Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 58 replies

No, you won't be getting that back.

Nikoletta

Feb 4, 2007, 6:44 PM
So the caller (I won't call him a customer) had service with us about three months ago... when we first set him up he had to pay a $400 deposit... And apparently he didn't bother to read up on what that meant...

Well big surprise when he was canceled for non-payment, lost the deposit...

Now he's come back and paid off what he owes and wants to know why he isn't getting the deposit back...

What?

The deposit only comes back to you if you make it a full year without getting shut down (not just suspended, he was collections status.) It doesn't matter if you pay off what you owed us, the deposit was what you put up saying "I promise to pay my bills on something that resembles a regular basis." and only get back if you keep that promi...
(continues)
kiosk_hell

Feb 4, 2007, 6:55 PM
I'd say a good 50% of customers who are required to pay a deposit have absolutely NO CLUE what a deposit means (I can tell when their eyes glaze over when I mention it, or when they reply, "oh no, I don't have a deposit." Really, 'cause my computer says you do). I always explain that they will get it back after a year as long as their account is in good standing. There are always the geniuses like your guy who feel that three NONCONSECUTIVE months without service interruption = upholding their end of the agreement.

Really makes you appreciate those rare customers who come up and say, "I want to start service, my credit sucks and I know I'm paying a huge deposit, let's do this".
felixthecat86

Feb 4, 2007, 7:00 PM
you are 100 percent correct! I've lost so much potential commission on customers who won't pay the deposit. It seems so rare to get new customers with good credit 😢
kiosk_hell

Feb 4, 2007, 7:02 PM
We got so desperate last month that my manager was allowing us to give service credits to take the sting out of deposits. So they would pay their $150 or whatever up front, but we were giving credits to the account of $50 or $100 just to close the sale.
lefteyeiu2006

Feb 5, 2007, 7:46 AM
kiosk_hell said:
We got so desperate last month that my manager was allowing us to give service credits to take the sting out of deposits. So they would pay their $150 or whatever up front, but we were giving credits to the account of $50 or $100 just to close the sale.

Wow that is sad. You know the reason why everyone has bad credit is that they all have credit card debt they can't pay off. And some people just don't care to pay thier bills so they ruin their credit, and frankly they deserve it.
kiosk_hell

Feb 5, 2007, 12:53 PM
Yeah, I totally agree they deserve it, and chances are they will end up with write off accounts at some point anyway...but we needed acts. Giving these people a deal is like rewarding them for bad behavior, then they think they will get special treatment whenever they want something.
craptacularwireless

Feb 5, 2007, 2:50 PM
That's precisely why Sprint is such a crappy place right now.
WTF

Feb 4, 2007, 7:59 PM
kiosk_hell said:
they reply, "oh no, I don't have a deposit." Really, 'cause my computer says you do). ".

have you seen changing lanes with ben afleck and that samuel l jackson...."my computer says your bankrupt* sam jacksons character picks up computr, throws it to the ground* 'NOW IT DOESNT!"

i can see this happening to you real soon 😛
captainplooky

Feb 4, 2007, 7:10 PM
WTF Nikki?

Have you even read T-Mobile's terms and conditions lately?

Do you not realize how ludicrous what you have said is?

T-Mobile Terms and Conidiion
http://www.t-mobile.com/Templates/Popup.aspx?PAsset= ... »
Deposits. At any time, we may require a deposit from you (in which you grant us a security interest) or increase the amount of your deposit.

If we notify you of an increase not associated with a change in rate plan, you may either (a) provide us with the increased deposit or (b) cancel Service within 7 days following the date of the notice (any cancellation fee will be waived).

Except to the extent prohibited by law, your deposit may be commingled with other funds
(continues)
kiosk_hell

Feb 4, 2007, 7:22 PM
Uh, yes, but once he is charged an ETF for nonpayment, that pretty much takes care of the deposit.
captainplooky

Feb 4, 2007, 7:28 PM
That is not the situation she described at all.

Nikoletta
Now he's come back and paid off what he owes and wants to know why he isn't getting the deposit back...

He paid off what he owed. Was the ETF included, we don't know yet, but it doesn't matter considering Nikki's stance:

Nikoletta
The deposit only comes back to you if you make it a full year without getting shut down (not just suspended, he was collections status.) It doesn't matter if you pay off what you owed us, the deposit was what you put up saying "I promise to pay my bills on something that resembles a regular basis." and only get back if you keep that promise.

