Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 12 replies

Salespeople who don't really want to be Salespeople (long)

MoZamboni

Aug 1, 2007, 4:53 PM
Hey, just a question in general, nothing about dealers or companies or anything like that.

I am in cell phone sales because it is honestly a fun job for the most part. The hours are OK, and helping customers is satisfying especially when they come out and thank you for it. The pay can be good and the benefits (at least for me) are great, better than most Fortune 500 companies.

But what makes me not want to be a salesperson, is when you look around, more times than not, the successful ones seem like their morals have whethered away over time. I mean seriously, if a person says they don't want a feature the first 5 f****ng times, why keep asking them and pissing them off? If 70-year old woman can't even dial correctly - why does the ...
(continues)
mooiscoow

Aug 1, 2007, 5:07 PM
No, thankfully I am in a position where I don't have to, but I see it going on around us. I swear customers spend most of their time checking after me making sure I don' tsecretly add anything to their account.
Nikoletta

Aug 1, 2007, 5:35 PM
Morals and Karma... I have way too much personal integrity to sell out. I am careful to the point of being neurotic about being honest. So I guess really it's the Crazy In My Brain.
justink2006

Aug 1, 2007, 6:43 PM
I agree with you. I promsied my self i will never lie to the customers. i may not get more sales than guy who lies to get sells, but as long my customers are happy, i dont mind.if i found myself in aplace where i have to loose my intergrity to make sales. i will quit that job.
Nikoletta

Aug 1, 2007, 7:06 PM
Part of the reason I HATE sales so much, is you really do have to lie to do well and they write you up if your numbers aren't good. Mostly the people I deal with say I'm refreshing because I say silly things like "Well honestly? No... it's not a great deal. BUT it's better than what you'll get at the store." I usually end up telling them things I shouldn't. Oh Well.
TmoBrett

Aug 1, 2007, 9:01 PM
It does get disgusting to see the dishonest succeed while the rest of us struggle. No one cares if you are the "top honest seller" there's not prize for that, you don't get paid more for sales just because you did them right. It all comes down to percentages in the end and if yours are there then they will look the other way for the most part. I've been doing QAs for a while now and no one really takes time to tell you that your doing your job well, it mostly seems to be a quantity over quality thing. It's terribly unfortunate because it's easy to sell when you don't give complete and accurate information or answer objections. While I may be able to afford new sheets and pillows by doing that, I definitley wouldn't be able to sleep at night,...
(continues)
ajstrong

Aug 2, 2007, 8:43 AM
I HATE sales, but I enjoy sleeping at night...I have on a few occasions priced things so that "individual" sales would be a tad more profitable, and that doesn't sit well with me, but I do not, DO NOT put things on the account that customers do not want on there. those that do in my company are lauded, as we all know, but I'm not sure where their conscience has gone.
WhoDey

Aug 1, 2007, 11:54 PM
We have a guy in our store. He is like that, his standard speech is "Now every phone I sell has to have insurance and text messaging on it, now these are things you can call and have removed as early as tomorrow if you want, but they have to be activated with the phone."

I want to beat him in the face with a pipe every time.. and the bad thing is, this has come from management, theyve got everyone doing it. His data and TEP attachment are in the high 90% range. Thats BS, in reality about 50% of people want those things, the other 30% (our goal is 80%, which is too high anyhow) you have to sell them on the features. Anything above 80%, and youre lying to get there. And its not like he's making money on them, our chargebacks are 180 day...
(continues)
ralph_on_me

Aug 2, 2007, 7:53 AM
"requiring" someone to buy insurance or even implying that it's required is illegal. Tell that to your regional VP and see how long they're encouraging people to say that.
ajstrong

Aug 2, 2007, 8:39 AM
if it's RadioShmak, they don't care. it's a numbers game, ralph, and with RS, as long as the numbers on the front end are there, woo-hoo for the idiot that's doing it.
ralph_on_me

Aug 2, 2007, 8:56 AM
I'm pretty sure insurance is federally regulated... I'd be very concerned with having the government on my @ss.
lisakay96

Aug 2, 2007, 12:51 PM
😁 ah- it feels so good to not be in sales - and not to have to sell anything- just straight customer service!!! I still have to put up with lots of idiots though!! 😡
sckoisks17

Aug 2, 2007, 3:07 PM
ajstrong said:
if it's RadioShmak, they don't care. it's a numbers game, ralph, and with RS, as long as the numbers on the front end are there, woo-hoo for the idiot that's doing it.

Way to generalize there, buddy. I'm a RadioShack associate, and I haven't used any sort of shady operations to make more on a sale - really, I don't need to. That's not the way I was trained, not the way my manager was trained, and not the way my DM was trained. Now would you kindly STFU with the namecalling?

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.