Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 31 replies

Have customers completly jaded anyone else?

dualitycomplex

Aug 26, 2009, 7:21 PM
and to hell with my spelling.

Has anyone else noticed that after working so many years in this industry ( or any good length of time ) that they care less and less about people, what bothers them and so on, I for one have become so jaded by people that the second anyone starts speaking to me i instantly snap into a mode of thought where i start to predict what is going to be said next what expectations this person has of me, what they hope to weasel out by the end of their social interaction to the point I cant deal with people outside of my store viewing everyone as just another mouth breathing customer. Well atleast theres beer right.
khrispii

Aug 26, 2009, 7:34 PM
When I first started at this call center, I used to feel good when I came to work. Like I really wanted to help people. When I was able to help someone, I would share my stories with my co-workers and continue carrying that happy feeling all day long.

2 years later, it's a struggle to come in to work. I assume everyone is lying to me and I tell everyone no. No matter what they want. I just don't care any more. This job has seriously jaded me. Other people I work with feel the same way. It's just the nature of the job, I guess.
mom26

Aug 26, 2009, 9:27 PM
It does that to all of us I strongly believe, because I catch myself thinking the same thing after working here for 2 years. Then I also have days where I have faith in everybody and give them a few bonus minutes...
SneakyRebelNinja

Aug 27, 2009, 1:45 PM
I've been working indirect for a little less than a year now. I have a really hard time feeling sympathy for anyone anymore. And not just customers, people in general.
lilyofthenorth

Aug 29, 2009, 9:38 AM
I hear ya. I have had a customer come in, lie to my supervisor saying I was rude and blah blah blah to get her way, gotten a write up over it only to have the customer apologize later "for causing me any problems". It didn't help that my supervisor never checked with the co-worker I was working with to verify IF the customer was telling the truth....The customer wasn't.

So, I am jaded with my customers as well as my co-workers and supervisors. My only faith is that I will be thrown under the bus in every situation. If my sup gets a complaint (which there are many)....the customer is lying.
leneesco33

Aug 29, 2009, 10:07 AM
i know that i tend to people one of those people that lie to get my way but thats the thing i never mentioned any names cause i never want anyone to get in trouble hahaha im so smart no but i only do that once in a blue moon im usually a nice person and everyone wants to help me ...... not really i just go to store on a week day during work hour cause i know the store are empty lol 🤣
chapster

Aug 29, 2009, 10:28 AM
Do you remember that class in Jr. High with the old lady in the front of the class writing strange symbols on the chalk board? C'mon, You remember. They looked like "." and "," and the ever classic "!" I know she wasn't as attractive as the sex ed teacher, but she did have some good wisdom to share. Wisdom that might help you out later in life... Like now. 😁
lilyofthenorth

Aug 29, 2009, 10:37 AM
Yeah well you don't do anyone any favors even by not mentioning names. Remind me to not wait on you!!!
leneesco33

Aug 29, 2009, 10:44 AM
ok lol i only do that sometime not all the time
WorldSoCold

Aug 31, 2009, 3:03 PM
same thing seems to happen to me too sometimes. it is a pain in the a$$, but that just pushes me to do better ...so that way i know my manager is lying to me.

the better my relationships are with my customers, the less of a chance i have to hearing my manager (or anyone else for that matter) tell me that i'm not good with my customers or that i had customers call in and complain about me.

saves my a$$ and makes my customers happier. but i do still find myself prejudging situations with customers...i'm working on fixing that though. (its hard!)
rigoni

Aug 29, 2009, 10:40 AM
i gave up so long ago, i hate to hear the people that call lie and make excuses wh ythere life sucks paying your bill might help these people
jeffatt

Aug 27, 2009, 1:31 PM
I literally lol'ed at this.

It's true, though. It's almost like everyone that I meet now, I start out hating them until they give me reason NOT to hate them. Nobody gets the benefit of the doubt anymore.
bigyosky123

Aug 29, 2009, 11:27 AM
EXACTLY!!!!
IrishCarBomb

Aug 29, 2009, 9:52 AM
I know what you mean. When I first started out a year and a half ago, I was ready to go to bat for every customer issue.

Now, I am the pitcher, and I am throwing high inside heat, and bought off the umpire so they are all strikes.

I do pride myself on my CS skills, and will do what I can to help you. I will take a couple extra minutes to help get all those cool programs synced up on your phone, or show you how to use Opera Mini, etc. But when it comes to the jack-a$$ customers I have no patiences anymore, and I call BS a lot more often.

You have $300 in overages because you didn't take my advice? Pay it, and switch over. Hell, I even note the account at time of activation if they don't take my advice on which plan to get. I do...
(continues)
ecycled

Aug 29, 2009, 10:10 AM
not outside of work I just do everything that I can not to talk about cell phones. Otherwise social interactions turn into mouth breathing customers. I don't even try to help my family anymore.

