Home  ›  Forums  ›

phonescoop.com

all discussions

show all 12 replies

phpbb

PsYkE

May 14, 2005, 5:25 PM
It works MUCH better. I hate the style of these forums.

Pretty please? It's FREE!
Rich Brome

May 15, 2005, 9:04 PM
Sorry you don't like the forums. I did consider phpBB, but decided against it for a number of reasons.
mmcnier

May 16, 2005, 12:22 PM
Rich, you should not have to justify why you chose certain things on this site. You own & you will operate it however you please... If Psyke doesn't like it... maybe he should create his own site, however inferior
PsYkE

May 16, 2005, 1:05 PM
I thought this was the forum for suggestions. I gave my suggestion. Was that not allowed?

You have a little brown on your nose there.

& I'm a female, & I also own a message board. I do not use phpbb, but I use wowbb. It's similar, but costs $$. phpbb & similar styles are the most widley used program in message boards today. There is a reason for this. The reason I dislike this forum, is because I have to visit a seperate page to read each response. That takes time & becomes rather annoying. W/ phpbb, you click one link & you see the entire thread, or a # of replies w/ the 1st post, depending on how long the thread is.

Rich, may I ask some of the reasons you found this board superior to phpbb?
mmcnier

May 16, 2005, 1:29 PM
Your comment
PsYkE said:
It works MUCH better. I hate the style of these forums.

Pretty please? It's FREE!

makes it sound like you are telling Rich that his website is inferior. As for brown nosing... that is your opinion, as it is MY opinion that Rich should not have to justify his decisions.
You remind me of those people who complain about what is on TV... If you dont like it, change the station.
PsYkE

May 16, 2005, 2:09 PM
I like the website. I like the forum content. I do not like the forum layout. I'm pretty sure Rich did not create the forum lay out. I made the post to make a suggestion. I did not ask Rich to justiify anything. He responded to me w/ an explanation.

Ever heard of making a mountain out of a mole hill?

You remind me of one of those tattle tales in kindergarten who butters up to the teacher. If you don't like my opinions, don't read my threads.

KTHXBI.
Rich Brome

May 16, 2005, 6:00 PM
PsYkE said:
I like the website. I like the forum content. I do not like the forum layout. I'm pretty sure Rich did not create the forum lay out. ...

Actually, I did.

Glad you like the rest of the site, though - thanks!
PsYkE

May 16, 2005, 10:38 PM
Oh well sorry... 😁
It looked pretty standard... 🤭
crazyjeremy

May 18, 2005, 10:24 AM
He wrote most everything on this site from scratch. Rich is an inspiration to some of us who are trying to do the same thing but do not have the patience.

Reasons TO write your own stuff:
You own it.
No public information on how to hack it.
Easier to impliment changes (since you know the code natively)

Reasons NOT to write your own stuff.
You own it. (And must do all changes yourself)
No public help on how to fix hackable stuff.
An easier-to-impliment change can screw everything up real quick.

I for one would love to have certain features of this forum for some of my own projects. I already asked Rich about it, but he's got other fish to fry 🙂

Oh well... I'll just keep coding along...

But you are right, PsYkE... To some...
(continues)
PsYkE

May 19, 2005, 9:35 AM
I understand it is functional & effective... but for people like myself who really only has a choice of dial-up @ home, & who has an overactive firewall @ work... it takes a LONG time for pages to load, so the amount of time it takes to view a post that might only say "LOL" makes me quite impatient.
Rich Brome

May 16, 2005, 1:51 PM
I prefer a hierarchical structure, where one thread can grow in several different directions at once, and each tangent is kept separate. If someone joins the discussion later, they can reply to any part of the thread, and their reply will always be right under the message they're replying to.

With the phpBB linear-thread style, in large threads it's often hard to tell who is replying to what. If you're not obsessively following the thread minute-by-minute and you reply to something a day later, your reply appears at the end, which might be pages away from what you were replying to. So several overlapping conversations end up happening at once, which can be confusing.

The linear-thread style is better for synchronous chat-style discussi...
(continues)
PsYkE

May 16, 2005, 2:27 PM
I see... good explanation.

Although I bet w/ some further research, you could find a forum a bit more advanced. There's a ton of new systems out there now.

There's always the quote feature. Whenever I'm responding to something earlier in a thread, I usually just quote that post.
Rich Brome

May 16, 2005, 5:58 PM
A third-party forum system of any kind isn't a good option at this point.

It would be very difficult to integrate with the existing user-account system, integrate with the various sections like news, phones, and articles, and to import the existing messages.

It would be much easier to enhance the existing system than to switch to something else. The existing system is all custom code designed specifically to integrate well with this site.

Like I said, I'm not opposed to the idea of multiple messages shown per page. The issue is simply how to do that while still visually presenting the hierarchical thread structure in a sensible, easy-to-understand way.

It's easy with a linear structure. But the different structure is why c...
(continues)

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.