Home  ›  Forums  ›

phonescoop.com

all discussions

show all 10 replies

Feature & Compare Updates

Rich Brome

Jan 13, 2006, 8:33 PM
We added a few new features to the database this week. Some were prompted by the new music phones coming out like the ROKR E2. Key lock switch, stereo speakers, and 3.5mm headphones jack were among the features added. We also added SDIO.

Some more are in the works, including real-music ringtones, TV output, and ruggedized.

Since the potential feature list is now pretty huge, we also added categories to the feature list, to group similar features together. Hopefully this will make the feature lists easier to read.

It's not easy grouping features into strict categories; a lot of features seemed like they could have gone in two or three different groups. We did our best, but we'd really appreciate any feedback on the categories we came...
(continues)
SystemShock

Jan 14, 2006, 5:17 AM
Looks nize. Like the features grouping on the phone description pages... looks cleaner an' mo' organzied. Nice work. 🙂
djdelay

Jan 14, 2006, 1:15 PM
http://www2.phonescoop.com/phones/compare.php?id%5B% ... »

I hope this brings up the page....

I compared side-by-side the Samsung a970, LG vx9800, & LG vx6000 to test it out. Love the format. It'll be alot easier for customers that I have look at the site. Only thing is....look at the camera subsection. It has them all in bold. I'm not sure if this is on purpose or not, but it previously used to only bold the superior choice. Just wanted to bring that to your attention if you weren't aware. Otherwise, it's a great layout.
Rich Brome

Jan 14, 2006, 5:39 PM
Yeah, I admit that's not perfect.

It's an improvement, though. Before, that line would have been grayed out as if they were all the same. (It only looked at the yes/no, not the detail.) Now at least it's black because there are differences.

It's not as easy as it would seem to highlight the "best" in that case. With the camera resolution, it would be easy to say that 2 megapixel is better than VGA... but the same code handles the memory card line, and it doesn't make as much sense to say that RS-MMC is "better" than MiniSD, for example. And God knows the war I would start if I tried to say something like EV-DO is "better" than WCDMA... 🙄
djdelay

Jan 14, 2006, 5:45 PM
hehe...that's understandable....I do like the improvements though....they definitely make it easier to understand what you are looking at for the less initiated.
Don.Mike

Jan 14, 2006, 7:02 PM
checked out the new features while comparing some phones today, i like it. thanks.
ButtaKnife

Jan 17, 2006, 3:10 PM
Nice work on the site guys. This is by far the best resource online for phone info. Keep up the good work and if you need help with PHP let me know, I may be able to free up time to contribute. 🙂
Rich Brome

Jan 18, 2006, 10:40 PM
Quick update - we finished "ruggedized: as a feature - you can search for that now. 🙂
dgarriott

Jan 19, 2006, 10:04 PM
I'm sorry... I had no idea where to ask this question. I was referred to this site by verizon wireless. they said that I could look up a phone number somewhere here at this site, and you could tell me who the carrier is for that number. is this true?? 🤭
mark0000

Jan 24, 2006, 1:13 PM
Hey Rich,
The feature updates look slick, but one point of clarification:

USB is of course one way to plug into a computer, but more and more (especially with moto) we're seeing mini USB ports on the phones themselves. I wasn't sure which feature the USB line was addressing. If it is just addressing one, it may help to clarify when you click on the USB link instead of updating all the code.

If this is not refering to miniUSB ports, I really don't know if it's worth it to add at this point. It's definitly a feature I like but I suppose isn't to available outside Moto.

Anyway, keep up the good work
Rich Brome

Jan 24, 2006, 7:57 PM
Thanks for the feedback!

USB in our feature list doesn't necessarily mean a built-in mini-USB connector. In fact, that's usually not the case. It just means the phone works with USB with the proper cable.

That's nearly all new phones these days, but that didn't used to be the case. Older phones (from 4 years ago when I started this site) only worked with serial ports, not USB.

So that's what our "USB" feature means. We keep it around that way for people looking up info about older phones. Someone with an old phone might want to know if it will connect to their new laptop, for example.

If a phone does have a built-in mini-USB connector, that's usually mentioned under USB. For example:

https://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php »...
(continues)

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.