Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 29 replies

This job has made me prejudice

Nikoletta

Feb 4, 2007, 1:42 PM
It has nothing to do with location or skin color, gender, age or ethnic background, I honestly don't give a crap about that stuff...

It's accents.

Mary Mother of God but there are accents that piss me off. I pre-judge based on accents... I never used to before working here but this place does it.

But if you say something like "I keep my stuff tight, yo. I want my peeps to see my phone and say that's a tight phone." My mental response is. "Yes, and you're an idiot." Because I experience only the accent and language, it's all verbal and every person I've spoken to who uses that sort of slang, what I see as inner-city-I-want-to-be-cool language, the person using it has been just about a dumb as dirt... as dumb as the people who can...
(continues)
jalanjalaning

Feb 4, 2007, 1:44 PM
all day i think to myself "people are good, people are good, people are good, people are good, people are good, people are good..." and no matter how many times i repeat it, i have hard time believeing it...
alcave21

Feb 4, 2007, 3:15 PM
alcave is cool alcave is cool..... 🤣
craptacularwireless

Feb 5, 2007, 2:55 PM
That's your first mistake. People aren't good. People are inherently evil. Some are better at keeping the evilness from surfacing than others.
mapleleaf88

Feb 5, 2007, 7:38 PM
Thank you!! Finally, somebody who agrees with me! People are not good. If they were, they would have to LEARN to be evil; it wouldn't come naturally.
craptacularwireless

Feb 5, 2007, 7:59 PM
And we wouldn't have to teach people how to be nice.
joepatterson

Feb 4, 2007, 1:45 PM
It's hard to keep an open mind about people when you see stereotypes in action every day. Working in the mall has taught me that...
jalanjalaning

Feb 4, 2007, 1:47 PM
yeah... everyone here seems like the same person (mostly)... i work in a suburb where people think they are fancier than they are and have something to prove, but their kids just want to act like inner-city thungs because 'it's cool'... it's the same people/family everyday...
Hayate

Feb 5, 2007, 4:27 PM
Exactly. People act out the stereotype and then wonder why people view them in such a way. If people come up and don't act or present themselves in a stereotypical way I make no assumptions or judgments about them. If they do act or present themselves in a stereotypical way, I can make a number of assumptions about their actions and personality (and as I've said before, I've been right in every instance so far). I really don't understand why people act like that's such a bad thing...
not2brite

Feb 4, 2007, 3:42 PM
Stereotypes are based on experience as well as just plain fact. Prejududices are really reflections of those experiences.

I have no problem saying I have prejudices. I know better than to go to the hood at 11 PM with my classic rock blaring from my car windows...
alcave21

Feb 4, 2007, 4:32 PM
yeah or taking a bike ride through china town in the middle of spring-cleaning.....

or going to a bbq at a white guys house when you're the only olived tone person there.... 🤣
WTF

Feb 4, 2007, 4:37 PM
white people cant bbq....they just grill. 😛
alcave21

Feb 4, 2007, 4:44 PM
henc why i made the 🤣 face..... 😉 😎
frankiewawa

Feb 5, 2007, 9:38 AM
I think you need to find a new job. Considering you do nothing but bitch about your job. It might be time for a change 😎
captainplooky

Feb 5, 2007, 5:08 PM
Not to mention her fundamental misunderstandings of the Terms and Conditions that apply to your customers.

https://www.phonescoop.com/forums/forum.php?fm=m&ff= ... »
Hayate

Feb 5, 2007, 12:10 PM
I fail to see the problem with this @_@
T-MoTucson

Feb 5, 2007, 1:00 PM
you just don't like working with stupid people--regardless of the accent. I would say that is the opposite of prejudiced. And you will probably never find another job that doesn't involve working with stupid people, so if you get paid well don't leave.
alejandro

Feb 5, 2007, 1:07 PM
That sounds like bus driver racism

P.S. It's odd when a non christian/catholic says a phrase like "mary, mother of god"
chocolateman85006

Feb 5, 2007, 1:08 PM
I must agree.
sweetsoprano

Feb 5, 2007, 2:38 PM
Nikoletta said:
It has nothing to do with location or skin color, gender, age or ethnic background, I honestly don't give a crap about that stuff...

It's accents.

Mary Mother of God but there are accents that piss me off. I pre-judge based on accents... I never used to before working here but this place does it.

But if you say something like "I keep my stuff tight, yo. I want my peeps to see my phone and say that's a tight phone." My mental response is. "Yes, and you're an idiot." Because I experience only the accent and language, it's all verbal and every person I've spoken to who uses that sort of slang, what I see as inner-city-I-want-to-be-cool language, the person using it has been just about a dumb as d
(continues)
alejandro

Feb 5, 2007, 3:30 PM
Oh holy sh*t! shut the hell up! you sell phones over the phone.

It's not a pre-judgement you don't think before you answer the call "I hope its not another negro!" You both make current judgements, or a "judgement". Which I may add is not your freaking job, You are not a social worker. You are not a language coach as is apparent in your pluralization of "speak" (in which the hypocrisy is astounding!). How about you shut the hell up about the life choises about your customers lives and focus on your own!

They are not prejudices, they are just plan "ignorances" to pull a word out of my ass, something I am going to use when someone is being "ignorant" about "ignorant" people.
craptacularwireless

Feb 5, 2007, 3:40 PM
That would be sight to see. He could make millions!
kiosk_hell

Feb 5, 2007, 3:47 PM
My new favorite saying is "Sweet Zombie Jesus!" 🤣
alejandro

Feb 5, 2007, 3:58 PM
Hide the children, he's come back to life and he wants brains!
chocolateman85006

Feb 5, 2007, 8:02 PM
Please tell me you guys have better things to do thatn to create new ways to commit blasphemy! 🙄
sweetsoprano

Feb 5, 2007, 4:02 PM
alejandro said:
You are not a language coach as is apparent in your pluralization of "speak" (in which the hypocrisy is astounding!). How about you shut the hell up about the life choises about your customers lives and focus on your own!

They are not prejudices, they are just plan "ignorances" to pull a word out of my ass, something I am going to use when someone is being "ignorant" about "ignorant" people.

Before you tell someone they're not a language coach or call them a hypocrite, try running spell check...it's "choices", not "choises", and there should have been an apostrophe after "customers" since it is plural...and "ignorances" is definitely not a word. 🙄 🙄 🙄 :ro...
(continues)
kiosk_hell

Feb 5, 2007, 4:05 PM
Does this ever NOT happen when someone corrects someone else's grammar or spelling online? 🤣
alejandro

Feb 5, 2007, 4:10 PM
it's about time, i was waiting for this, since i do not correct my own mistakes after i have already made them, you failed to correct the extra e's in judgment, and you will see that i put ignorances in quotes for that reason, hence i said i pulled it out of my ass.

It should also be noted that i was not riding a high horse about the language skills about other people, only pointing out your deficit while doing so.
Hayate

Feb 5, 2007, 4:16 PM
Wow...I somehow didn't see this coming. I know you're a dumbass when it comes to racism, but I didn't think it would extend to something as simple as making assumptions based on the way people speak.
captainplooky

Feb 5, 2007, 5:12 PM

I hate what this job has done to me but I hate some of the people who call in more.

Displacement & scapegoating, wikipedia
Displacement operates subconsciously and involves emotions, ideas, or wishes being transferred from their original object to a more acceptable substitute. It is most often used to allay anxiety.

In scapegoating, aggression is displaced onto people with little political power such as minority-group members.

Though to be sure the problem resides completely with your callers and not yourself or your company 🙄

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.