Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 43 replies

the worst thing about a kiosk is...

luckyman

Dec 30, 2004, 1:09 PM
the worst thing about a kiosk is you have nowhere to hide. some days, i long for a 'back room' to go put my head down.
tequilasundae

Dec 30, 2004, 1:37 PM
yup,,they can walk up early, they can walk up late, youre stuck listening to whatever dreck is playing on the muzak...i do enjoy people watching though..but you can't microwave your food either,...gotta blow wads at the food court@@
paskermo

Dec 30, 2004, 4:33 PM
But you all get business, you can't complain about those paychecks. Try sitting in a store front on a road that's only traveled by 1/3 of the city, and the closed store that's been there for over a decade is 1/4 mile away.
luckyman

Dec 30, 2004, 4:48 PM
true. when i work at our inline store, i call it a day off. its quiet, yer customers are serious, and you don't have to tell anyone where the food court is! 🙄
Lord_Gawkerbane

Jan 3, 2005, 3:19 PM
Food court, bathrooms, CVS (there isn't one in this mall), Radio Shack, Filene's... The list goes on and on. Sometimes I joke about people thinking information is spelled C-I-N-G-U-L-A-R.

Where I draw the line though, is when someone asks me if or where a competitor is in the mall. I generally ask them if they walk into McDonald's and ask where the nearest Burger King is when they do.

Oh, and another good one from the other day:

Them: Do you own Virgin Mobile.

Me: No.

Them: Well I've been trying to call their customer service and it just rings and rings and I never get anybody. Do you know how I can get a hold of them?

All in all, though, I like working in a kiosk. There are several advantages, like mall security being...
(continues)
froggirl

Jan 16, 2005, 1:31 PM
I adore my kiosk and cart locations! The traffic is unbelievable, and I get to talk to people all day instead of sitting at a desk the way I did at the retail store I used to work at. The only thing that sucks it listening to Build-A-Bear all day. (Happy Birthday to you CHA CHA CHA!)
tequilasundae

Jan 16, 2005, 1:45 PM
yeah,,,just the kiosk i work at has the muzak permanently locked on the time period between 1957-74 AM cheese ...nothing like having to hear "i like bread and butter" at high volume 😳 😳
justpeachy

Jan 16, 2005, 4:51 PM
Believe it or not, we actually have a good Muzak CD in my mall. Mostly 80s stuff- Bon Jovi!! Livin on a Prayer, You give love a bad name... Jessie's Girl (my theme song).. I dig it
tequilasundae

Jan 16, 2005, 5:16 PM
i wish...i don't know if they play this crap to sedate the teenagers or placate the mall walkers..but when the mall is closed...YIIIKE 😳
luckyman

Jan 17, 2005, 1:09 PM
i got the worst...i'm next to a toy store. i will NEVER spawn! and, i want to destroy anything that runs on batteries and makes noise. 👿
shadedpain4

Jan 17, 2005, 2:00 PM
luckyman said:
i got the worst...i'm next to a toy store. i will NEVER spawn! and, i want to destroy anything that runs on batteries and makes noise. 👿

That might upset your girlfriend....
luckyman

Jan 17, 2005, 4:00 PM
i'll get her a dog.... 😎
shadedpain4

Jan 17, 2005, 4:07 PM
luckyman said:
i'll get her a dog.... 😎

Ewwwwwwwwwwww. I hope we arent talking about the same concept here....
luckyman

Jan 17, 2005, 4:16 PM
you dirty, nasty man. of COURSE we're talking about interspecies relations, what else? 🙄
shadedpain4

Jan 17, 2005, 4:20 PM
The allow me to say again....

