Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 40 replies

Situation

t-monator2

Oct 4, 2007, 1:03 PM
So, i'm helping a customer and just about to finish up. When i'm done, i look over and see my co-worker helping a customer. As soon as i see the customer, i recognize her as my customer i activated very recently. She smiles, says hi to me, and says we came to see you, but you were busy. We're here to add a second phone. Co-worker had not even opened the account yet, just helped them pay a bill. He obviously heard us talking and just ignored the fact that it was my customer. Turns out she couldn't add a line, but her daughter just got one in her own name. Co-worker never gave me the opportunity to step-in and never even brought it up to me later. Just pretended like nothing happened.

I just want other opinions. Should he have let me step ...
(continues)
paddyoc

Oct 4, 2007, 1:06 PM
Kick some @$$. Lert him know that he has to do his own work.
devilsmafia

Oct 4, 2007, 1:09 PM
She came to him because you were busy. It sucks sometimes when that happens, but you can't help everyone all the time. Shouldnt matter if she was your customer in the past, she's now his customer because you were unavailble to help her when she needed it. Not saying that it's your fault, but this is a cutthroat business sometimes and things like that you have to deal with occasionally. Not saying it's right or wrong but it will happen in our industry and there isnt too much we can do to stop it.
paddyoc

Oct 4, 2007, 1:13 PM
I don't agree with you on that point. On a day off, sure. But if you try to snake a sale from me while I'm there, and I am kicking your @$$. I'm the manager now, so if one of my minions try that, with me or each other, I'm transferring everything and giving them opening shifts until they quit or I fire them.
devilsmafia

Oct 4, 2007, 1:21 PM
hehe, so we'll agree to disagree, lol
poweredup

Oct 4, 2007, 1:24 PM
well again i think its about teamwork, i have assigned 2 activations to my coworker when she left early for the day. now if they would have came in and never said her name then they would have been mine, but they did ask for her and i would want someone to do the same for me if they would ask for me.
paddyoc

Oct 4, 2007, 1:27 PM
Common courtesy.
ajstrong

Oct 4, 2007, 4:33 PM
what's that? 😉

in my company, you need specific information to have a sale put in your name when you're not there, or when you're busy. if you're busy, and someone comes in with a card and info, you're usually good to go, unless the punk working with you is a complete sell-out (read: 1 out of 2 in our company). if you're NOT there(we have more than one store in town, and we work all stores), I would trust 4 people to give me my sale. out of alot more than that. that's common courtesy where I come from, sadly.
bethfornow

Oct 5, 2007, 12:10 PM
Unfortunatly, there is no such thing as common curtasy. I had a girl I work with come over and start activating a phone for a friend of mine WHILE my friend and I were chatting!!! How F***ed is that?!?! I didn't want to make a scene in front of the customer so i let her finish. I wish I hadent now.
d3ity

Oct 5, 2007, 2:01 PM
We have a mechanism in our POS that allows us to split sales. If a customer comes in and mentions they spoke to another rep by name I split 75 me/ 25 the other rep.

If they mention a specific model of phone, it's 50/50 split.

Thats usually the way I do it at least. Technically I don't have to do the 75/25 split but I'd rather do it that way and avoid having anyone pissed at me.

But really, in my days at radioshack splits were unheard of.
labellavita

Feb 12, 2008, 12:39 PM
at my store if a cust comes in and you run credit or if they are an existing cust you show phones/plans they are your cust. it is a cutthroat industry but there is only 5 of us so you will get your @ss kicked acting like that here
Cellinovation

Oct 4, 2007, 1:13 PM
However, people that work within the same store/Kiosk are a team. ANY customer that you work with belongs to you. If you are unavailable they should process the sale for you, there will be a time when you will need to do it for someone else. This is how we do things in my store, and there are days that we make money when we are not even here.

Talk to them, Establish rules, be happy 🙂
paddyoc

Oct 4, 2007, 1:17 PM
If your company is that bad where you have to steal sales from others, then you need to find a better employer.
t-monator2

Oct 4, 2007, 1:18 PM
The point is, at the time she said something to me, no sales process had taken place. I was available and could he could have easily handed them over no problem. I'm new to this store, but have worked in many retail sales jobs and other stores within this company. in any other place they would have been handed off.
paddyoc

Oct 4, 2007, 1:26 PM
Talk to your manager immediately.
uscellchick87

Oct 4, 2007, 1:42 PM
That really stinks and i'm sorry you have to deal with that. I agree with Paddy you really should say something.

