Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 39 replies

Does your store charge an "in-store activation" fee?

jeffatt

Dec 20, 2008, 11:53 AM
Or even heard of one that does?

Upgrades, new activations, prepaid, whatever.
uscellagent22

Dec 20, 2008, 11:54 AM
With uscc just prepaid, on a contract everything else is billed to them.
Pious Goddess

Dec 20, 2008, 11:55 AM
I always tell cus for new lines of service the Act fee is $36 for one/main line or $26 when activating new line of service in FT plan. But if they go to indirect stores I tell them they have their own fees besides our own and might waive their own act fees but not ours. It happens to much with cus calling in over that crap.
MR.Reme_RHYME

Dec 20, 2008, 12:14 PM
I'm indi.. 36 activation primary lines. 26 secondary. 18 upgrade fees. I don't have the bs best buy fees like connect you bluetooth fee etc... I think that's just ridiculous.
Ghosthendrikson

Dec 22, 2008, 1:03 PM
So you charge that on top of the Carrier's activation fees?

You charge people to upgrade?
IrishCarBomb

Dec 20, 2008, 12:00 PM
I am corp, so I just have those activations fees, depending on current promotion.

I believe 'in store' act fees are usually an indirect trying to make some extra cash.
yoboy8

Dec 20, 2008, 12:22 PM
we do for new activatinos $25
yoboy8

Dec 20, 2008, 12:24 PM
and prepaid... $35
BLEDSOE

Dec 20, 2008, 12:24 PM
alltel does...the only ones who are able to bill it are national retailers..i e walmart. ๐Ÿ™„
jeffatt

Dec 20, 2008, 1:05 PM
Thanks for the replies. I work for indirect (authorized agent/retailer) and they have us charge a minimum of $10 and pay us extra commission if we charge in excess of that with a maximum of $18.

I think it's a total ripoff and have made my opinion known for the nearly 2 years that I've been here. Thankfully we have a new RAE (AT&T rep) who is dead set against it and is trying to get our owner to change the policy on that.

I just wanted to see how common it is and what other retailers may charge.
gadawg119

Dec 20, 2008, 1:50 PM
We are indirect. Don't charge any activation fees in-store. Just billed the regular act fees from the carrier.

I did have a lady recently that came in b!tc#ing at us, DEMANDING that we refund her activation fee because she was charged one in-store (at BestBuy). Here's pretty much how it went:

Me - Ma'am, **** charges a $36 activation fee on a new line. That charge is billed to you. No one at **** can give you a credit until after you have talked to BestBuy and figured out what the charge was for.

Crazy lady - ๐Ÿคจ

M - So if you need to get a credit, you need to go to BestBuy and find out what they charged you for, then call CS and they will credit you if they are able to.

C - THAT'S WHAT I'M TRYING TO DO!!! ๐Ÿ‘ฟ

M - S...
(continues)
MR.Reme_RHYME

Dec 20, 2008, 2:06 PM
Where do you work gadawg like for which indi?
sweetcherrygurl

Dec 20, 2008, 2:44 PM
i work for a premium retailer and the only time we charge an activation fee is if they bring in their own phone to start a prepay line ๐Ÿ™„

when they buy a prepay phone from us it includes the activation, otherwise, its 25 bucks
64kwireless

Dec 20, 2008, 3:24 PM
sometimes i add an extra "service fee" to set up email, transfer numbers, ect. it is standard in our business to charge this now. before, i never did.. try it out.. its just more money in your pocket. They can do it online? sure, but they pay for the internet right? its not free... so it works.
Menno

Dec 20, 2008, 5:23 PM
We charge no upgrade or instore activation fee.

We do, however, have a machine that pulls their numbers and pictures from their phone and puts it in their new one. Unless the customer is a vip, the machine is 10 to use because it is very expensive for us to maintain in store.
h2odamage

Dec 20, 2008, 7:16 PM
Hello fellow corporate employee. ๐Ÿ™‚
Menno

Dec 20, 2008, 8:24 PM
Premium retailer actually. ๐Ÿ˜Ž
WZ_agent

Dec 21, 2008, 1:28 PM
hello fellow premium retailer
poweredup

Dec 21, 2008, 2:02 PM
wow, how much is it to maintain the "machine" you guys use? we have a machine and its called "cell-brite" and it just lays there with no maintenance needed besides once a month plugging it into a website for updates.

we are supposed to charge $15 for every customer, but that never happens, unless its someone that has brought in a competitors phone because they left sprint will i ever charge that fee ๐Ÿ˜
j-villa

Dec 20, 2008, 8:30 PM
We don't....Sprint Agent. And we usually can get the activation fee's waived. And we have 14 free phones for new customers.

When everything is free it's easy to sell. ๐Ÿคฃ
kapwww

Dec 20, 2008, 8:35 PM
Is it really selling then or just order taking?
MR.Reme_RHYME

Dec 20, 2008, 8:40 PM
The latter
j-villa

Dec 20, 2008, 8:46 PM
No sir i don't order take. I top down sell. I start at the highest plan's with the highest devices. But you and i both know people. I want FREE FREE FREE FREE FREE.
MR.Reme_RHYME

Dec 20, 2008, 8:51 PM
All my phones that are "free" are with the purchase of car charger or holster etc... People may demand "free", but everyone in life knows there is nothing that actually falls into this category.
j-villa

Dec 20, 2008, 8:54 PM
Well my free is at the cost of signing up a contract.

