Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 12 replies

Insurance Besides Asurion

kentbrockman

May 28, 2009, 10:54 AM
I am not 100% sure on some of the statements that I am about to make so if I am wrong someone please correct me.

So Asurion is tha main insurance for alot of the big 4. Recently (at least for VZW) their coverage rates and device qualifications changed. Good for some but overpriced for others.

Anyways at my locations we have been retailing an insurance by the name of protectcell. Like the asurion it has levels of phones (standard, Camera, PDA). The difference is in the cost

1. You pay for service up front
2. The cost varies based on 1 or two year coverage plans.

Anyways so far I have been very successful in selling this as it is cheaper pretty much across the board in comparison to Asurion. Also a portion of the sale counts to...
(continues)
a_elyse

May 28, 2009, 11:21 AM
we sell it @ my store
Menno

May 28, 2009, 11:28 AM
Our company has it's own plans (based on the retail cost of the phone).

In almost every case it ends up being cheaper, but like yours, it requires that the customer pay for it up front and most of them are already ticked they have to pay anything in a cellphone store for being such a "loyal" customer. But it's starting to get more popular as people see the value.
Burger Time

May 31, 2009, 3:00 PM
Menno said:
Our company has it's own plans (based on the retail cost of the phone).

In almost every case it ends up being cheaper, but like yours, it requires that the customer pay for it up front and most of them are already ticked they have to pay anything in a cellphone store for being such a "loyal" customer. But it's starting to get more popular as people see the value.

I have insurance on my Blackberry Curve. to me, it's worth the 5 bucks a month because if something goes wrong, I only have to pay the 50 dollar co-pay and I get a replacement handset. not too shabby.
GraGG

May 31, 2009, 4:13 PM
thats asurion for you
Menno

Jun 1, 2009, 8:23 AM
Make sure you check your terms. Asurion is in the process of changing them. On BB now, it is $8 a month and then a $89 deductable. Still worth it if you lose the phone, but it is going up a bit.

If anyone has an advanced device and they don't protect it in some way, they are asking for trouble (unless they keep it in a locked box)
Sliznut

May 28, 2009, 10:06 PM
The fact that you said "tha" automatically makes me not talk to you. e-gangsta. 😎

just playing with ya. I'm totally for ebonics on the web.

The best insurance policy is to get ahold of Vinny in NJ. He is down with breaking kneecaps if Asurion doesn't give you free stuff when you drop your phone in the pool.
Sliznut

May 28, 2009, 10:06 PM
I thought I would just add that I didn't even read the full post and am being a complete Canadian style arse. 😁
Pooch

May 30, 2009, 2:27 PM
I've heard rumors that my company is toying with the idea of offering protectcell. But for now, we have our own protection plan of sorts. And the whole deal is very comparable to protectcell, so I'm not even sure why they're bothering to think about it.

Just one more thing for us to try and cram into our brain.
GraGG

May 30, 2009, 2:35 PM
what ever happened to lockline?
Menno

May 30, 2009, 2:42 PM
TEC lockline is through asurion now.. if it used to be something different it either went out of business or it got absorbed by Asurion.
Krantros

Jun 1, 2009, 7:51 PM
We used to have one called ACE. It was a small one time fee, one time use insurance for a new phone that could be picked up in store. It was a pretty decent alternative to Asurion, and ended up being alot cheaper. We recently had to replace it with protect cell because ACE started REQUIRING Sworn proofs of loss, police reports, and HAVING THE CUSTOMER SEND THE BROKEN PHONE TO KENTUCKY for almost every single claim. It got to the point where our company just said pi$$ off and got Protect Cell.

So far, we've had alot of luck w/ protect cell. It's not quite as good of a deal for the customer as ACE was in some cases, but the customer service w/ them is so good it doesn't matter. I have had nothing but good experiences with Protect cell so fa...
(continues)
sckoisks17

Jun 5, 2009, 5:56 PM
My store's parent company (RadioShack) sells their own protection plan for either $60 or $125. It's harder to sell than Asurion, though, in my opinion, because our coverage doesn't include theft/loss and physical/moisture, only what the manufacturer covers plus battery and normal wear and tear.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.