Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 25 replies

was I wrong for this??[long]

vzace

Jan 15, 2008, 12:41 PM
ok the store i work at we just took over jan 1st and we have been dealing with a bunch of customer complaints about the reps who used to work at this store. So this guy came in with an air card he wanted to return. He didnt have his original reciept which is fine because i can look it up in our system. He bought it 35 days ago, we have a 15 day return policy on our products. I tell him i cant return it because of this. He starts going off telling me he was told it was a 30 day return policy so i show him the sign that says 15 day policy and i tell him even if it is a 30 day policy he is outside of that date too. So he proceeds to tell me that i am an imcompotent piece of sh!t and if i dont return his air car he is going to kick my a$$. So i ...
(continues)

Jan 15, 2008, 12:45 PM
Considering your previous rweps did such a bad job of helping customers I would have bent the rules and helped him......... but thats just me...
vzace

Jan 15, 2008, 12:54 PM
so you would have went out of your way to help a guy who was up in your face telling you hes going to kick your a$$?
cilvzwagent

Jan 15, 2008, 1:36 PM
He was only up in your face making those threats because you told him you wouldn't help him. None of which would have happened had you smiled and said "Absolutely, lets see what we can do here"
OfAMightDivine

Jan 15, 2008, 1:51 PM
So because he did not offer to break a policy, that condones the customers behavior?
vzace

Jan 15, 2008, 2:30 PM
thank you!!! finally somebody who understands how i feel bout the situation...i am not going to go out of my way for sumbody who is threatening me after i tried to tell him there is a couple options while he was cutting me off in the middle of my sentence
talia

Jan 15, 2008, 2:55 PM
I agree with you and I believe you did the right thing. Customers are not always right and he brought it back after the 15 day trial period and if it was 30 days...he still brought it back late. Why are rules in place, if custs can come in a get what they want at any given time. I hate the person who starting giving cust free phone. Cells are not a need they are a want. So if a custy want help then they need to play nice.
BigShowJB

Jan 15, 2008, 3:37 PM
best you could have done was exchange it for him. or you can suggest that if he doesn't want the service at all, is to go to celltrade usa.com or cellswapper or another related site and try to pawn it off on someone else.

as far as the ass kicking thing goes, I'd have told him to bring it on little b!tch!
labellavita

Jan 16, 2008, 6:50 PM
You did everything right. You shouldnt bend the rules to help someone like that. And your manager said you should have but gauranteed if you did it when his dm asked him about it he would totally make you take all the blame. You should have told him that you would do it but your manager said no and told him the next time your manager worked. Maybe he would have kicked his a$$. Serves him right for not standing up for his rep. My manager does a lot I hate but he always has my back when I have agressive customers.
shellis129

Jan 15, 2008, 9:24 PM
cilvzwagent said:
He was only up in your face making those threats because you told him you wouldn't help him. None of which would have happened had you smiled and said "Absolutely, lets see what we can do here"

But then he's even more pissed when you find out and tell him that he's out of the return period and he's now yelling at you cause you lied to his face when you said "absolutley..."
spidermon

Jan 15, 2008, 2:20 PM
they should get exactly what they dish out so they learn to approach people. Otherwise they will continue to think all they have to do to get their way is act like a jerk. Screw the guy, if you see him on the street ask him if he still wants to kick your a$$.
televator

Jan 18, 2008, 3:03 PM
it bums me out to think that customers like that are what gives different companies' customer service a bad name, wouldnt help me is not the same as couldnt help me or he did his/her best to try and solve the problem
Tmo Slave

Jan 15, 2008, 12:50 PM
Your manager is a complete a$$. I would have been pissed at him for not backing you up. The return policies are there for a reason. If you start make acceptions for one guy you have to start doing it for everyone. If he was like 1 day outside of the 15 days then maybe, but definately not if he was being a complete a-hole. Plus threatening you I would have thrown him out of the store and have done that to people in the past. So you were right and your manager needs to back you up on it.
cellsellphones

Jan 15, 2008, 12:51 PM
that's a fine line. at first i might have tried to help.. but at the same time there are rules.. also, as a manager, i would have stood behind you.
daarin