At work, yes. I am against them until given a reason not to be. They don't know that but it helps me to say No. I do know that there is a wall there but whatcha gonna do. It has taught me to verify everything before givin solutions. Its the same as buyer beware, only more like 'Seller Beware'.

my 2 rules:
1) the first customer of the day is the worst customer of the day
2) the customer is never, ever, ever, ever, right.

I will say if they bought from me I will back them 100% but if they got it somewhere's else then obviously that is the pla...
(continues)
IrishCarBomb

Aug 29, 2009, 10:22 AM
Whenever I get that damn line "the customer is always right" I always respond, "Only when they are right." Then I point to the red water indicator on their phone again, and explain to them how to read a price card that clearly says, Retail: XXX, New Contract: X.XX

Yeah, you don't get the New Contract price a second time just because you set up 2 months ago, so are a new contract. You only get that at time of activation. AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
ecycled

Aug 29, 2009, 10:30 AM
absolutely.

I pissed off an old guy one time cuz I couldn't (not wouldn't, I do try and help when I can) help becasue he dropped his phone in water. So he says to me "You know what I've learned in 30 years of business you little smart ass", I smile, "the customer is always right". I ask him what he does, he said retired roofer. I asked him if their attic is full of water then yes that is his fault, but if they walked up there and dumped a bucket of water is that still his fault?

He threw the phone across the parking lot. No idea what happened after that but he hasn't been back.
IrishCarBomb

Aug 29, 2009, 10:45 AM
Nice! I pull out the analogy card all the time. Can you return a 2 year old water damaged TV, with major physical damage, to Wal Mart? The company that has about the most relaxed return policy in history, NO!
chapster

Aug 29, 2009, 10:59 AM
Then, there is the ever popular... "But you sold it to me that way." and "All I did was pull it out of my pocket and it was like that." And who can forget "It was just sweat!"

Jeez. I hate lying liars who lie.
IrishCarBomb

Aug 29, 2009, 11:06 AM
You forgot, "Thats funny, because it has never been around water".

Loaner phones are great as well. They bring them back 6 months after it was checked out to get their deposit back, then try and claim they were never told they had 30 days. We pull out the loaner phone agreement they signed with the 30 day policy on it in bold block lettering.
chapster

Aug 29, 2009, 11:47 AM
We don't even try with the 30 day return policy on loaner phones anymore. Pretty much if we have a good used phone that was turned in, we will give it out. If it doesn't come back in then the next customer is out of luck and we just tell them that we don't have one. Some of them get mad but, i mean really. What can we do?
leneesco33

Aug 29, 2009, 11:55 AM
i love it when they say no one told me that and you pull out the contract and show them where it was states and where they signed in the back of my head im saying why did you sign something that you did not read you idiot
rigoni

Aug 29, 2009, 11:58 AM
Its just lazyness on the customers part
jeffatt

Aug 29, 2009, 1:10 PM
ecycled said:
not outside of work I just do everything that I can not to talk about cell phones. Otherwise social interactions turn into mouth breathing customers. I don't even try to help my family anymore.

god that's so true! You want to be nice, but it's like you just want to punch them in the face.

Although once it did work in my favor. I was talking to (hitting on) a girl and I told her what I did so she started telling me about something on her phone, I think something about texting. So I took her phone, fixed some settings and then instinctively I was like "what's your cell number?" so I could test it out. She laughed and said something about it coming out so easily and it being a good way to get...
(continues)
ecycled

Aug 29, 2009, 3:26 PM
yup and the disclaimer is crazy cuz you have to say it every time. I can go through fine print now like you wouldn't believe. Lord help any car people I ever talk to. I think its a skill I've developed, along with when I say something I word it so I am never wrong.

Doctors get a God-complex where they feel like they can do anything (so I'm told). Cell Sales/service/techs should get something named after us like that. I propose the tech term.... wireless guru.

All in favor say "arrr"
mist668

Aug 29, 2009, 3:47 PM
arr
chapster

Aug 31, 2009, 4:39 PM
You know I'm in favor! Arrr
cingcing

Aug 31, 2009, 3:42 PM
Yeah, it's safe to say I've lost all faith in humanity. I swear when I'm at work I can read minds (employees and customers) and predict the future.

I catch myself (for lack of a better term) just switching off. All of my answers are canned, and well reahersed enough that I don't even have to think about it anymore. I actually thank people when they come to me with a problem I haven't seen before.

Damn this recession...
cingcing

Aug 31, 2009, 3:43 PM
🤭
ecycled

Aug 31, 2009, 5:00 PM
i know what you mean about thanking ppl for coming up with new ones that I have to learn something for. *phew* I always felt wierd for that, I think we like pushing our boundaries
IrishCarBomb

Aug 31, 2009, 5:05 PM
I am the same... it gets really annoying to have the same BS issue day in and day out. I look forward to new phones for no real reason beyond having to find out how to fix their issues and quirks.

My favorite is when it gets switched to line 2 because people are too dumb to realize they shouldn't mess around with settings like that.
elMamBo

Sep 14, 2009, 7:55 AM
i have noticed i have become IMMUNE to other ppls problems

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.