Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 26 replies

Phone Lock Issue

IrishCarBomb

Dec 27, 2008, 1:26 PM
I just had a customer with an unbranded unlocked Moto Razr V3/w edge come in.

She put changed the phone lock code and the security code on the phone, and forgot both, so her phone is now locked out and nothing can be done as far as I know.

Does anyone know of anyway to unlock a phone in this situation? I know some phones have a master unlock code regardless of what the customer sets their phone and security codes to.
liquidfire

Dec 27, 2008, 1:29 PM
i know with vzw, once you program the phone, the lock code changes to the last 4 of the phone number.

not sure if that would work with a sim card since i guess gsm phones dont need "programmed"

maybe a hard reset??
IrishCarBomb

Dec 27, 2008, 1:32 PM
Doesn't work with it at all, tried it already.

Possibly a hard reset, but I am not sure how or if you can do that to a Moto Razr without going through the menus, which of course I can't do. The phone wiz guy here in town that does repairs and a bunch of other stuff said the only option was to either change the board out on the phone(Makes him money) or send it to Moto, but I can't help but think there might be a better answer than either of those.
liquidfire

Dec 27, 2008, 1:35 PM
there has to be another way. well hell if its a razr, just reflash it

new software should have no memory of the old code.
IrishCarBomb

Dec 27, 2008, 1:41 PM
This is true, but I don't have any flashing equipment to do that. I bet the phone guy that said he would change the board does, but he is going to work them over for as much money as possible. He is the kinda shop that has no prices, it costs what he decides you will pay basically. He hooks me up since I am nice to him, others he screws since they take their problems out on him. God I wish I had that power... "What, you want that free, well I am sorry you didn't jump on the 29.95 pricing a minute ago, it just went up to 99.95"
JaydenW

Dec 27, 2008, 1:43 PM
A true warrior would have jumped on it like an animal
IrishCarBomb

Dec 27, 2008, 1:47 PM
I gave some options in her price range, but my hands are pretty tied, I am a corp store. She didn't qualify to set up a new account either, and didn't have the cash. She had all of $50 for a phone, I had 2 options, one of which I was going to eat a couple dollars on since I have that laying under my drawer in extra cash from newbs not being able to count back cash right.

And I should have just smacked her a couple of times, she was a little b!tch to me the entire time.
IrishCarBomb

Dec 27, 2008, 1:52 PM
What you said just made sense to me... I had this nagging feeling in the back of my head I mistook what you said... *smacks head*... ouch, that doesn't help a hang over very much.
JaydenW

Dec 27, 2008, 1:58 PM
hahaha that's alright. I was just thinking back to an aqua teen hunger force episode that had almost that exact same skyrocketing price line sort of thing.
It made me laugh, so i posted it.

you could have replied with anything and it wouldn't have made any better sense. 🤣
IrishCarBomb

Dec 27, 2008, 2:14 PM
Yeah, but you were responding to my last line, saying the customer should have jumped on it, and I took it as you saying I should have jumped on the customer and made a sale.

Aqua Teen is pimp!
liquidfire

Dec 27, 2008, 2:15 PM
you dont need anything really. just download a program and the flash file. then all you need is a mini-usb cable
IrishCarBomb

Dec 27, 2008, 2:23 PM
Yeah, that pretty much what I meant, I don't have a computer I can flash it with. My work computer is locked down hardcore! I do some WinMo cooking and flashing in my spare time, but I am not dealing with these people outside of work.
liquidfire

Dec 27, 2008, 2:27 PM
ahh. yea i wouldnt either. unless they were tryin to act like 10 new lines 🙂

just send em to the guy that will rape their wallets and call it a day. maybe get him to slip you a few $$ for giving him business 😎
IrishCarBomb

Dec 27, 2008, 2:35 PM
I already sent them on their way, and he already does hook me up! Anytime I need something, I usually go to him, since he gets me stuff way cheap or free. My brother broke his phone, I sent him and called the guy up, he hooked my brother up with a Samsung u600 for $50, and it was new!
OfAMightDivine

Dec 27, 2008, 1:34 PM
Yeah... get a better phone.

