Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 20 replies

A question for the ladies...

heartcoach

Feb 3, 2009, 12:33 PM
Does anyone else have a problem with people thinking you don't know what you're talking about because you're a girl?

A guy just came in whining about how he wanted to upgrade but he didn't want to pay for it. He's a month away from eligibility and he wants us to price match Best Buy's price on the rumor plus waive his upgrade fees.
I greeted him and started to show him the phone. He cut me off and started asking my male coworker questions. My coworker is now doing the upgrade and that's really annoying to me.

Plus, these people that come in whining about how awful our customer service is because we won't give them everything for free? That REALLY gets on my nerves.
teddybearmafia

Feb 3, 2009, 12:54 PM
That happened to me all the time at bestbuy. Only girl in the PC dept.It was especially annoying when i had a simple question or just to get clarification on something and Id ask one of the guys and they would just take my customer away đŸ‘ŋ .Or to get yelled at for not contacting customers but, having already done so, they just keep saying 'no' until a male contacts them.
a Girl

Feb 3, 2009, 1:02 PM
call in and then request to speak to someone male. I ended up telling him that I would be the one helping him or he was welcome to go back into queue and wait another 12 minutes to speak to someone who may or may not be male. Easier for me, you're in a store with a guy right next to though...sorry. 😉
heartcoach

Feb 3, 2009, 2:24 PM
I just wondered if anyone else had that issue. I have trouble getting anyone to take me seriously anyway because I look so young. I'm 27 but I've had people ask if I'm 16!
In a way it's flattering but it does get annoying.
a Girl

Feb 3, 2009, 2:28 PM
Wish I had that problem! I'm 22 and everyone thinks I'm older (I didn't start looking this way until entering the wireless industry so I blame CUSTOMERS! 😈 )
heartcoach

Feb 3, 2009, 2:31 PM
I do have some gray hair that I believe is a direct result of working in this industry!
Lucky for me it's pretty well hidden.
I'm also getting wrinkles between my eyebrows. Those are probably from frowning at stupid people all day...
🙄
a Girl

Feb 3, 2009, 2:36 PM
đŸ¤Ŗ
sweetcherrygurl

Feb 4, 2009, 1:45 PM
heartcoach said:
I just wondered if anyone else had that issue.

yeah i worked internet tech support for two years and got a few people like that.

one asked me all snottily, "you sure you know what you're talking about?"

and another blew me off when i told him how to fix the problem, insisted it wouldnt work, ASKED TO SPEAK TO A GUY, i finally passed him to my guy friend who was working with me, and the guy friend literally said the same thing i did word for word. it worked, the customer said so, and my male coworked asked him, "you DO realize that she said the exact same thing right? you just wasted our time and your own. next time you need help, either be civil or call somewhere else. good day."
(continues)
heartcoach

Feb 4, 2009, 4:38 PM
Your coworker is awesome! 😁
Sigma1570

Feb 3, 2009, 2:19 PM
😉
kapwww

Feb 3, 2009, 6:59 PM
Thought you said their upgrade was a month away. How is your co-worker making it happen then? Or did you mean he has been eligible for a month now?
heartcoach

Feb 3, 2009, 7:08 PM
He'd be eligible March 1st. My coworker did the upgrade as though he was getting his 75.00 off and then discounted the price the rest of the way. He also credited the 18.00 fee.
Some of the people in my store will do just about whatever a customer asks because they're afraid of the BIG BAD CSAT. That just screws the rest of us that try to actually follow the policies and procedures...Ugh.
Menno

Feb 3, 2009, 8:03 PM
People are stupid.

Ironically I've seen this happen more often with female customers than male customers.
heartcoach

Feb 4, 2009, 11:31 AM
I've noticed that, too...
Sometimes I've had female customers actually call a male friend/relative while I'm talking to them.
I guess my plumbing makes me stupid or something? Sheesh...
Menno

Feb 4, 2009, 11:33 AM
Since it's a technical issues we obviously as males have the upper hand right?

🙄

As I said... people are stupid.
burntbridges

Feb 4, 2009, 1:46 PM
i know the feeling.. like if there's a male co-worker (who I know more than anyway) they'll ask me a question.. i'll answer.. they'll look at the male for confirmation.. this has been happening for hell.. the past 4 or 5 years iv'e been in wireless.. but i have a male friend who works for SAP doing IT consulting and the females there are have the same issue.. so i think it's probably anything technology related tbh. ☚ī¸
heartcoach

Feb 4, 2009, 4:40 PM
It's even worse with cars...I used to work on a car lot and people would flat out refuse to work with me. One guy insisted that I must be the secretary and asked me to "run along and get a salesman".
🙄
sweetcherrygurl

Feb 5, 2009, 7:02 PM
burntbridges said:
i know the feeling.. like if there's a male co-worker (who I know more than anyway) they'll ask me a question.. i'll answer.. they'll look at the male for confirmation.. this has been happening for hell.. the past 4 or 5 years iv'e been in wireless.. but i have a male friend who works for SAP doing IT consulting and the females there are have the same issue.. so i think it's probably anything technology related tbh. ☚ī¸

after two years in internet tech support and half a year in wireless, i'm practially used to men doing this. but if a WOMAN does it to me? that's just pathetic.
buzzed09

Feb 4, 2009, 11:49 PM
You have no idea how hard it is to work in a cell phone repair shop from the beginning working on phones etc. and be a woman. I have been repairing phones for about a year now and I will actually do them on the floor once in a while and I must say people are amazed at how a young woman knows how to diagnose phones correctly and fix them. It gets on my nerves how men think women aren't mechanically inclined.
OfAMightDivine

Feb 5, 2009, 12:03 AM
I understand.

It gets on my nerves how women think that men think women aren't mechanically inclined.
repoman

Feb 5, 2009, 9:44 AM
Agreed.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.