EWWWWWWWWWWWW 😛
BigBalledOX

Jan 24, 2005, 11:40 PM
People treat me like I'm effing mapquest at my store (not a kiosk, but a standalone in a strip mall). When they ask me for information, I tell them I don't know, but if they but a phone from me, they can call 411 from it and they'll take care of them. On a sidenote, I get called "asshole" a lot . . . 😁
sunvzw

Jan 25, 2005, 3:52 PM
hey i work in a store next to a auto zone and a quiznos.....aleast twice a day people are lost and want to look up map quest from my computer...or since they use verzion land line at home i owe then a free phone call 👿
sunset

Jan 3, 2005, 3:36 PM
Apparently people think that a kiosk is newspeak for information desk. I just refer them to the farthest corner away from me.
tequilasundae

Jan 3, 2005, 4:41 PM
i pity the poor bastards at the verizon kiosk who got stuck with a Veggie Tales kiosk right next to em...with enough bass to make west coast customes jealous...
kigirl11

Jan 4, 2005, 12:17 PM
i hate haveing people continually come up and ask for phone book and phone. I am not going to let them run my minutes up we are right nex t to the payphones too. It is outrageous.
tequilasundae

Jan 4, 2005, 3:48 PM
my favorite was when a lady looked at me and said "throw this away"!!! 😳 😳 😳 i pointed her to the trash can behind her....yes master i throw this away for ya
Lord_Gawkerbane

Jan 7, 2005, 11:25 AM
We had annoying people selling flying saucers next to us over the holidays. Thank god they're gone now.

If it's someone who's buying a phone from me, I don't really mind the garbage requests, but I'll point them to the mall trash cans, since I only have a small one and it all ends up in the mall ones anyway.

Another one of my favorites is, "Do you know what time it is?" My response is, "Yes, and you would too if you had a Cingular phone with a clock on it."

People ask me if there's a payphone anywhere, and I always tell them that they wouldn't need to know that if they bought a cell phone from me.
Shaylynne4

Jan 7, 2005, 5:32 PM
We had people selling this eletronic ping pong game next to us over I went home every night with a headache!! And they had a booth on the other side of us that sold remote control cars it was bad!! My favorite thing about working in a Kiosik is 🙄 that they seem to think you are information!! We once had a guy set a package down to be wrapped on your counter!! LOL!! 😳
tequilasundae

Jan 7, 2005, 5:52 PM
what i like was that the one i worked at was in front of a foot locker, so we always had kids leanin on the kiosk and talking'''
shadedpain4

Jan 7, 2005, 6:07 PM
tequilasundae said:
what i like was that the one i worked at was in front of a foot locker, so we always had kids leanin on the kiosk and talking'''

two words:

cattle prod
pizpiz80

Jan 8, 2005, 1:59 PM
How about when you are eating, which is obvious, and people say "Oh i didnt mean to interupt you, but where are the bathrooms?" All i can ever think is "Can't you see im eating here? And where the hell on my kiosk does it say "Mall Information"?" 👿
Lord_Gawkerbane

Jan 8, 2005, 7:04 PM
Well, it's dead in here today because of the storm. Some guy just came by and asked me where Best Buy is. It old him there's no Best Buy in the mall. He said, "What the hell was I thinking?" If only I knew that, along with how peoples' phones get liquid damage (Somehow they say it was never anywhere near any liquid) my job would be so much easier.
heather_bo_beather

Jan 10, 2005, 6:35 PM
Hahah! Oh Yeah! Cause those ink blots on the back of your battery run together on there own, cause the cell companies are out to get you. Give me a Break! 😕
justpeachy

Jan 9, 2005, 12:31 PM
I just love it when customers say that ("oh, sorry I'm interrupting your lunch") and then continue on with their questions. If they're going to draw attention to the fact that my food is going to get cold then they shouldn't be a dick and let it get cold. Just interrupt me and don't say anything!
Okcingy

Jan 9, 2005, 3:41 PM
Sounds like you guys have it easy! 👿 I work in a mall with 2 levels and guess where I am.. right under the food court where everynight at least 20 stupid kids think its funny to drop coins, food and sometimes drinks down here for me to enojoy.. Some nights are better than others tho, when we have the 30-40 cops walking around the mall ( EVERY fri-sun night) people dont mess with me as much.

