Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 22 replies

TTY telephone service for the deat,

ReaperTut

Jan 3, 2008, 10:27 PM
anyone here a TTY operator? whats the funniest convo you had to repeat, and have you ever broken out of professionalism? i would have, this is why i would never apply for something like that.. cause out of the 5 times i'ev used the service, only once, was it not a prank. had a deaf guy lookin to rent out of the rooms in an old house i was stayin at in chico last winter...
Nikoletta

Jan 3, 2008, 11:06 PM
I have never worked in a TTY or TDD however I am working on my interpretors certifications (for American Sign Language) and have had to do lots of papers on the system.

One of the things that shocked me is that with the TTY/TDD relays, especially the IP relays, the operator knows, doesn't guess but knows, that at LEAST 90% of the calls they facilitate are going to be fraud. It makes them extremely bitter because the Americans with Disabilities act says that they can't legally do anything about it, they are required to behave as if they are not even there. It's really a shame that people try to take advantage of the system that was set up to assist Deaf, deaf, and Hard of Hearing people (The Deaf community makes a very big distinction be...
(continues)
ReaperTut

Jan 3, 2008, 11:13 PM
ahaha.. thats funny. so whats the difference between deaf and Deaf.. would that be born Deaf and became deaf later in life?... because im HH due to wind and engine noise, well an i guess concerts (not wearin ear protection.. which woulda been a good idea cause you hear the singer more clearely..
Nikoletta

Jan 3, 2008, 11:37 PM
Not really actually. It's largely cultural.

Deaf means you are really into the culture, you identify yourself as Deaf and Deaf culture.

deaf is simply the audiological condition, not being able to hear. You can be deaf without being Deaf, if you grow up in a hearing family and make no real attempts to connect with the Deaf community. You can become Deaf later on though if you want.

HH people can identify themselves (and often do) as Deaf, deaf, or Hard of Hearing, it's really just about how they want to be called.
ReaperTut

Jan 3, 2008, 11:40 PM
so its tomato tomAto eh? .. alrighty.. well, i got a couple new wrinkles in my brain. thank you. im gonna count out and close my kiosk. you have a wonderful evening and thanks again for the information. you were great. lets do it again shall we? heh
captainplooky

Jan 12, 2008, 10:04 PM
So then it's Deaf people who want designer deaf babies instead of deaf people?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/health/arti ... »

From The Sunday Times
December 23, 2007
Deaf demand right to designer deaf children

DEAF parents should be allowed to screen their embryos so they can pick a deaf child over one that has all its senses intact, according to the chief executive of the Royal National Institute for Deaf and Hard of Hearing People (RNID).

Jackie Ballard, a former Liberal Democrat MP, says that although the vast majority of deaf parents would want a child who has normal hearing, a small minority of couples would prefer to create a child who is effectively disabled, to fit in better with the fami
(continues)
PirateCleen

Jan 15, 2008, 10:55 AM
I had a customer once, where it was in a specific sales promo group, that accused us of discriminating against them because we didnt offer that promo through their language;
specifically, you could order online, or by calling a specific line, but they set up their service through a Deaf dealer, and couldn't qualify. I was told by them it was out of line fof me to state they still had the option to do it over the internet, which doesnt discriminate for any hearing purposes.
You know what i mean here K.
Nikoletta

Jan 15, 2008, 4:56 PM
I remember you talking about that customer, and you know, they could have used a Video Relay Service and done the whole thing in sign language! They just didn't want to wait for the phone, every community has it's cry-baby whiners who want to have everything and want it all for free.
captainplooky

Jan 16, 2008, 2:05 AM
Nikoletta said:
...every community has it's cry-baby whiners who want to have everything...

