Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 14 replies

Stop writing checks!

Athanatoi

Jun 2, 2007, 11:41 AM
For f***'s sake...

Don't you have a debit card? We process checks electronically, so it's the exact same result, but it takes 1/3rd of the time!

AND

WHY do you insist on filling out the rest of the check when I TELL you that the check will be filled electronically, so you don't have to write it out?

"Sorry, it's habit" is NOT a good reason to spend the next 5 minutes attaching your John Hancock to a piece of paper that I'm just going to hand right back to you.

GET A DEBIT CARD! 👿
d3ity

Jun 2, 2007, 11:59 AM
Checks are the single most annoying concept in retail. The customer takes 25 minutes to fill one out, only for me to explain that we cannot take a check for a deposit... Even after that, they try and hand me thier drivers liscence as if I can accept it... Every single bank in the country will give you a piece of plastic with Visa or Mastercard stamped on it that's linked to your bank account.

Makes you wonder if people are completley missing those new Visa commercials where everyone is tossing products around and running through the checkout line...
krickt

Jun 2, 2007, 12:09 PM
I write checks only when I know for sure I'm pissing someone off. Otherwise it's either cash or debit.

So if you know me, and I'm writing a check in your store, it's either because I want to be slow and annoying or my daughter has snagged my card again and I can't find it!
ajstrong

Jun 2, 2007, 12:12 PM
I usually try to 'gasp' interrupt them as they're searching for their next check, and let them know that we can save them a check if they have a card, b/c blah blah blah.

most people are happy to save checks. I'm not sure why...
krickt

Jun 2, 2007, 12:13 PM
I use 'em because they are cute/cool. Plus it really annoys the automatic check out lady when you use them!
d3ity

Jun 2, 2007, 12:14 PM
Anyone who thinks wasting 10 minutes of my time to write a check is cute/cool should be hit by the nearest bus.
krickt

Jun 2, 2007, 12:21 PM
lol. We don't have busses like that down here. The only busses we see are school busses and the occasional grey hound (we had 3 come through town last year!)
ajstrong

Jun 2, 2007, 12:24 PM
three, wow!!

I would hate to be the employee of a restaurant that has the marquee "Buses welcome!" 👿
krickt

Jun 2, 2007, 12:28 PM
Not many Marquees around here. Only 5 restarants if you count sonic and taco mayo.
Bock

Jun 2, 2007, 12:31 PM
Banks run a basic credit/past bad checks screening when they open an account. If they find a discrepancy, they can very easily deny the use of a debit card.

Most of the time, they'll give you one after you've shown you can be responsible, but its no guarantee.

I'd assume that if the person doesn't look like they're 80, this is the case.
d3ity

Jun 2, 2007, 12:26 PM
I live in a similar town... however, the store i'm currently in is downtown in a nearby "city"... so.. I just watched 3 greyhounds go by. I guess they're hitting all my customers. I've been here since 9:30 and I haven't had even one person even take a look at the 9.99 add a line sign outside, much less walk in the door.
krickt

Jun 2, 2007, 12:30 PM
So you wouldn't take their check (assuming they didn't have a deposit) for some business?

I'm just picking on ya, honey. And yes, I love to annoy people, especially if they aren't smart enough to hide their annoyance until I'm gone.
jalanjalaning

Jun 2, 2007, 12:05 PM
preach on!
Athanatoi

Jun 2, 2007, 12:26 PM
aw.... Lordy Lordy!
angelgirl1085

Jun 2, 2007, 12:33 PM
heh...im glad i dont work in a store where i have people arguing with me over why i won't take their check..."company policy ma'am" "well your policy sucks" "i'm sorry you feel that way i'd be happy to take your credit card though"...geez lol

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.