I don't have to worry about that with my current agent and its great. If this happens at my store she splits the commission. Maybe you should see if your company might be willing to do something like that. Good luck!
Lapdog

Oct 4, 2007, 2:18 PM
didn't want to wait, then you didn't make that great of an impression for them to wait for you.

The other person was well within his right to do it, unless "your customer" wanted to wait for you.

Quit whining...

As we all know, what goes around comes around...
ajstrong

Oct 4, 2007, 4:35 PM
huh.... here here
Ask The Shack

Oct 5, 2007, 7:47 AM
Are you serious? So if the customer sees that you're in a situation where it's OBVIOUSLY going to take about 30 minutes, or more to resolve, they should wait for you, and let the other reps sit on their hands?

Bullsh!t! I'm sure if one of your customers that you have been working with for the past week or so, on and off came in, and spoke to your co-worker, and he got the sale, you would be pissed. Don't tell me that you would be fine, and dandy because you lost a sale because the customer didn't want to wait 30 minutes because you're dealing with someone else.

luckily in my store, I worked with a bunch of good guys who didn't rob me of sales like a lot of you back stabbing ass clowns!
motodude69

Oct 5, 2007, 8:07 AM
Lapdog said:
...As we all know, what goes around comes around...

I agree with Lapdog, on the sales floor, some of your customers might go to another rep. but their customers might come to you.

But let me get something straight. You would want the other rep. to sit on his/her hands after you finished up with another customer and then you came and took YOUR customer from them or even have the customer wait??

It just sounds greedy to me that someone would fight someone else over a customer/new activation. Now if that same customer came in to pay a bill or needed some account maintanance, I doubt that you would jump out of your way once you were done with your last customer to take away your customer...
(continues)
Lapdog

Oct 5, 2007, 9:08 PM
Ask The Shack said:
I'm sure if one of your customers that you have been working with for the past week or so, on and off came in

A week or so? You're selling a phone, not a ****ing mortgage. Once again, if you haven't impressed that customer too much that he/she won't wai, then you're not as good as you imagine...
Guy Montag

Oct 5, 2007, 9:42 PM
Lapdog said:
Ask The Shack said:
I'm sure if one of your customers that you have been working with for the past week or so, on and off came in

A week or so? You're selling a phone, not a ****ing mortgage. Once again, if you haven't impressed that customer too much that he/she won't wai, then you're not as good as you imagine...

And probably do not deserve the sale. Half the time these people that poke in and out aren't dealing with just one person anyways and commonly need everything reiterated to them. In my store it's who ever is free gets the sale.
Ask The Shack

Feb 12, 2008, 9:26 AM
Guy Montag said:
Lapdog said:
Ask The Shack said:

And probably do not deserve the sale. Half the time these people that poke in and out aren't dealing with just one person anyways and commonly need everything reiterated to them. In my store it's who ever is free gets the sale.

Sometimes a sale is more complected then "I need X phone with ...
(continues)
Astronaut HS 88

Feb 12, 2008, 9:31 AM
You do realize this thread is over 4 months old, right?
devilsmafia

Oct 5, 2007, 9:19 AM
Enough Said!!!
sckoisks17

Oct 4, 2007, 3:31 PM
My store has a "customer log" where we write down the names and home/cell numbers of people we talk to, along with what we tried to/did sell them. Then we place those in seperate folders and make sure the customer references us if they come back and we're not here or too busy with another customer. If this is a constant problem in your store, maybe you can suggest something like that to your manager.
ajstrong

Oct 4, 2007, 4:36 PM
🤣

o, you were serious? we have those too; if they EVER get looked at, it's b/c you're in the store at the same time, and the person you're working with has a gun pressed into their back.
ihateeverything

Oct 4, 2007, 4:44 PM
That sounds ridiculously redundant and unnecessary can't they just view your sales log to see how good you are? 😁
ihateeverything

Oct 4, 2007, 4:42 PM
I believe if a customer gets one line, then comes back for another, the person who did the first one gets the sale no matter if they are busy or not. Because lets face it, all he has to do is enter a code for you and he's right next to you. However if theyre not there that day and the customer does not specify the person then it's open for whoever. Yeah I'll go with that.
Globhead

Oct 6, 2007, 4:25 AM
The right thing seems obvious in this situation, but it gets fuzzy really fast.

