Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 7 replies

the sup call

rxymsft

Oct 16, 2007, 11:04 AM
our sups obviously hate taking these calls. so, even if a cust is asking for something you wouldn't usually do, if i think they're going to escalate, i always ask a sup for approval. so my sup says no, and then the cust wants to talk to him...he gets on the phone, AND DOES THE EXACT THING I JUST ASKED ABOUT! which just makes it look like i'm an idiot who doesn't know what they're doing, and further gets the idea ingrained in their heads to immediately ask for a sup so they can get what they want.
ajstrong

Oct 16, 2007, 12:16 PM
welcome to the power-play.
Sprintkitty

Oct 16, 2007, 12:28 PM
People all over are getting trained to rant at managers (or district managers, if the manager won't give 'em what they want). They're learning that if they scream loudly enough at someone high enough it won't matter if they're in the wrong, they'll get what they want.

I guess the same goes for the supervisors in the call centers. It makes it tougher to tell when people _actually_ need the supervisors to help out with the really tough issues.
ac4321

Oct 16, 2007, 1:53 PM
Customers become trained to do that. The trick is you have to train your managers to back you up. My managers know that if they cut my legs out from under me too often that I will just give every difficult situation to them whether the customer requested a manager or not.
😈 🤣
BigShowJB

Oct 16, 2007, 4:46 PM
I was talking to an upset customer about a restocking Fee, and the owner (3rd party dealer) was right behind me talking to one of the other reps, when she said,
"Where is you manager? I want to talk to your supervisor! get him on the phone NOW!"

M: "ma'am there's no need to call him on the phone.."

BC: call him now!!

So I picked up my cell and called the boss's phone right behind me.

M: Boss there is a lady here who would like to speak with you about the restocking fee...

Owner: ok i'll be right there. he turns around and says Ma'am would you like to pay the restocking fee by cash check or credit card?

BC: Well i think I should explain to you what he has said to me!...

O: You don't need to explain anything to m...
(continues)
V4Vengeance

Oct 16, 2007, 10:41 PM
The only time I think sups should do what a previous rep wouldn't is when it involves something beyond the rep's authorization. If it's just a matter of changing a "no" to a "yes" to placate a wildly ranting caller, that undermines the rep who presumably researched the policies before rendering an opinion. It makes the term "empowerment" a catch-phrase devoid of truth, and their months of training dismissable proportionate to a caller's fury. A rule is a rule IMHO; it shouldn't change depending on the title of the person answering the call.
coldouthereND

Oct 16, 2007, 10:43 PM
There are times, though when approval should be given but some supervisors are too rigid in their following of the rules and aren't willing to bend a little...in my experience in the industry there's times where some leway can be made, you just gotta let the customer know that this is a one time thing and make sure you notate it...
ArchAngel028

Oct 17, 2007, 1:56 AM
When I take supervisor calls, I am willing to bend but only if the customer is not irate. The calmer the customer is, the more likely I am to help. But Im not sending out of warranty, sorry

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.