Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

Body Language

genii

Apr 16, 2009, 9:22 PM
I noticed as I was helping a customer that I was portraying some defensive body language, starting with folded arms and then crossed wrists behind my back. Just curious if anyone has a good suggestion on body language when dealing with customers. I usually like to keep my hands in front of me, bent at the elbow with a demo.

This is specifically in regards to when a customer is "just looking" and no other individual is the store or needs help, I always feel awkward but I don't want to neglect them either.
Decept.ICON

Apr 17, 2009, 8:44 AM
using my hands while I'm talking. Hand gestures and movements transfer enthusiasm...
lowtechlou

Apr 17, 2009, 10:21 AM
ANKLES behind the head does not work well, but an elbow in the ear or thumb in ass does...

😈
IrishCarBomb

Apr 17, 2009, 11:09 AM
I am in a Kiosk, so I will lean against the counter a little bit, maybe sit down, and so forth. I never really have any issues with body language, I am a pretty outgoing and open person, and am rather welcoming to pretty much anything.

I guess, thinking about it, I automatically take a relaxed and cool body language like the person was a friend. I watch my words and there professionalism more than my body language. My end goal is to make the person feel comfortable and welcome.

About the only time I get defensive at all is with an upset customer... I tend to take an offensive defensive stance then(in other words I give them options, and I let them know exactly what way they are mistaken, yet am polite about it... usually meaning I s...
(continues)
ac4321

Apr 18, 2009, 10:43 PM
A smile or at least a not sad/tired expression is pretty good to try.

For hands, I try to keep them about waist level. I'll keep them in front of me, in a way that would be natural to extend to shake their hand if appropriate.

I try to make a bit of eye contact at first and see how much eye contact they prefer. Some customers like to maintain it, off and on. Some customers I make eye contact at first and important moments to affirm that I'm paying attention, but then look towards the phones or computer or whatever so as to not intimidate them.

Vocal tone can be important as well. Sounding monotone, agitated, sleepy, etc aren't so good.

Some of the training videos companies do are pretty good demonstrations of it. I try to d...
(continues)

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.