Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 48 replies

Question for people in call centers

robtheman

Mar 21, 2007, 9:17 PM
I have a question regarding policy. It's more out of curiosity than anything. I'm sure that you deal with the weirdest situations because people generally think they can get away with more on the phone than they can in real life. My question is: if you hear something that is questionable behavior (abuse, drug deals, anything illegal), what's the proper course of action? Do you report it to a supervisor? Do you have authorization to go straight to a police officer? What are the rules and regulations behind that?
yodude

Mar 21, 2007, 9:18 PM
We report it to a supervisor, record the call if possible and from there the supervisor will alert the authorities with our help answering any questions.
alejandro

Mar 21, 2007, 9:35 PM
you guys narc on customers?
yodude

Mar 21, 2007, 9:37 PM
If its an issue like that, by law, we have to report it.
alejandro

Mar 21, 2007, 9:38 PM
Wow
Q_Q_Q

Mar 21, 2007, 9:41 PM
if we don't do that in my call center we get fired on the spot
robtheman

Mar 21, 2007, 9:41 PM
How would they know? Do they listen to the recordings of every call at night?
alejandro

Mar 21, 2007, 9:43 PM
really... you can say someone is on drugs all you want, but there is no way to tell if they are really on drugs. That's a pretty "b*tch" policy. what company is that?
Q_Q_Q

Mar 21, 2007, 9:54 PM
the "almighty" cingular 🙄
robmacatt

Mar 26, 2007, 5:40 PM
hey you would say that about any call center representing there carrier. it's not the carrier it's the policy. any one can say that about sprint, t=mobile, verizon. and any other carrier for that matter. what counts is that they do the best at customer service. make it timely if possible. make it seamless, do it right the first time, and meet are commitments. The Almighty cingular truely is.
Q_Q_Q

Mar 21, 2007, 9:55 PM
typically they record one of every three calls here and filter them out either that night of sometime that week
alejandro

Mar 21, 2007, 9:57 PM
Well i understand that you have to follow policy, i just think its a horrible policy. I have never and will never do drugs, but i think that is something that shouldn't happen.
Q_Q_Q

Mar 21, 2007, 9:58 PM
ive gotten those calls before i told my sup about it when i did and he listened to it and just deleted it, but theyve fired people here before for that
robtheman

Mar 21, 2007, 10:00 PM
That sucks. Maybe I'll call customer service some time and just be extremely obnoxious on purpose.
Q_Q_Q

Mar 22, 2007, 3:40 PM
ive done that just to see how long i could keep the rep on the line for 😁
yodude

Mar 21, 2007, 9:42 PM
yup.
robtheman

What company do you work for?
Derek0550

Mar 25, 2007, 12:31 AM
There is no way to tell if someone is on drugs or not, even if you think so, its all "here-say". Give an example that you had that you thought someone was using drugs or you 'suspected' or if you know someone that reported it. I don't think you can because you have no evidence unless it recorded them saying, "I am going to sell this guy crack".. And plus people are smarter then that because they all use slang. It'll be very rare for you to catch someone. I am on the phone 5 days a week 8 hrs. day and I never heard anything about selling drugs or anything out of the ordinary.

There was one call where a dumb ass called on his cell phone to report a bomb in our building. The lady that took the call got all of his info and reported to the po...
(continues)
Crapbag

I called the cops on some dudes once when working at a subway. They came in so drunk they could barely walk, purchased some beer and food all the while telling me they were on their way north about 80 miles. When they left I called the cops as I couldn't in good conscience allow them to drive on a busy highway in the middle of the day in that condition.
robtheman

Mar 21, 2007, 9:44 PM
What does that have to do with call centers?
alejandro

Mar 21, 2007, 9:45 PM
he is just relating another story, i can see how his situation is warranted, call center people reporting customers for substance abuse in their own homes is so very messed it it is beyond reprehensible.
robtheman

Mar 21, 2007, 9:47 PM
That's true, BUT...

