Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 44 replies

Well with the economy the way it is.. I was hoping you would have some better deals...

Menno

Jun 13, 2009, 3:21 PM
Seriously, how do people think this one will work?

companies are closing left and right, consumers are declaring bankruptcy to avoid paying their bills, and people think this will suddenly make cellphone carriers give away every phone for free and cut the cost of service?

If anything credit checks will become more strict (yes mam, declaring bankruptcy does hurt your credit rating.) and companies won't be too keen on subsidizing the costs of a phone even more when the chances of people actually paying is lower.
GraGG

Jun 13, 2009, 3:24 PM
i tell them yes it is, thats why we need your money to stay in buisiness
CAS8586

Jun 13, 2009, 6:49 PM
By lowering the phones prices will only benefit us employee's, not the company itself. You have to look at the companies perspective. If the costs on phones gets lower on the next batch of phones you purchase, then YES, you'll see the phone prices drop. But for now, I dont think so! but sh!t that'll be nice if the companies actually cared for the employee's for once! You just gotta upsale your customers and work your way down, and tell them.."Look..you want this blackberry storm for free??? shoot, I want to win the lottery to!"
GraGG

Jun 13, 2009, 6:53 PM
if they cared about the customers too
captainplooky

Jun 16, 2009, 5:49 AM
Menno said:
...people think this will suddenly make cellphone carriers give away every phone for free and cut the cost of service?...

Perhaps carriers could learn a lesson from the hard hit car dealerships (an example often used by reps for various reasons) and begin charging more reasonable rates, but more importantly stop charging customers in the same areas different rates for the same services.

Text messaging costs being an example of unreasonable rates.

Wikipedia
...it has been revealed that due to the nature of system used by carriers to send text messages between phones, texting does not cost the carriers any money at all.[66] This is because SMS messages are designed to fi
(continues)
Menno

Jun 16, 2009, 8:39 AM
Sorry, but I'm not a car dealer. I can do nothing to edit the rates, fees, or other charges associated with a cell phone plan. The ONLY things I have control over are the price of the phone and any accessories they may purchase.

Here's the thing though, customers are increasingly not purchasing any accessories, and refusing the buy a phone unless it is free. You can whine about the "high markup" of phones all you want, but those phones have a cost associated with them, a cost I have to make up for with the plan + the cost I sell the phone for. (if the phones are marked up, they are done so WELL before they get to my store)

If a customer is getting a high end plan, this is no issue because I can easily make up the cost of the phone t...
(continues)
Burger Time

Jun 16, 2009, 9:14 AM
Yeah, what he said! LOL. Bravo, Menno!
captainplooky

Jun 16, 2009, 10:41 AM
Menno said:
The ONLY things I have control over are the price of the phone and any accessories they may purchase.

(if the phones are marked up, they are done so WELL before they get to my store)

Which is it? On the one hand you have control over the price of the phone, but on the other they are marked up WELL before they get to you? Contradict yourself much?

Menno said:
Here's the thing though, customers are increasingly not purchasing any accessories, and refusing the buy a phone unless it is free.

Heaven forbid customers only buy what they need. The wireless industry refuses so adamantly to standardize their connectivity interfaces so that customers have...
(continues)
NEPats726420

Jun 16, 2009, 11:10 AM
you are a perfect example of a customer no one wants to deal with!!
sunshinegirl

Jun 16, 2009, 11:13 AM
exactly!! Then don't buy a damn cellphone. And def don't text.
NEPats726420

Jun 16, 2009, 11:14 AM
😁 thank you
sunshinegirl

Jun 16, 2009, 11:16 AM
You are quite welcome. 😉
captainplooky

Jun 16, 2009, 11:20 AM
Wow - way to refute my post. You sure showed me.

Maybe I should have dumbed it down with some nascar references for you?

🤣
sunshinegirl

Jun 16, 2009, 11:26 AM
So, now this is about "showing" each other? No, simply put, companies charge these fees so they can build better and faster service. I have a one karat engagement ring that my fiance paid $2000.00 for. Do you have any idea the mark up on jewelry? 300%. Go bitch about that to Kay's and Zales. My lord. 🙄
captainplooky

Jun 16, 2009, 11:37 AM
I tend to be more concerned with fair and reasonable access to communication mediums, as opposed to concerning myself with those who choose to peddle their money away on stones that have no value were it not for the fact they are hoarded and used/priced solely to inspire invidious consumption.