Who still uses a friggen Razr?

Especially a V3 model.

Only option is to contact the manufacturer, and I'll assume they charge for it.

Seriously... get a better phone for the customer.
IrishCarBomb

Dec 27, 2008, 1:37 PM
Yeah, Moto said it had to be shipped to them, $75 to do unlock it.

And trust me, I would love to sell the customer a better phone, but they are pre-paid and so forth.
custservguru

Dec 27, 2008, 4:40 PM
i know our sprint phones will reset the lock to the last 4 of the # when you reprogram it, as long as you can do that. the only phone that wont change the lock code is the instinct. the phone actually has to be replaced. well.. at least for us. we have the razor too and i know we can do it on our phones. little late i know.. but thought id tell ya what we do.
IrishCarBomb

Dec 27, 2008, 4:58 PM
Yeah, I knew about CDMA phones being set up like that, but unfortunately I am GSM.

The lady is pretty much screwed from what I can tell. I know that there is a way with Nokia's(Something with the IMEI#), we have a walk through somewhere for it, and there is a way with our HTCs and BBs, other than that nothing that I know of.
custservguru

Dec 27, 2008, 5:02 PM
oh sorry hun. wasnt sure what carrier you worked for. guess she should have remembered what she set it to. only she is to blame. i like when they get pissed at me for what they did. love it.
IrishCarBomb

Dec 27, 2008, 5:15 PM
It was pretty awesome! She was all pissed at me, and her mom told her to shut up and that it was her own damn fault etc. My jaw about hit the floor! I was so excited a parent told their child off instead of me.
custservguru

Dec 27, 2008, 5:21 PM
🤣
gadawg119

Dec 27, 2008, 5:10 PM
So does Palm...

Honestly, I can't believe you're putting this much work into a PPD customer. With us, once they have activated the number, our commission ends there. We usually don't go any further into it... "Your prepaid phone is f'ed up? I'm sorry to hear that. Walmart sells some inexpensive prepaid phones.....Next?"
IrishCarBomb

Dec 27, 2008, 5:21 PM
Well it is a piece of information that would go a long way in helping other customers, like those contract ones that do the same thing.

And I treat every customer the same for the most part. I might go a little further with a contract customer than a PIA, especially if they are upset about policy. PIA, it is what it is, but contract I will see if I can get management approval to bend policy. But for the most part I treat them all the same, since word of mouth is very important.

Actually, over half my commission a month comes off of new PIA customers, and I would say half of both my PIA and contract is strictly word of mouth. I spent 15 minutes helping a PIA customer, no money there up front, but I bet I get 2 new ones out of it now...
(continues)
custservguru

Dec 27, 2008, 5:23 PM
nothing wrong with trying to assist a customer. it will come back to you for good or bad.
IrishCarBomb

Dec 29, 2008, 4:27 PM
So she decided to come back and have me fill out the paperwork to send it in to Motorola.

The daughter kept trying to claim she didn't put a phone lock on the phone and hasn't let anyone else touch the phone. She tried to get mouthy with me and tell me I had to refund her for the phone and the talk time and that it was my fault.

After repeating the only way a phone lock gets put on the phone crap a couple times, her mom(awesome lady) said "well she insists she didn't put one on there, so it must be the phones fault" to which I replied, "well she could be lying about not putting one on there too." Her mom just smiled, and said "thats what I thought" and gave her daughter the evil eye.

And as it turns out, when she first got the ph...
(continues)
xIsamuTM

Dec 29, 2008, 4:37 PM
y'see, that's why i have a very easy code on my phone. anyone who's seen the stuff in computer knows better then to see what's in my phone so it's left alone for the better part.
jeffatt

Dec 30, 2008, 4:29 PM
I just tell people to forget about phone locks & PIN locks and all that other BS.

All it can do is cause headaches.

But boy do I love it when I get someone w/a PUK block, needs a SIM card, and has CASH!

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.