Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 28 replies

"Thats what service is..."

shorticusprime

Oct 23, 2007, 4:06 PM
I had a customer call my store (indirect) and ask if we could do phone book swaps. He had 3 phone books to do (on phones he bought online), we normally charge a $10 service fee for a swap, and I offered to do all 3 for $10 thinking I was being nice. He declined to come in.

The customer called me back later and the conversation went like this:

m=me
c=custie

C: I just went to another store and they did my phone book swaps for free.

M: Yes sir, a different store might not charge a fee.

C: Well, I bought my wife a phone while I was there because THATS WHAT SERVICE IS

M: Good for you sir, you have a nice day *click*

Why is it he felt the need the call me back to try to make me feel bad that I have to charge a fee for somet...
(continues)
vzwcripplesphones

Oct 23, 2007, 4:58 PM
Service is:

-not about shoveling crap, cause trust me I always have a bigger shovel.

-not about eating crap, cause nobody likes the taste.

-what you get when don't show up in front of me with an attitude and then think that I get paid to take it.

-what you get when you are willing to realize that there are limitations to what I can do.

-what you get when you realize that being an incoherent and incomprehensible @ss isn't making you any friends.
vzwcripplesphones

Oct 23, 2007, 5:01 PM
Just about all of us charge a fee, it is something that I do for my customers for free on a regular basis. But if they are anything like your guy, I hit them with it. They wanna get snippy those charges can add up real quick... 😈
shorticusprime

Oct 23, 2007, 5:07 PM
Oh yeah, he didnt even come into the store to see me, I was just providing him with information for rates of services rendered.

My bigger issue is the underlying psychology of why he needed to call me back and attempt to make ME feel guilty/bad because of company policies.

Now i'm not new to the wireless industry, or retail in general, but I fail to see how that helps him because whatever he decides to do has no effect on me whatsoever.
mooiscoow

Oct 23, 2007, 5:14 PM
Most customers are like little kids. They believe that if someone else would do it, that means you will too. You know what I think.

What might of happen is this:

He realized that no one would do it for free. He calls you and tells you that someone did it for free, so that way you feel that you can do it too. He comes in a day or two later and ask you to do it for free. You do it, and he feels that he has defeated Big corp america, even if the price is you losing your job.

Grow a backbone, and just stick to the policy no matter what. It is easier that way.
shorticusprime

Oct 23, 2007, 5:29 PM
grow a back bone eh?

I completely believe that he got it done for free. The corp store 20 miles away does it for free. I will not do it for free.
d3ity

Oct 23, 2007, 6:12 PM
I do it for free.... WITH AN UPGRADE.

Then again our company's policy regarding PBT/ Esn exchanges is...

We have a SKU... you get a dollar if you charge them for it... use as you see fit.
shorticusprime

Oct 23, 2007, 6:15 PM
same here. I will not do it for free for a walk in w/ 3 phones he bought elsewhere/on the internet...
ihateeverything

Oct 23, 2007, 6:18 PM
Yeah umm then he got a new line of service 20 miles down the road. But hey as long as phonescoop pats you on the back for sticking it to the man.
shorticusprime

Oct 23, 2007, 6:45 PM
Congratulations. The annonymity of the internet has made you better than all of us.

🤣
ihateeverything

Oct 23, 2007, 7:03 PM
Im not sure how that addresses my point. Oh right youre trying to make fun of my character because you lack an argument for why you suck at selling. Good job good job. If that were me, I would have sold him a phone and given him the free number swap. An option you had but didnt mention because youre just so awesome that losing a sale doesnt matter to you mr awesome internet phone slinger who bitches and moans all day. Take an example from sweater nitters in China who work for pennies an hour yet don't bitch because in a country with balls theyd get shot for being pussies.
shorticusprime

Oct 23, 2007, 8:30 PM
oh man, im not gonna even try to argue that! Priceless.

Also, i dont know what nitting is, but it sounds like a crap job.
Guy Montag

Oct 23, 2007, 9:27 PM
So, how would your phone call go then?

C: Hi do you do phone number swaps for free there?