Jan 15, 2008, 1:13 PM
You were completely within your rights and you took a lot more than I would have. You shouldn't have returned the air card, the guy was a complete tool. After he threatened you, you should have informed him, "it IS a free country sir, but is that really worth a trip to jail?" As the manager, it is their job to not only back up the reps, but as soon as they heard someone yelling, your manager should have come onto the floor and took care of the irate customer themselves. I understand if it was only a couple of days past the limit, but he was 2X over it. Being an idiot is no excuse for not reading the signs, the receipts, and listening to people when they tell you there is a certain amount of time before they are not able to return someth...
(continues)
vzace

Jan 15, 2008, 1:31 PM
well i am the only one working this store today so i called my manager and told him about it. and the guy was mad because the old reps that worked here told him it was 30 days when its not it clearly states on my sign 15 days with ORIGINAL receipt.
BigShowJB

Jan 15, 2008, 3:45 PM
1) the guy was a dick ... no deals
2) the policy is 15 days with original receipt
3) that is exactly why tose reps are the 'old reps' and you are the new rep'

I'd have stood behind you as your manager and told you to contact the corporate stores and call centers and have his account notated as to his behavior toward you.

Right choices 😎
vzace

Jan 17, 2008, 3:55 PM
thank you!
OfAMightDivine

Jan 15, 2008, 1:15 PM
There's no way you're wrong. This guy was over 2 weeks outside of the return period. Not your issue at all. If he was 1-3 days outside of it, I'm sure it could have been done. But 20 days? No way.

As for your manager, he seems like a big p***y. Why should you break the policy that's there for a reason, for someone insulting you, and threatening you with physical harm? All that would do is teach the jerk that this behavior is acceptable in daily life.
rivers9180

Jan 15, 2008, 2:00 PM
i prolly would have returned it for him, but i would have advised him there would be a cancellation fee that he would be responsible for...

i would have said that i can return the card for you, and the credit will go towards your cancellation fee 😉
hoonder sneets

Jan 15, 2008, 9:39 PM
i'd have asked the guy if he wanted to dance outside! or blew him a kiss or something. wireless customers, nay, consumers in general need to realize that if you want something done for you outside of the lines, that just paying your bill every month don't cut it. the first thing they told me when i was in customer care training for new employees is to work with the customer to reach a win/win situation. how do we win if we take back a product outside of the return policy that is under contract so that our companies can make a profit? i say we get rid of overages, just charge a flat rate, and discounted equipment. that way there is nothing to negotiate or argue about. "its always been this way homie, sorry you didn't read your stuff, but that...
(continues)
UOQuack

Jan 16, 2008, 6:33 PM
You did the right thing by sticking to policy. Violating policy might have cost you your job. On the other hand, the circumstances might have warranted special attention. If the customer truly was given bad information by the previous reps, you would have made yourself look good by getting your boss on the phone and letting him/her make the call. That way you've covered yourself, and shown the customer that you are willing to work on his behalf. Even if he was a tool from the start, a little effort can convert those tools into loyal customers.
vs1phn

Jan 17, 2008, 3:09 PM
I would of done this:

Let the guy vent. He might of been told wrong information. People don't appreciate being told wrong information. You are in the business of customer service. I think that this could of been resolved differently. I would of done an in store exchange, Charged him a $50 restocking fee called and gotten the early termination fee waived. That just makes you look that much better. That would of put money in my pocket and the guy wouldn't of been so hostile to you. You have to choose your words right....try avoiding the word "NO" and replace with something else like...."This is what we can do"....it lowers the gaurd of the customer and puts you back in control.

I get people coming in all the time who are upset....everyb...
(continues)
UOQuack

Jan 18, 2008, 11:09 AM
Great advice about the use of language. People hate hearing NO, but there are other ways to say it without actually using the word. Also, the word of mouth is so powerful. Studies show a customer who has a bad experience will tell 10 of his/her friends about it, while a customer who has a good experience will only tell 3. So that means we have to work that much harder to get positive word of mouth that we do to get negative word of mouth.
Marcus Fenix

Jan 16, 2008, 6:56 PM
Leave the dark side and let The Force guide you to working in one of the corporate retail stores in the area.
ReaperTut

Jan 18, 2008, 3:22 PM
i think your right and i would stand behind what you did. and if your manager was there, he may have had the ability to do this, but bending rules does not reflect well on companies. if you can't stand behind your own policies what does that say about the company as a whole? you didn't do wrong IMO

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.