Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 8 replies

Do you get this?

meeshxsmith

Oct 16, 2009, 7:01 PM
I have an accent. Sometimes it is hard for people to understand what I am saying. Wolking in a call center it is even harder. Customels ask me "Are you American?" Sometimes they like to quiz me like "What state are you in? In what city?" I got this job because I leally don't want them to know, so I do have canned responses. I tell them the Florida Panhandle.

People all my life have asked me "Where are you from?" and I politely answer them. But now it is more like

"Where are you FROM? INDIA?"

😳
ikissgirls

Oct 17, 2009, 10:34 AM
awe.. sad panda. :-( Sorry it's frustrating for you.

In a lot of places in the US, people are not exposed to diversity and are used to hearing people talk only 1 certain way. When they hear something different, they aren't able to decipher it. :/ Sad, but true.

If it gets to be too irritating, you could always try a few sessions of an accent reduction course.

*hugs* sending you good, positive vibes.
MrGoofball

Oct 17, 2009, 10:46 AM
No the population is used to companies sending customer service jobs overseas and getting reps with wierd accents that they don't understand so if they don't understand you they assume you're in india.
mrpmpfan

Oct 17, 2009, 11:59 AM
I would use my accent to my advantage, and really lay it on thick. Maybe I won't have to help them if they are racists who hate help from foreigners.
meeshxsmith

Oct 18, 2009, 11:48 AM
If I get upset sometimes it gets worse. The same thing happens when my husband goes home to Mississippi. The well educated articulate man sudenly becomes a red neck.

But it is frustrating beacuse some American's have forgotten that the majority of us are immagrants within the last few hundereds of years.
Lanae

Oct 18, 2009, 1:33 PM
Well if it helps at all, I LOVE Accents from All cultures!

There's just something about accents no matter where the person is from that really fascinates me. 🙂
meeshxsmith

Oct 18, 2009, 2:16 PM
Ah I feel special 🙂
mrpmpfan

Oct 20, 2009, 5:16 AM
I love accents of all cultures too, because they make our Americanized english sound boring and plain in comparison.
ZadenWillowfyre

Oct 23, 2009, 12:41 PM
Ugh intolerance and ignorance in some people really irks me. I personally really like accents

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.