The reason I initially asked was because I'm thinking about writing a script about a guy that works in a call center and has to deal with an internal struggle because of these questionable things that go on in call centers. I just don't know if it would work or not because I don't know the policies.
alejandro

Mar 21, 2007, 9:52 PM
Wow, you need to find a job outside of phones, its going to consume you.
robtheman

🙂

I'm a full time student and published author. I think I could make this part of a one man show that I'm working on. It doesn't have anything to do with being consumed in the industry.
Q_Q_Q

these places are horrible on those of us with morality, i personally hate when i have to lie to someone to make a sale or to just get a pissed off customer off the phone
robtheman

Mar 21, 2007, 9:58 PM
I wish I had that option in the store. What situation would make you lie?
Q_Q_Q

when we were outbound here they used to tell us to do whatever it took to make the sale, they even went so far as to tell us ways to lie to the cust and how to defend our lies
alejandro

Mar 21, 2007, 10:02 PM
yes, all terms of service also list that they are not liable of promises by reps.
robtheman

Mar 21, 2007, 10:03 PM
Yikes. If I did that, I'd have tons of angry customers coming back to yell at me every day. I never lie to people because it's not worth the headache.
alejandro

Mar 21, 2007, 10:04 PM
yes, but in a call center nobody will remember your name and other employees know what's going on. its like threatening someone on the internet, what is really going to happen?
robtheman

Mar 21, 2007, 10:06 PM
Good point. Stupid call centers.
alejandro

Someone just not going away would do it.
Crapbag

Mar 21, 2007, 10:01 PM
alejandro said:
he is just relating another story, i can see how his situation is warranted, call center people reporting customers for substance abuse in their own homes is so very messed it it is beyond reprehensible.

Agreed as its not illegal to abuse substances in your own home unless the use there of encroaches upon the liberties of someone else in that same home. For instance if you have children, the use of mind altering drugs could then encroach upon that child's right to the pursuit of happiness.
robtheman

Mar 21, 2007, 10:03 PM
My ass. That child would be all kinds of happy if he got some of the drugs.
Crapbag

Mar 21, 2007, 10:04 PM
Lol, CPS may have issues with it though.
robtheman

Mar 21, 2007, 10:05 PM
If they took away the drugs once the child was dependent on them, they would be interfering with the child's right to pursue happiness.
acthrellis

Mar 23, 2007, 10:12 AM
LMAO

I love free-speech
mapleleaf88

Mar 22, 2007, 9:27 AM
Crapbag said:
I called the cops on some dudes once when working at a subway. They came in so drunk they could barely walk, purchased some beer and food.

Subway serves beer?! Where do you live?!!!
jestcuzzgrl

Mar 23, 2007, 10:22 AM
I hate drunk drivers! My mom use to drive drunk with me and my sister in the car. 👿
alejandro

Mar 25, 2007, 11:43 AM
if you were my kid i would drink too.
DigAHole

Mar 22, 2007, 9:18 AM
Um, when I worked in a call center, nothing was said to me about anything like that?? I heard people pulling bongs in the background, I never called 911 and cried to the cops. Maybe things have changed? That was like 3 years ago.

But, if some idiot told me he did something really bad (kidnap, rape, etc.) I would inform the police. Just a moral issue. Anyway, you hear weird sh*t all the time when you work on the phones, so you can't take everything literally. I had death threats, I didn't call the FBI...
longsleeves

Mar 22, 2007, 12:47 PM
Ignoe it , we are an outsourced vender for Cingular.
Q_Q_Q

Mar 22, 2007, 3:41 PM
caught you
babyrayb

Mar 22, 2007, 3:16 PM
I work at a Sprint/Nextel call center. We dont have ANY policies about abuse, drug deals, or anything else illegal as far as reporting a customer.
robtheman

Mar 22, 2007, 4:04 PM
Good to know, thanks.
Nikoletta

Mar 22, 2007, 8:44 PM
At BigPink we report it to our supervisor too, they pull the call (every call we have is recorded) and decide what to do with it from there. Not a lot we can do really, considering we pretty much have to have permission to go to the bathroom around here.
ZombieJ

Mar 25, 2007, 5:57 AM
rat.
alejandro

Mar 25, 2007, 4:37 PM
ooooh, you called him the C word....

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.