Nikki's statement above is clear ...
(continues)
kiosk_hell

Feb 4, 2007, 7:31 PM
Hmm, I hate to say it (really hate to say it), but it sounds like you are correct. I checked the Sprint T&Cs and they say essentially the same thing.

If your Services are terminated for any reason, we may keep and apply your Deposit to any outstanding charges. We'll send any remaining portion of Deposit to your last known address within 90 days after your final invoice

I'll admit my ignorance here because I've never been told otherwise. I think most of us are under the impression that if you break the contract, you lose the deposit.

What you are doing is essentially stealing.

Easy there, pal. I know you have a beef with Nikoletta but I don't think SHE is PERSONALLY pocketing the...
(continues)
captainplooky

Feb 4, 2007, 7:38 PM
What she is doing is essentially stealing in my opinion.

I never said she was pocketing the money, but her actions (or inaction) to follow the proper policy (or is their policy) facilitates the theft. That much is obvious. The intent is questionable.

A deposit is a "just in case" fee in this case.

Holding it as punishment or penalty is not appropriate nor legal.
sweetsoprano

Feb 5, 2007, 2:29 PM
captainplooky said:
If Service is cancelled for any reason, any deposit will be applied toward amounts you owe us at or after cancellation. Any remaining deposit will be returned to you at your billing address.

Did you miss that really big bolded part where it says the deposit will be applied to any amounts owed? T-Mo's ETF is $200 per line. If this guy hasn't paid his bill in three months, his total bill was likely well over $200. There goes his $400 deposit right there... 🙄
krickt

Feb 5, 2007, 2:38 PM
I doubt he just owed a couple of hundred either. When we have had chargebacks, they usually never intend to pay it back, and they run up 4-600 bills with data and txting and such. So it is very possible, that after ETF, and his deposit being applied to his bill, he could have still owed several hundred dollars if not more.
captainplooky

Feb 5, 2007, 4:46 PM
That is not the situation she described at all.

Nikoletta

He paid off what he owed. Was the ETF included, we don't know yet, but it doesn't matter considering Nikki's stance:

Nikoletta
The deposit only comes back to you if you make it a full year without getting shut down (not just suspended, he was collections status.) It doesn't matter if you pay off what you owed us, the deposit was what you put up saying "I promise to pay my bills on something that resembles a regular basis." and only get back if you keep that promise.

Nikki's statement above is clearly w...
(continues)
PhoneyName

Feb 5, 2007, 7:15 PM
Well, if the deposit was applied to the amount that he owed, and then he payed the amount, then no, he wouldn't actually get the deposit back (say, in the mail), because he already got it back when it was credited toward his balance, right?
craptacularwireless

Feb 5, 2007, 7:27 PM
You are correct, sir. I think Plookie over looked that.
captainplooky

Feb 5, 2007, 7:30 PM

Well big surprise when he was canceled for non-payment, lost the deposit...

Now he's come back and paid off what he owes and wants to know why he isn't getting the deposit back.

It sounds like to me, from Nikoletta's description, the man has basically been charged twice for the same unpaid amount.

Once he paid via his deposit, the other when he returned.

If the deposit was applied to what he owed, and there was a positive balance, he should have received that in the mail.

If the deposit was applied to what he owed, and there was a negative balance, then he would have to pay more, and would not receive his deposit (all of it was used to pay unpaid items).

Regardless, Nikoletta made it clear that ...
(continues)
captainplooky

Feb 5, 2007, 7:32 PM
In other words, Nikoletta does not understand what a deposit is, which ironically, she created this thread to prove she did.
PhoneyName

Feb 5, 2007, 7:48 PM
It's all in the wording. He lost his deposit, because it was applied to his balance and he still owed money. So his deposit will not be handed back to him. And you're just arguing that Nikki worded it improperly, which may be true, but the point remains the same. He will not be handed his deposit back, because it was already applied to his account.
PhoneyName

Feb 5, 2007, 7:57 PM
🤣
captainplooky

Feb 5, 2007, 8:09 PM
Ask Nikki 🤣

The scenario you envision is valid, however, I believe not appropriate based on the information we have at hand.

I could very well be wrong about this particular customer's incident.

However, there is no doubt, Nikki is wrong in her understanding of what a deposit is.

Unless you wanna agree with:

It doesn't matter if you pay off what you owed us, the deposit was what you put up saying "I promise to pay my bills on something that resembles a regular basis."
WhoDey

Feb 6, 2007, 11:44 AM
SHUT UP
SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP

She knows what a deposit is, she mis-spoke online!

