Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 15 replies

Hiring

ecycled

Oct 24, 2009, 4:33 PM
We get like 20 ppl a week now asking if we are hiring. Its really annoying for two reasons: we aren't, and they are the least qualified ever!

I've seen some of these applications. Misspellings, no education, lack of job for like years, etc. Plus they will come in wearing clothes like your going to get fast food, not a professional who is applying for a job.

I would've expected with tough times we would be getting better applicants that understand what getting a job is all about, bringing resume's, references, and well groomed.

Did I miss the memo?
dualitycomplex

Oct 24, 2009, 4:37 PM
just put them in your 1/10 file.
mist668

Oct 24, 2009, 4:37 PM
Your getting more people that lost their job at taco bell coming and asking for a job.
GraGG

Oct 24, 2009, 5:43 PM
coplete lack of respect for your position
Menno

Oct 24, 2009, 6:03 PM
We had a guy who admitted to me that he was a former drug dealer (with a record) when he asked for an app.. Said it's what got him interested in sales.

Sad part is, he's the most qualified applicant we've had since we've opened (save for the ones we recruited)
impulse0624

Oct 27, 2009, 11:40 AM
yeah i worked for dobson cellular one until it got bought out by att at the call center..ive been trying to get a retail rep spot since july 08 and have been on unemployment since then..i dress shirt and tie..have a decent resume..im not sure if its because im lacking college or what?? tmobile interview i went from my 1st straight to my 2nd back in april but no call back. i called several times with no luck after i was told i had the job..maybe its me..but any suggestions or information about getting a job back in the industry would be helpful!! im located in youngstown ohio and would be willing to relocate..have tried numerous times applying for positions within spring, verizon, att, tmobile..which are the only carriers around in our area. ...
(continues)
meeshxsmith

Oct 27, 2009, 12:00 PM
How about a call center? My geography is crap but I went from working 2 strait years in retail to now working in a call center and I have to secretly admit I like it!

I would also say after the interview maybe like wait one week and go to the store again. It's harder to hide if you come in person.

Good luck!
justchillin

Oct 27, 2009, 12:10 PM
Honestly it probably isn't the lack of college. Are you connecting with whoever interviews you? That's pretty much key to landing the job. I've gotten every job I've ever interviewed for because I try to find something we have in common and use that get comfortable with them.
impulse0624

Oct 27, 2009, 2:03 PM
yeah the interviews are not going bad..i cant quite figure out exactly what it is lol. call center would be doable..i just think the industry is promising for the most part and theres good money in it and its enjoyable. Ive tried to get hired by att (who bought out dobson) with zero luck. bahh
matonater

Oct 27, 2009, 6:34 PM
try raising your skirt length a few inches
meeshxsmith

Oct 27, 2009, 6:37 PM
You have to have an in to work with ATT. This is what I have heard. I have been wanting to work there for a long time.
lilyofthenorth

Oct 27, 2009, 4:43 PM
what's on ur facebook or myspace? They check them a lot now.
meeshxsmith

Oct 27, 2009, 6:39 PM
That's true.

We had to agree at my old job not to bash our company on our facebook or myspace job. Also we could not give away 'industry secrets' through those medium.

I kept thinking "Do they have people who look at employees myspace and facebook pages all day? Can I get that job?"
lilyofthenorth

Oct 27, 2009, 9:25 PM
LOL No, it's when they are checking their own myspace and facebook haha.
justchillin

Oct 27, 2009, 12:06 PM
It all just gets down to a lack of common sense. It baffles me that someone can just roll out of bed, probably not shower or brush their teeth and say "yep, I look good. Pretty sure I will land a job"
rainbow_metals

Oct 27, 2009, 7:14 PM
we are hiring as a vendor site in oregon if you are serious about moving

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.