Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 14 replies

Wet Phone

mobileman08

Dec 31, 2008, 10:19 AM
I had this customer come in yesterday and she was saying how her screen is all messed up and shes only had the phone for 2 days. So i take a look at it and checked the water mark on thew back. As i pull off the battery their is water in the phone. So I told her that this phone has been dropped in a large amount of water and that is going to be the reason for her phone not working properly. Than she tells me that it has never been dropped in water. As I show her the water in the phone and the mark she copntinues to tell me that it has never been in water. I cant tell you how many people have said "My phone has never been in water" but the water mark is clearly red, not just a slight pink but RED. Anyone have any good stories about that...
(continues)
Jrockemsockem

Dec 31, 2008, 11:21 AM
My favorite is when they ask me how it got wet??? 😳
zboyd989

Dec 31, 2008, 12:31 PM
i always tell them its either from rain or talking on the phone with wet hair....they normally understand
jeffatt

Dec 31, 2008, 1:22 PM
lol yeah...it's like since they got outsmarted by the LDI then we should be able to tell them exactly how, where, & why it got wet and why getting a phone wet would affect it
kapwww

Dec 31, 2008, 5:25 PM
I usually reply with something like "I couldn't tell you. I haven't followed you or your phone around everywhere you've gone since purchase. What I CAN tell you is that (option A) the water dripping out of the phone right now proves beyond doubt that this phone IS wet and is NOT covered by warranty or (option B) The moisture indicator and the large amount of corrosion in the charging port voids your warranty."
Mr. Spock

Dec 31, 2008, 11:52 AM
I'm in Insurance. This guy calls in and I SWEAR says "All I did was take it in the shower with me"........
xIsamuTM

Dec 31, 2008, 12:59 PM
i think my wet phone story is the best one ever.

I've also had people bring me phones that got birthing fluid all over them (i live near farm country, cow birthed all over the phone.)

I had someone get their phone wet from the walk from the store to their car.

phone that smelt of bongwater.

not a wet phone but related to the above. phone with weed stuck in the speaker.

i miss vzw life sometimes
custservguru

Dec 31, 2008, 7:11 PM
i honestly dont know how people ruin thier phone with water when they walk to thier car. its its raining that bad.. put it away!
birthing fluid? seriously.. what is your phone doing that close to where it would get on it?
bong water? ..... nuff said.. at that point your too stoned to pay attention to details like wheres my phone.
ive actually stuck my head out of the shower and grabbed my phone..but kept my head out of the shower, my hair was soaking wet and have never had my sticker change.

one time i put my phone in my door handle. forgot it was there.. jumped out of the car, leaving my door wide open while it was pouring to get my mail.. proceeded to leave it open for another minute after getting back in the car.. realized my ph...
(continues)
robtheman

Jan 1, 2009, 10:52 AM
I knew someone that dropped his phone in the toilet. He pulled it back out, pulled out the battery, did everything you're supposed to do to save a wet phone. The LDI was still white. I was baffled.
BigShowJB

Jan 1, 2009, 1:13 PM
I've had lots of people that the phone has gotten wet and the LDI never changes, it just depends on how well you react to the moisture.

also had one person who knew about the LDI and put whiteout on it. too bad (for them) they didn't whiteout the raised edge of the sticker or clean the corrosion off the battery, contacts and charging port.
BLEDSOE

Jan 2, 2009, 11:30 AM
my husband dropped his in the river and it was in there for about two minutes before he realized it was gone...white LDI still. It doesn't work but does not show external water damage..however i am sure that the internal indicators are RED... 🤣
xIsamuTM

Jan 1, 2009, 2:41 PM
spend a week in denver in spring. you'll understand the rain and the cow-juice. god bless redneck america.
filerx

Dec 31, 2008, 9:27 PM
The best term to use with customer is "liquid damage" and not "water damage". The reason I say mention this is I once had a recently commissioned US Naval lieutenant, strapping young man, come in one Monday morning into my store and stated he went partying at one of the gentle men's clubs over the weekend since he just graduated from OCS and said his Sanyo Katana/SCP-6000 mysteriously stopped working. Upon inspection, I discovered what appeared to be "water damage" and stated this to him at which point he exclaimed that he "never exposed it to any water". I pointed out the visible tiny liquid spots under the external LCD as well as the light condensation under the internal one. I asked him how he could account for the liquid spots I presente...
(continues)
Fredd

Jan 2, 2009, 9:40 AM
If it was Budweiser, it was DEFINITELY water damage, since that is one watery beverage!
robtheman

Jan 1, 2009, 10:57 AM
I learned how to get around people denying that their phone has been wet. Instead of saying, "Well, it looks like the phone has been wet," do this:

Me: Do you see this little red dot on the back of your phone?

Them: Yeah.

Me: It's supposed to be white. When the phone gets wet, it turns red.

Them: Oh. I wonder how that happened...

For some reason, changing the order around makes people forget about denial. It works well.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.