Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 12 replies

Just when you thought you have heard it all........

jenlll

Mar 22, 2007, 2:29 PM
🤣

work for Cingular....corporate...second customer to start off my day has lost her phone and has to go thru all the details of what she thought happened to it.....blah blah blah...she than tells me that she found it, but was certain her grandkids had gotten a hold of it and it was now broken.....OK.....so now everyone HERE comes the best part......She hands me a VERIZON phone....and tells me that she wants to use this phone on her Cingular account. I was like that is impossible. SHE goes on to INFORM ME that it is FEDERAL LAW that any carrier HAS to update/reformat ANY PHONE to work on ANY service. I was like are f'ing kidding me. I said....oh no.....I have never heard of such a law...and in fact, Verizon and Cingular are on two tot...
(continues)
krickt

Mar 22, 2007, 2:44 PM
The FCC is trying to pass some regs saying that the different companies have to allow for customers getting their phones unlocked with no penalties, but it's run into a few snags, not the least of which is that GSM and CDMA do not mix for any reason, even if they are unlocked.

Just ask her to bring a print out of said law with the police next time.
jenlll

Mar 22, 2007, 2:58 PM
I just found it to be very entertaining........laws that are supposed to pass have nothing to do with now and I would like to see how anyone plans on re-configuring a Verizon phone to work on Cingular and vice versa. Anyways, just another laugh.
goodbyejack

Mar 23, 2007, 9:07 AM
I love it when customers tell me how to do my job. Listen Mr. Customer, I dont come to your work when your making burgers and tell you how to cook, so shut up
krickt

Mar 23, 2007, 9:45 AM
It's getting very difficult not to laugh in their faces. I had a gentleman a few weeks ago tell me that they were amending the constituion to include computers and cellphones as basic rights. He was a serious as he could be and I did laugh at him. He looked at me funny then left. He told another one of my customer that it was rude of me to not hand him a free phone since it was going to be a law soon anyway. I still giggle about that!
jenlll

Mar 26, 2007, 1:02 PM
😁
Anytime a person works in a field that deals directly with the public....you have to expect a certain amount of morons. I sort of enjoy them, as they make me laugh immensely. If they do pass this supposed law....I cannot see how every wireless carrier can be expected to partake in it, not with the different networks. Verizon, in my opinion, will never go GSM and Sprint, well they just plain suck.
Athanatoi

Mar 26, 2007, 2:01 PM
Yeah, well, you just plain suck! 😛

Yes, there is a federal law.

That law only applies to GSM phones. All GSM phones are required to be unlockable by federal law.

CDMA phones do not have to abide by that policy, however.
jenlll

Mar 26, 2007, 4:55 PM
I was unaware that this law was actually passed. Can you provide where you are getting this information? Just curious considering this law was supposed to be currently under review. Thanks.
paddyoc

Mar 26, 2007, 6:02 PM
Read a newspaper.... 😲
jenlll

Mar 26, 2007, 7:17 PM
OK.....
Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Victory for cell phone users
Ruling allows them to break 'lock' and switch carriers

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/293875_unlock28. ... »

you have anything more recent....this law has nothing to do with a carrier having to do anything to unlock a phone....this simply states that a consumer is not violating any trademarking by having their phone unlocked and that they have the right to do so.....either by paying out of pocket thru a third party or by having a kind and generous wireless provider.

Got anything more recent on this
paddyoc

Mar 27, 2007, 11:06 AM
Stupid Chicago Tribune online, they want you to register or pay, but regardless, the law has not passed yet, and only applies to GSM devices. People are ignorant, and will continue to try and pass off something they think that they heard as law, but it wis just another example of people thinking they can do what they want when they want to.
jenlll

Mar 27, 2007, 6:07 PM
well someone posted me on here to read a newspaper because this mandatory unlocking was an actual law that has been passed. i am just trying to stay up on this crap so i can shut customers up when they come in making crap up.
sweetsoprano

Mar 26, 2007, 2:02 PM
I would have laughed right in his face, too... 🤣 "well, sir, till they actually pass this law, that phone you're eyeing will be $$$. Will that be Visa, Mastercard...."

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.