In closing...
SHUT UP
SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP
txsolitaire

Feb 6, 2007, 10:20 PM
you sir, need to diaf
captainplooky

Feb 5, 2007, 8:05 PM
I believe the scenario you envision is not appropriate based on the timeframe and Nikki's statements.

Nikki said that the gentleman was a customer of 3 months, in collections, paid what he owed, and lost the depsoit because:

It doesn't matter if you pay off what you owed us, the deposit was what you put up saying "I promise to pay my bills on something that resembles a regular basis."

She made no mention of multiple lines, so assuming he had the most popular T-mobile plan at $40 a month, a three month bill would be only $135 (some taxes included), with a total of $335 (ETF included).

Of course, the man was already in collections, so chances are they probably shut his service down earlier.

So $40 a ...
(continues)
Crapbag

Feb 5, 2007, 8:23 PM
I see what you are getting at but your insight is skewed a bit here. I have never seen an account terminate early that didn't have overages applied to the bill that brought it up to an amount. To speculate $90 would thus be undershooting the more practical guess at the total due.

I agree that the OP gives off the suggestion that it is ok to keep a deposit even if you paid in full, which would be stealing on someones part. If you advocated this practice then you would be no better than the company that practiced it.
alejandro

Feb 7, 2007, 2:36 PM
i was about to say something has been misunderstood.

Every company puts their deposits as just that, a deposit just in case something is not paid, if someone pays what they owe, they pay minus the deposit.
Sherryphone

Feb 5, 2007, 5:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrjwaqZfjIY »

Time to review that training material.
kiosk_hell

Feb 5, 2007, 5:28 PM
🤣 Love it.
Nikoletta

Feb 6, 2007, 4:36 PM
I like the way you come in all confrontational with your handle, it makes me REALLY want to read what you have to say or bother with the link.

I wish people would get that, if you want somebody to go "Oh, maybe I'm mistaken" you really shouldn't start your side of the argument with "YOU ARE WRONG" or things of that nature...

And I guess I should clarify since certain people seem to think a handful of things are true that aren't...

I don't handle accounts... not at all. I sell accessories, I used to sell the phones and the plans, occasionally I still do... if you don't have a deposit.

I have never and probably will never have anything to do with the deposit end of things, the original post was based on what HE told ME. It stands...
(continues)
txsolitaire

Feb 6, 2007, 4:57 PM
to sum up your post:

didnt click link

*ramble*
Nikoletta

Feb 6, 2007, 4:58 PM
Actually it's "can't click link 'cause my systems people suck hose water."
captainplooky

Feb 6, 2007, 6:22 PM
I like how in her response she says:

It stands to reason that the money he paid as a deposit was put toward the balance that went to collections and "what he owed" was the difference.

Funny, I thought she would have actually taken the time to check this before discussing the matter with the customer.

Of course, she was probably just operating on her incorrect belief that deposits are a promise to pay.
PhoneyName

Feb 6, 2007, 6:37 PM
Because I'm sure an accessory sales rep has access to billing and collections records, right?
captainplooky

Feb 6, 2007, 6:45 PM
If she does not have access to such information, then why is she making adamant claims to the customer about his deposit.

I've never been trained to answer questions I'm not qualified to answer, have you?
kiosk_hell

Feb 6, 2007, 6:48 PM
I've never been trained to answer questions I'm not qualified to answer, have you?

No, but it is demanded of us pretty much every single day.

Let it go, FFS.
captainplooky

Feb 6, 2007, 5:50 PM

It stands to reason that the money he paid as a deposit was put toward the balance that went to collections and "what he owed" was the difference. I never said that it didn't, you assumed (and do you know what happens when you assume?)

You sure about that?

Nikoletta

and only get back if you keep that promise.

I'd take Sherry's advice and brush up on your training materials.
StarryNight

Feb 6, 2007, 6:10 PM
I might think about taking EVERYONE ELSE'S advice and shutting the heck up...

But maybe that's just me. And maybe that's 'cause I've dealt with this industry FIRST HAND for over two years. And you know what? I can't recite our T's and C's. But I sure as heck know where to look when a customer is accusing me of being wrong (which is an excellent feeling, really. You should try getting hired in wireless and see how long YOU last by memorizing the T's and C's. THEN I MIGHT take you seriously. Maybe.). And in the mean time, perhaps you could respect our place to vent. But if not, I'm sure we'll all take pleasre ripping you new ones 'til the end of time.

Oh, and one last thing. Can you maybe tell me your point in dissecting every post? Doe...
(continues)
captainplooky

Feb 6, 2007, 6:16 PM
🤣

How dare someone have dissenting opinions.