You: I sure do, but while your at it you can buy a phone!!! *Add sleazy sh!t eaten grin*

Seriously though, with a blind phone call and a direct question like, do you do phone book swaps what would you say that would miraculously land you this sale? Would you leave out the charge till they drive all the way to your store? I personally think that would be a douche thing to do. I support who ever this is for offering a discounted service when she/he could have full well charged $30. A store has to pay for their devices somehow after all. Not to mention the activation likely only netter the other store a wopping $50 after phone loss so whopp...
(continues)
vzwcripplesphones

Oct 23, 2007, 5:16 PM
It just made his inner child feel better to call you back and let you know that he found a better deal. His way of saying, "NA-NA-NA!!!" and trying to rub it in. Ignorant reall, 🙄
d3ity

Oct 23, 2007, 6:00 PM
Yeah, the best part about our POS software (workwireless) is a little button called Increase SRP.

Had a customer come in one day. Got his phone wet. I explained to him that the only way we could get him a new phone (no insurance) was to use his wife's upgrade.

Customer starts kicking and screaming like an angry little girl... leaves the store.

He came back a day later and said, I guess we'll have to do that. Attempted to be very nice to me.

Lets see. I've got to upgrade the phone. Which I guess is a type of ESN change, so I'll tack one of those on there. An esn change in our POS system is $10. Awesome. Increase SRP to $15.

Then I have to switch his wife's new phone to his line... $15

Then I have to switch his wife's o...
(continues)
Kris

Oct 23, 2007, 9:06 PM
I bet THAT made him happy, LOL.
ihateeverything

Oct 23, 2007, 5:09 PM
No offense but if you had that option available to you you should have mentioned it even if you didn't know what his reply would be. The same exact thing you COULD have done got another store a new line of service. Yes the guy is being a dickhead by calling you and bitching triumphantly but it's your fault you didn't keep his business.
shorticusprime

Oct 23, 2007, 5:14 PM
You are possibly right but thats not the point of the thread. Was i complaining that I didnt get the sale? No. Was i attempting to make a comment/get an explanation for some jack ass I have never met/sold a phone tobeing an ass to me? Yes. Would you like to comment on that?
ihateeverything

Oct 23, 2007, 5:27 PM
Yeah notice this line I posted:
"Yes the guy is being a dickhead by calling you and bitching triumphantly but it's your fault you didn't keep his business."

Do you notice the part where it says 'the guy is being a dickhead'? Is that easy for you to read? Or did you forget that too? 😛
shorticusprime

Oct 23, 2007, 5:34 PM
🙄
Guy Montag

Oct 23, 2007, 9:35 PM
ihateeverything said:
No offense but if you had that option available to you you should have mentioned it even if you didn't know what his reply would be.

So he/she should have responded with, "it's normally $30 for three phones but I'm offering it to you for $10, Or maybe free if I feel like it."

That sounds reasonable. 🙄
ralph_on_me

Oct 23, 2007, 5:53 PM
Is that you answered your phone. Whenever I finally do answer my phone, I give vague responses and never quote prices. I'm paid to sell service, and I can't do that over the phone. They need to bring their butt up to see me.
shorticusprime

Oct 23, 2007, 6:08 PM
lol.

I chose the lesser of two evils here. Getting bitched at over the phone or having the guy drive all the way to my store to have a $#!* fit right in front of me.
ralph_on_me

Oct 23, 2007, 6:09 PM
But it's more fun when they've had to waste gas before they start to bitch.
shorticusprime

Oct 23, 2007, 6:10 PM
next time i'll remember your advice.

*throws fuel on the fire*
ralph_on_me

Oct 23, 2007, 6:21 PM
If they're gonna yell, they're gonna yell. You might as well do them a favor and give them something to yell about. You'll both feel better about it when the day is over.
Kris

Oct 23, 2007, 9:09 PM
Yeah somebody wasting gas to come in to a store and make a huge scene not only wastes their time and money, but also makes them look like more of a jackass in front of the other people in the area. It all works out in the end.
jestcuzzgrl

Oct 24, 2007, 8:18 AM
Exactly what I was thinking.. Never give prices on the phone.. It's too easy for a customer to call around.. I mean even Walmart don't do that for anything.. (I'm talking about movies, furniture and etc..)
shorticusprime

Oct 23, 2007, 11:22 PM
is ihateeveryhting raycarrolls bastard child?

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.