To each their own I suppose.
Burger Time

Jun 16, 2009, 12:19 PM
captainplooky said:
I tend to be more concerned with fair and reasonable access to communication mediums, as opposed to concerning myself with those who choose to peddle their money away on stones that have no value were it not for the fact they are hoarded and used/priced solely to inspire invidious consumption.

To each their own I suppose.

You should write a book called "Plookynomics: The way business should be, by Captain Plooky"

I'll be the first in line to buy it, provided you don't mark it up with fees and other surcharges to recover your costs related to bowling and beer drinking... 🤣
sunshinegirl

Jun 16, 2009, 12:22 PM
You might want to wipe off your nose, there's a whole lot of brown on it. 🤣
Burger Time

Jun 16, 2009, 1:13 PM
sunshinegirl said:
You might want to wipe off your nose, there's a whole lot of brown on it. 🤣

Shouldn't you be dealing an irate customer trying to get a free Blackberry phone out of you because they have been a customer of yours for over 20 years?!
sunshinegirl

Jun 16, 2009, 2:13 PM
yep, I gave them the Pearl. 😉
Burger Time

Jun 16, 2009, 2:34 PM
sunshinegirl said:
yep, I gave them the Pearl. 😉

Ha ha haaaa! Dropped calls plus sh*tty battery life...the PERFECT revenge, lol!
Menno

Jun 16, 2009, 1:39 PM
but those are costs inherent in the system..

nevermind that if you are buying a book, plookey only assumes you should be paying for the paper and the ink... those things like factories, factory workers, royalties, advertising, the cost of the lumber to make the paper, etc.. are all extra fees and taxes the printing companies tack onto to the cost of the book just to gouge you! Heck, the writer shouldn't even get a check because that's unfair he is compensated for writing something he would write anyway... right?
Burger Time

Jun 16, 2009, 2:35 PM
Menno said:
but those are costs inherent in the system..

nevermind that if you are buying a book, plookey only assumes you should be paying for the paper and the ink... those things like factories, factory workers, royalties, advertising, the cost of the lumber to make the paper, etc.. are all extra fees and taxes the printing companies tack onto to the cost of the book just to gouge you! Heck, the writer shouldn't even get a check because that's unfair he is compensated for writing something he would write anyway... right?

That pretty much sums up Plookynomics...lol
captainplooky

Jun 16, 2009, 8:01 PM
What a silly straw man argument.

Once again, that's the best you can do?
Menno

Jun 17, 2009, 3:08 PM
Sarcasm man frowns at you
NEPats726420

Jun 16, 2009, 11:28 AM
maybe that would help............but probably not
Webb

Jun 24, 2009, 4:08 PM
You know, I'm going to beg to differ, profoundly. As an ex-CSR, I would've been thrilled to deal with Plooky. He might be difficult (particularly in the face of the industry's own widespread intellectual dishonesty), but he's not STUPID. He IS well-informed. I could deal with him. I'd just have to be sharp enough to operate outside the constraints of some of the BS that we were seriously told to say to customers including ZOMG TEXT MESSAGING IS EXPENSIVE AND WE NEED TO RAISE OUR RATES!
Burger Time

Jun 16, 2009, 12:17 PM
Another classic Captain Plooky response! (He got you good, Menno!!!)

BRAVO PLOOKY!
Menno

Jun 16, 2009, 12:23 PM
Let be break something down for you: I can do NOTHING to control the cost of the retail price of a phone. This is set before I buy it. Now, when you get a phone and it rings up at 79.99 WITH a two year contract, I have a little wiggle room when it comes to prices.

I can change the price from there, but every dollar I drop it in price is money from my pocket, so there has to be a reason for me to drop it.