How dare someone point out the fallacies in other's arguments.

How dare someone stand up for something that is true despite the people's mob like chastisement.

How dare someone form logical responses to issues raised in posts, and reply to those in context.

🤣

Seriously, if your just gonna opine for the status quo, you 'clever' little comments could have just as easily been omitted.
sweetsoprano

Feb 6, 2007, 6:20 PM
How dare someone who DOES NOT WORK IN THE WIRELESS INDUSTRY attempt to tell those of us who do how to do our freakin' jobs! Seriously, dude, get a life and stop cluttering this board with your nonsensical, inaccurate ramblings. 🙄 🙄 🙄
StarryNight

Feb 6, 2007, 6:23 PM
If we're talking about being wrong, the fact still remains that you don't belong here. So...in theory...AHA! ALL of your 'clever' little comments can be ommited!

Thank god, we've all been SAVED! Hallelujah!
captainplooky

Feb 6, 2007, 6:32 PM
In case you don't already realize, I do feel obligated to highlight how childish a statement that is.
captainplooky

Feb 6, 2007, 6:31 PM
Please clarify for me in this post where I have been inaccurate in my characterization of what a deposit is, as compared to Nikoletta's characterization.
Nikoletta

Feb 6, 2007, 6:39 PM
The more you respond to him the more he posts, just ignore him and don't give him any more reasons to post.
captainplooky

Feb 6, 2007, 6:53 PM
Funny, I'm not a troll when we agree on stuff...

https://www.phonescoop.com/forums/forum.php?fm=m&ff= ... »
StarryNight

Feb 6, 2007, 6:30 PM
oh..and this too:

How DARE someone invade a space DESIGNED to be a sanctuary for stressed out reps and pick apart their OFF THE CLOCK, NOT BEING PAID BY T-MOBILE or SPRINT or VERIZON or WHOEVER venting about their stressful days?

This forum is designed for US to share experiences. Not for you to make us put up with the same argumentative bs as our customers.

Zip it, already.
captainplooky

Feb 6, 2007, 6:34 PM
This is no sanctuary and the moderators have made it quite clear that this forum is not exclusive by any means.

By all means though, continue in your vain attempt to silence me, while ignoring the underlying truth that my basis for entering this thread was correct.

Or are you contending that:

StarryNight

Feb 6, 2007, 6:43 PM
I'm gonna take Nikki's advice here and quit. I haven't the patience for a pointless argument.

I won't be reading your posts any more, so bother only if you feel like it.

Have a good one! 🙂
captainplooky

Feb 6, 2007, 6:51 PM
Yes, it is much easier to ignore me then answer my simple question that directly involved the reason this thread was created in the first place.

Enjoy the Kool-aid and cheers to the status quo.
sweetsoprano

Feb 6, 2007, 6:47 PM
...where can I find a stereo headset for the Nokia 6103?
Nikoletta

Feb 6, 2007, 6:53 PM
We have them in stock, they're 24.99. (I know it's a rip, but that's why they have those bloody special ports) 😁 and 5.99 for shipping but it's fast shipping, like 2 days. You might also look into an adapter for your phone that will let you have a standard headset...

On a totally side note, I prefer Niki. (one K)
sweetsoprano

Feb 6, 2007, 7:28 PM
Gracias, Niki. 🙂
kiosk_hell

Feb 6, 2007, 7:02 PM
Dwight Schrute.
MrAbstracto

Feb 6, 2007, 7:46 PM
🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣
texaswireless

Feb 7, 2007, 1:01 AM
A deposit is fully refundable if all amounts owed are paid in full. The deposit is used to pay for any debts owed.

Hopefully you meant he paid the amount above and beyond the deposit.
captainplooky

Feb 7, 2007, 6:44 PM
Actually, she never bothered to find out, and simply denied the customer any recourse at that time because of her total misunderstanding regarding what a deposit is.

I don't handle accounts... not at all. I sell accessories, I used to sell the phones and the plans, occasionally I still do... if you don't have a deposit.

I have never and probably will never have anything to do with the deposit end of things, the original post was based on what HE told ME. It stands to reason that the money he paid as a deposit was put toward the balance that went to collections and "what he owed" was the difference....

It also stands to reason that if you are faced with a situation you are not qualified to answer, ...
(continues)
texaswireless

Feb 7, 2007, 7:03 PM
Ok then. She says her OP was misinterpreted. Not my place to judge her intentions.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.