have sent him home too.
dilligaff1

Mar 17, 2010, 4:43 PM
Congrats "Davey". You slew "Goliath" ๐Ÿคฃ
PhoneyName

Mar 16, 2010, 4:25 PM
I don't think you're legally entitled to a bonus, just your regular pay for hours you worked.
dilligaff1

Mar 17, 2010, 12:20 PM
Maybe not a bonus/incentive which I do think sucks as all CC's, but if you had any "sick PTO" banked, at least let you use it
07redsx

Mar 17, 2010, 12:56 PM
HE DOUBLE L YA!! Finally Hard work and production benefits me! THANKS FOR ALL THE SUPPORT!
dilligaff1

Mar 17, 2010, 4:45 PM
Congrats "Davey". You slew "Goliath" ๐Ÿคฃ
CallCenterBlues

Mar 26, 2010, 10:04 AM
by law your employer doesn't have to pay you any bonuses. They are incentives for you to do a good job, they can take those away at anytime for any reason.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.