Do any of you ever have the same people coming back every month asking to pay their bill, even tho you have told them for the past year that you dont take payments? That is my fav thing, it gives me something to look forward to lol..

But, the worst thing I can think of about working in a kiosk is all the " homies " that come up and want to buy...
(continues)
Sumerian

Jan 9, 2005, 4:07 PM
Sounds like you work for an indirect dealer for a wireless company. those guys that yell at people and try to get them to buy a phone. and those guys who send customers to the corporate stores for any problems.
Okcingy

Jan 9, 2005, 6:10 PM
That would be us! 🙂 its not that we dont care about their problems. It's just that we can't do anything at all for you cept call CS. Since we all know that thay are so helpfull 🙄

Sides its all about the $$ and we dont make it fixing peoples problems ~
luckyman

Jan 10, 2005, 2:32 PM
i'm indirect, and i try to help customers if i can, but he's right, when your indirect, if you have a choice between explaning a bill or selling a cell, you go where the money is.
Shaylynne4

Jan 11, 2005, 7:41 PM
Personally as long as i can help someone i will because when they need something they are going to remember that you didn't help them especilly if you are rude!! I have lots of return customers for that fact alone!!
sammy2

Jan 10, 2005, 4:39 PM
If you don't "invest" your time into fixing their problems they may not come to you when it is time for them to spend their money on your phone equipment or service. They will remember how you virtually ignored them.
Shopgirl84

Jan 15, 2005, 5:35 PM
the worst thing about a kiosk is livig by the food court, and going home smelling like the food there. Just when you think the smell is gone, you get up and get in your car and there it is! 😲
sammy2

Jan 10, 2005, 4:36 PM
how about reading a book?
heather_bo_beather

Jan 10, 2005, 6:29 PM
Or that people think you are a mall directory.... 😉
pepsigirl

Jan 17, 2005, 5:41 PM
Or Wal-Mart directory. Do I look like I have a BLUE VEST on that says in bold white letters "HOW MAY I HELP YOU?" No I do not, but if you get a phone from me, I just might tell you that the laundry soap is on isle 12 and the lightbulbs are in hardware and the books are katty corner from me. 😲
pizpiz80

Jan 17, 2005, 5:58 PM
You have to understand that 90% of people that shop there probably can't read. I can only imagine all the prepaid and customer's with deposits that you get. LoL 😳 🤣
pepsigirl

Jan 17, 2005, 6:10 PM
You can't even begin to understand how true that is...They ask where electronics is, eventhough we are placed right in front of it. Whey do they put Wal-Marts in hoaky one horse towns? You almost think that they need to have neon PICTURE signs showing people where things are...
tequilasundae

Jan 21, 2005, 12:00 PM
or when you are at one side...and they go to the other side..and get testy if your spidey sense doens't immediately go off. 😈
tequilasundae

Jan 25, 2005, 4:23 PM
i just got asked if i'd seen someones lost EXCHANGE STUDENT>>>>i said i didn't know and she proceeded to to describe him to me anyway and tell me the whole sad story of how they got seperated... 😳
LuciferTMO

Jan 30, 2005, 4:58 PM
Well, I'm 1hr and 11 minutes away from my last Kiosk shift (my current location has a store front on the ground level of the mall, and a kiosk on the top floor) and so, having been cussed out twice today, I thought I'd share some of my kiosk moments with you...

1.) Both stores are direct. they're staffed by the same people, run by the same management, owned by the same wireless provider. People still ask me "where's the store?" I'm the effing store lady. "No, I mean the store store." What, does the openess of the kiosk disturb you?? Jeeeeezus.

2.)Perhaps my FAVORITE moment of all time is when the self-absorbed jagoff hops off the escalators directly in front of my kiosk and asks me where the store directly behind him is. I get t...
(continues)

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.