The 14 for free are a holiday promo. And if the customers are nice and doing 5 lines. I'll throw them 2 car chargers for 10 bucks or even less. And i'll wave all fee's.(if they ask for this) If they are rude and impatient, it's 29.99 an access. No fee's waived.

People get treated the way the treat others.
MR.Reme_RHYME

Dec 20, 2008, 8:58 PM
free phone= Contract + accessory. I don't discount if they are patient.. They should be anyway. Only if they're hawt will I let go profit. Call it what you want but GROSS PROFIT makes my paychecks..This is coming from an ex car sales person. I only waive fees if there is a corporate promo. I'm all about $$$$$$ 1346.86 GP today ๐Ÿ˜ก
liquidfire

Dec 20, 2008, 9:02 PM
well since we dont get paid on acc sales, why should we care? the cust is happy and will come back. hell they'll send their friends in to get free acc. ๐Ÿ™‚
j-villa

Dec 20, 2008, 9:02 PM
ahh....it would be nice to get paid on everything. I get paid by phone. It's one rate for any kind of deal. I get a decent hourly pay. It's not bad. But i don't plan on staying here forever.
MR.Reme_RHYME

Dec 21, 2008, 1:48 AM
I work for an indirect. I'm guessing you guys are Corp.? Who in the **** would want to sell CEll for life??? Oh and yes I do get paid commision on total gp. I wish I got paid per phone I do like 60+ a month @ my store. ๐Ÿ˜• I may be losing out
j-villa

Dec 21, 2008, 7:16 PM
no at a agent in a affiliate market.I get paid ten bucks a pop no matter what it is. So i'm at 32 phones so far this month. 320 in commission. Plus i'm hourly and actually get over time. So it's not that bad. But i want more!รƒโ€šร‚ย  ๐Ÿคฃ
Menno

Dec 22, 2008, 2:35 PM
Thats why so many people are leaving Sprint, right?

Seriously, we get more port ins from Sprint than almost any other carrier, and they are taking a price increase to come here.
cilvzwagent

Dec 21, 2008, 2:48 PM
And I'll tell you why!!!!!

We have multiple customers who can't seem to keep track of their phones, let alone who wants which phone. One account in particular, I would do an esn change across all 7 lines on the account atleast once a month, if not more. Just because now the sons, daughters, moms, and dads, all want to try the other's out. Doing a 7 line ESN change costs a lot of time. When I have customers waiting in line to spend money, and get tired of waiting the 15-20 minutes It is going to take me to change the esn's, and get them all activated. I have then lost money. So yes, we charge a $10 per line esn change fee for customer provided equipment changes. We are paid on a commission structure, and I can't afford to have a 3 o...
(continues)
uscellagent22

Dec 21, 2008, 2:52 PM
amen!!!!

I do have a question how do you guys get away with charging 10 bucks for a contact transfer? and do you guys just pocket that money or does that money go to the store?
cilvzwagent

Dec 21, 2008, 2:54 PM
It is rang up into our system. We the rep's don't get the full $10 of either the phonebook transfer or esn change, we make a portion of it, and it counts towards monthly goals which we get bonuses from. Any time we use our phonebook transfer machine, we charge the fee. Customer argument "That's outrageous" My argument "Enter them yourself"
WZ_agent

Dec 21, 2008, 2:56 PM
we also charge the cellebrite fee of 10. we are paid on a gross profit basis (10% of cost - price)
uscellagent22

Dec 21, 2008, 3:21 PM
we also use a cell brite but if higher management would murder us if they found out we were charging for it..but i def. see the point in doing that. if something happens to the machine. you guys have the funds to replace it or any of the cables..its actually not a bad idea.
WZ_agent

Dec 21, 2008, 3:37 PM
as i explain to customers:
see, in a business environment, i provide a service which you pay for. yes, you can do this yourself and that is an option. however, if i provide the service, you will pay me for my time and use of my machine.
Menno

Dec 22, 2008, 2:43 PM
I show them how the machine is connected to the internet, I also show them the 100+ cables that we need to connect the phones to the machine and I explain that the machine itself cost our store almost 1200 and it requires a yearly fee to keep it up to date with all the new drivers.

Most people are happy to pay the fee when I tell them I can pull their pictures and contacts off in a matter of minutes instead of them spending hours to do it manually.
Menno

Dec 22, 2008, 12:23 PM
Our corporate actually gives us a hard time if we DON'T charge for phonebooks.

We have the ESN and phonebook fees as well. I generally don't charge the ESN for people who upgrade in our store (if they buy the phone here) Phonebooks are typically free with new customers, and for verizon VIP's (Primary line only)
sweetcherrygurl

Dec 24, 2008, 5:58 PM
we do the contact transfer for free if they buy the phone from us... other than that it's pretty much up to us to decide if we apply the fee or not...

the way i see it:
they buy the phone at corporate/walmart/costco/etc - they pay the fee.

they buy it here, we'll do it to be nice.

esn change? we charge the fee unless it's someone we know whom we suggested finding a backup phone for their water-damaged phone.

we are here to make money, not cater to Bob ๐Ÿ˜

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.