Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 18 replies

What would you do in this situation?

phoneyphonephone

Mar 29, 2007, 10:46 AM
Before I start this, I just want to say I'm not... making fun of the mentally challenged. Ok? Ok.

A woman comes up and starts looking at the phones on display around the kiosk. I watch her for maybe, 20 seconds and then walk over and say hi. She asks me what my cheapest telephone is. I tell her .01. She says she wants it. Doesn't want to see it, doesn't ask about plans. Nothing. 😕 I can tell by the way she is talking and acting that is she is not right. She keeps telling me she just went to the doctor for one thing or another... Anyway, after all that she couldn't find her ID.
But my question is, what should I have done had she found her ID? Should I have run credit, and let her get a phone? (had she been approved, that is) Or should...
(continues)
robtheman

Mar 29, 2007, 10:49 AM
Why not? I've sold phones to retarded people in the past. They always have the blessing of their family or caretaker. Every time, it's been an "in case of emergency" situation. Really though, if they want one, why not sell them one?
krickt

Mar 29, 2007, 10:50 AM
lol, happens everyday! I've got a lady in my store right now that wants a penny phone, and she has her DL, her ssc, two marriage certs, her birth cert, and her commitment papers (for the local halfway house) spread across my desk. The deposit came back $600 and she is arguing that is not fair since we have advertised a penny phone. She's been here for about 45 minutes. I can't get her to leave. Not even if I ignore her while I type to you guys!
phoneyphonephone

Mar 29, 2007, 11:03 AM
$600!
You're USCC Aren't you?? I've never seen one that high!!
krickt

Mar 29, 2007, 11:16 AM
I've seen 4, total in almost three years, and two of them this week.

UPDATE. She left, but only after our local police drove by once and stopped in to get video tape. As soon as my new best friend stepped in the door, she stopped talking, and gathered her things and left.

I asked the police why she should be so scared of them, they said that her family (the ones that commited her) had bought cars and houses and things in her name, and then told her that the collection people were looking for her to put her in jail for being stupid. She's afraid that every police officer is coming to get her.

I'm feeling kinda sorry for her, now.
phoneyphonephone

Mar 29, 2007, 11:17 AM
😲 woah!! thats mean!!
krickt

Mar 29, 2007, 11:24 AM
Not any meaner than the teenager I had in here. She turned 18 in December, and last week, when she ran her credit, she had a $400 deposit because she had 6 credit cards and hadn't made a payment on one yet! Her mother did it to her. (Her mother was sitting right next to her and admitted it.)
phoneyphonephone

Mar 29, 2007, 11:30 AM
Holy hell! 😲
How could she even do that if the kid wasn't 18!?!
krickt

Mar 29, 2007, 2:21 PM
Her mother did it starting the day she turned 18, 4 months ago. I did tell her mother that was fraud, and she could get in serious trouble for that. She said "She won't turn me in, she loves me! Besides, she owes me a credit card or two for all the stuff I've had to buy her for the last 18 years." My jaw hit the desk, I'm sure.

I told her to watch out, that the credit card companies could get her with or without her daughter's consent. I'm still trying to decide what to do about it. The police didn't think I could do anything.
sweetsoprano

Mar 29, 2007, 6:11 PM
Sadly, the mother's probably right...the daughter ain't gonna tell...
This was done to me when I turned 18...I had no idea about credit and how it worked and how accounts that very close relatives sign up for in your name with no intention of ever paying can impact that...it's a point of contention between me and the person who did that, but reporting them to the authorities, while it crossed my mind, is something that just isn't done in my family... ☚ī¸ I have a credit monitoring service now, and I get my reports all the time, so I know exactly what is on there at any given time. As for that person...karma's a motha
skippyvan

Mar 31, 2007, 11:42 AM
yeah i think its higher for retards or something.
Foamy

Mar 29, 2007, 10:55 AM
If she's competent enough to be in your store alone, then she should be competent enough to comprehend contracts and responsibility.

I would sell it to her. Just don't be surprised if it comes back.
Lapdog

Mar 29, 2007, 11:01 AM
I agree with Foamy.
phoneyphonephone

Mar 29, 2007, 11:04 AM
But if I already know it's going to come back, why sell it in the first place?
longsleeves

Mar 29, 2007, 11:25 AM
Tell her its a potato peeler she'll never know the difference.
cm8023

Mar 29, 2007, 11:34 AM
Because she may actually need the phone. Even retards 🤤 get stuck in situations that they may need to call someone. If you don't sell it to her, she wouldn't have it to call for a ride when the short bus gets a flat 😉

It's a joke. Don't bother bashing me
craptacularwireless

Mar 29, 2007, 6:28 PM
Activate it, it's what she wants. She's obviously not extremely retarded if she can drive and stuff.
spidermon

Apr 1, 2007, 11:02 AM
I would it makes a great story. 😎
youngxlos

Apr 3, 2007, 6:31 PM
of course you should i have sold many phonoes to mentally challenged and also deaf people just make sure you clearly explain the bill and return policy and how it works if they need help and then you wont have any problems and you will make your money

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.