Oh, and the industry IS standardizing itmes. Most new phones shipping use the SAME microUSB charger, use the same form of memory, and can transfer information readily between devices. I'm glad to see you spent time reading how things are instead of just what you think they are. 🙄

As for your nights and weekends.. plea...
(continues)
Burger Time

Jun 16, 2009, 12:31 PM
Menno said:
I also wish that they would get rid of the "in calling" and "nights and weekends" and just sell voice and data in batches, that way you know exactly how much you are paying per minute/text but I don't run the industry to I abide by their rules.

*GULP* but I like my unlimited nights and weekends and mobile-to-mobile...!!! 😳
Menno

Jun 16, 2009, 1:34 PM
I do too, but I'm tired of people complaining about "but I am paying x per minute with you when I can get x per minute with this other carrier" (forgetting coverage, "free" features, etc.)
Burger Time

Jun 16, 2009, 2:03 PM
Menno said:
I do too, but I'm tired of people complaining about "but I am paying x per minute with you when I can get x per minute with this other carrier" (forgetting coverage, "free" features, etc.)

People are going to belly ache regardless. Complaining is very important in our society because it caters to our fragile egos.
texaswireless

Jun 18, 2009, 9:51 PM
Dude, you are so fighting a losing battle with this idiot. He is always right.

You are better off saving your energy for something worth while, like making popcorn or something.
Burger Time

Jun 16, 2009, 12:23 PM
Cellular carriers charge more for smartphone data packages than they do for regular data packages. If I had a regular phone, I could pay 30 bucks and get unlimited data and messaging, but NO, because I have a Blackberry, I have to pay 30 bucks just for unlimited Blackberry data. Messaging costs extra.

Bull, I say, bull!
NEPats726420

Jun 16, 2009, 2:19 PM
thats because you're paying blackberry for access to their servers
Burger Time

Jun 16, 2009, 2:33 PM
NEPats726420 said:
thats because you're paying blackberry for access to their servers

Oh, ok. Makes sense. After my contract is up, Buh-buy Blackberry!
NEPats726420

Jun 16, 2009, 3:54 PM
i could never part ways with my blackberry 😎
Cellinovation

Jun 16, 2009, 4:50 PM
Not to mention that bandwidth does cost carriers a good amount of money. The average smart phone user will use way more data in a month than the user of a normal phone. Therefore they should pay a higher data rate. Just like a voice user that uses more minutes on their plan.
captainplooky

Jun 16, 2009, 8:06 PM
I guess it all depends on what your definition of "unlimited" is?
Menno

Jun 17, 2009, 4:43 PM
Smartphones offer push email, the ability to connect to servers behind firewalls, and offer countless third party apps that non-smartphones do not offer.

The internet experience you get with a smartphone is very different from a normal device.

Thus there is "unlimited data" (dumbphones) and "unlimited Email and Web" (smartphones.
MrGoofball

Jun 16, 2009, 5:19 PM
/sigh for the newer people to shoptalk Plooky = Herpes. Just when you think you have gotten rid of him for good he comes back with a vengeance.
Seriously Plooky have you not learned by now to not stick your nose in here? We don't care about your opinion and really don't want to deal with you and your tinfoil hat spouting off conspiracy theories in here. You have mentioned in the past you don't work in the wireless industry so Get the heck out of this forum. It's called shop talk it's for people in the industry to discuss matters. You can read right? You do understand english right? You do comprehend this forum doesn't apply to you right? So go terrorize a village in Texas and leave us alone.
captainplooky

Jun 16, 2009, 8:05 PM
Need a beer for those tears?
sunshinegirl

Jun 18, 2009, 1:59 PM
Yes, I'll take 2.
texaswireless

Jun 18, 2009, 9:56 PM
Pooky Bear won't set foot anywhere he would actually have to debate someone in person. He must hide behind a computer sipping his organic tea soaked in bat urine for additional psychotropic potency. Were he to actually debate someone in person or try the condescending crap he pulls in person he would surely have been taught a lesson in manners and common sense by now...

Most likely by a Texas Cowboy.
WZ_agent

Jun 16, 2009, 12:52 PM
yes...because those dealers are doing so well now 🙄
captainplooky

Jun 16, 2009, 8:04 PM
WZ_agent said:
yes...because those dealers are doing so well now 🙄

My point exactly...

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.