How long does the other employee have to work with "your" customer, while you sell to someone else, and still hand them back to you? And exactly how long after the first sale do they remain "your" customer (1 day? 1 week?

I also agree with Lapdog--if the customer doesn't care enough to try waiting 30 seconds to talk to you again, they made the choice. Customers don't like being passed off after they start on something, so respect their convenience.

Don't dismiss the other employee's time either. Time is everything for sales. Every minute they spend working for you is a minute they could have been snagging another customer who was about to shrug and w...
(continues)
t-monator2

Oct 6, 2007, 9:11 AM
The guy was with my customer helping them figure out the bill payment machine for maybe 5 minutes. Then walked them over to check their add on eligibility. Before the account was even pulled up the customer and I had the convo, right in front of him. I have seen this same co-worker do shady things on several occasions in the past.
Lapdog

Oct 6, 2007, 10:07 AM
You say shady, others don't. Let it go.

You aren't special.
uscellchick87

Oct 6, 2007, 10:16 AM
You probably don't understand because you have never been in the situation before. It is not cool. It doesn't really matter if we agree with the poster or not but they still have the right to post without being told to shut up or get over it.
Lapdog

Oct 6, 2007, 10:20 AM
uscellchick87 said:
You probably don't understand because you have never been in the situation before.

Having been in sales for many moon more than you've been alive, I know I have been in the situation...

uscellchick87 said:
It is not cool.

Sorry, I guess I'm just not "cool"...

uscellchick87 said:
they still have the right to post without being told to shut up or get over it.

and I don't?
uscellchick87

Oct 6, 2007, 10:33 AM
I guess you think the 87 in my name is my birth year.....wrong! Anyway my post wasn't meant be an attack on you unlike your post to me. I was simply giving a point of view that maybe you had not thought of.
Lapdog

Oct 6, 2007, 10:37 AM
either way, I've been on both sides...
just_asking

Oct 6, 2007, 10:03 AM
Look at it this way,

If "Your" custy walked in and you and your co-worker were not busy and the custy asked to pay a bill, 1) Would you jump in and "say your my customer, I'll help you" 2) If while your co-worker was helping "Your" customer, another customer walks in and buys 5 phones, would you keep all 5 phones, share the sale, or give to co-worker because if he/she hadn't been helping "your" customer the co-worker would of had the sale.

That being said! The custy did say I came back to see you (so you impressed enough to come back) but not enough to wait. The co-worker at that time should of handed over, as long as he/she had not started the presentation. If the co-worker was already in the sale, maybe a split is the best way t...
(continues)
pimpdaddy008

Feb 12, 2008, 1:13 PM
its a touchy situation. I think you need to have a talk with each other and agree on a policy that your both happy with before you get to that situation. I never cared cause it works both ways sometimes. I always had the most sales and most people only wanted to deal with me and would wait most of the time. My co-worker happens to be a close friend so a few bucks is not worth our friendship and i wanted to push people to him.
Grim Reaper

Feb 12, 2008, 3:52 PM
If they haven't talked since October, I doubt they are going to talk now....IMO.
Bufford T. Justice

Feb 12, 2008, 3:13 PM
The necroposting has begun!!!
tgoace

Feb 13, 2008, 12:27 AM
t-monator2 said:
So, i'm helping a customer and just about to finish up. When i'm done, i look over and see my co-worker helping a customer. As soon as i see the customer, i recognize her as my customer i activated very recently. She smiles, says hi to me, and says we came to see you, but you were busy. We're here to add a second phone. Co-worker had not even opened the account yet, just helped them pay a bill. He obviously heard us talking and just ignored the fact that it was my customer. Turns out she couldn't add a line, but her daughter just got one in her own name. Co-worker never gave me the opportunity to step-in and never even brought it up to me later. Just pretended like nothing happened.

I just want other
(continues)

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.