🤣

Irony
Bagman7882

Jan 12, 2008, 7:28 PM
Your a real piece of work tut boy. Bagging on the handicapped, what a real loser. No wonder you want someone to be your friend. With friends like you who needs enemies? What a piece of crap 😡 😡 😡 😡 😡 😡 😡
ReaperTut

Jan 12, 2008, 9:32 PM
do you must be some crazy f-ed up wierdo. cause every response i've gotten, from my forum post column under my profile. what are you a stalker? must be something about me you like to keep responding my posts. need i report you? or will you wilter away and crawl under the rock you belong. the TTY thing, makin fun of handicap? thats funny, because id on't remember ever using it to make fun of someone. read more carefully you ignorant arsehole.
inked n poked.

Jan 12, 2008, 10:14 PM
i was thinking the same thing...
he dug up every thread from yesterday in the lounge and responded to your posts...
kinda weird.
ReaperTut

Jan 12, 2008, 10:30 PM
kinda, just alot. i had 10 or 11 responses from him. im a little creeped out. but i've seen that PS id before. i just don't remember from when or where though. forum i meant. and to talk about my spelling? who gives a f***? really.. so how's your day goin thus far? i've been replacing all of our collateral. again. i've done it the last 3 times .. like when i worked at victoria secrets i would get glitter ALL OVER the place.. my car had glitter in it for months, even after cleaning, vacuuming, and what not. it sucked. i always get stuck doing floor changes and that stuff.
inked n poked.

Jan 12, 2008, 10:44 PM
im doing pretty good.. here till 11 ☹️
and NOONE to talk to!
and this place is D-E-A-D!
ReaperTut

Jan 12, 2008, 11:30 PM
i hear that.. sorry.. more set change stuff... so you only have incoming calls? or do you make outgoing also?
inked n poked.

Jan 12, 2008, 11:36 PM
we are an inbound center...
we CAN make outbound calls is nessacary...
im on overflow CGN calls right now, and am prolly gonna have a few escalations.. on TOP of it, my ensemble isnt working!

👿
👿
😢
WhoDey

Jan 13, 2008, 12:10 PM
.....when DOES it work.

I think we should only post when it DOES work.

/would never post again...
ShackViperElite

Jan 13, 2008, 12:17 AM
Reading that was just downright painful...

Breaking confidentiality is something that no one should do in respect to TTY relay... Abuse of the relay is pretty low too. I guess I'm officially old as none of this sounds "cool" or "fun".
Nikoletta

Jan 13, 2008, 12:40 PM
Are you joking? Relay gets abused CONSTANTLY! Statistics are between 85-90% It's one of the reasons Relay operators tend to get bitter, they know it's fraud. IP relays get it the worst because they don't require any special hardware (the way the old stuff did) just a computer with an internet connection.

One of the biggest issues is people out of the country using IP Relays and stolen credit cards to order things to be shipped to them. We get people all the time wanting to place orders via Relay and once I had the call cut by a Relay supervisor advising me (some places I guess can do this, most can't) that the call was following almost exactly the standard pattern for fraud.

As for breaking confidentiality, the story I told I was ...
(continues)
Nikoletta

Jan 13, 2008, 12:30 PM
What in the name of all that is not painful are you talking about? He was laughing (I'm assuming since it makes since) at the "Phone Sex" story, which is funny, that's the point.

Also, Deaf people don't consider themselves handicapped and most would likely be offended that you refer to them that way.

There was nothing wrong with Tut's post, he was asking for more clarification.
captainplooky

Jan 13, 2008, 2:34 PM
Nikoletta said:
Also, Deaf people don't consider themselves handicapped and most would likely be offended that you refer to them that way.

Offended or not, the term is applicable to the deaf.
Nikoletta

Jan 3, 2008, 11:38 PM
One of the really odd (to us anyway) parts is I really don't think the interpretors were as phased by it as most people would be. Most Sign Language interpretors spend years and years pretty much immersed in Deaf culture and have way more fun at their jobs than they should.
chainsaw

Jan 4, 2008, 3:52 AM
We used to have some fraud with the relay service. People would call our stores saying they wanted to buy handsets at retail cost and have them shipped to georgia all paid with a credit card. The calls were originating somewhere out of Africa. Of course, there were some reps in our company dumb enough to comply with their requests, but all we did is educate ourselves on the relay services and start making prank calls. Funny sh!t I tell ya!

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.