Home  ›  Forums  ›

phonescoop.com

all discussions

show all 9 replies

Forum search

epik

Dec 3, 2010, 10:56 AM
I'm not sure how you're implementing the search engine for forum searches, but something that's frustrated me for years has been the fact that if I search for more than one word, I get results for each word rather than results with all words in it.

For instance, today I searched for "wireless sync" in the Verizon forum. I had over 500 results, most of which were for "wireless" by itself. I didn't get only posts with "wireless" and "sync" in them, I got anything with "wireless sync," "wireless," and "sync." There's got to be a better way available to search the forums.
Joby Dick

Dec 4, 2010, 12:34 AM
been a long time coming. I've experienced the same frustration while searching threads. I wish there were more search capabilities, such as being able to find an exact phrase, as you said. A suggestion I have for that is to implement quoted searches, such as Google offers, in which an exact phrase can be searched for without the search returning all posts which contain any of the words. I'd also like to have the capability to search posts by author.
Rich Brome

Dec 5, 2010, 4:01 PM
You can search a specific user's messages. Click on their username and go to the Forum Messages tab. There's a search box at the top.
Joby Dick

Dec 5, 2010, 4:51 PM
believe I had not noticed that prior to now. 🤭 Thank you for the insight!
Avaya

Dec 6, 2010, 8:10 AM
you don't remember who the person was, that posted it?

i mean, there are posts in the Lounge that i normally would like to read again for reference of something outside of PS...

And even if i know who the person is, search using his name, this will populate a bunch unnecessary posts, will be easier than using the title but i would rather a more direct feedback of my search. 😕
Rich Brome

Dec 6, 2010, 4:09 PM
I don't understand. You can search the forums by any text, with or without limiting by user. If you don't recall who said it, use the regular forum search.
Joby Dick

Dec 6, 2010, 5:30 PM
Avaya is talking about searching posts by the title. As far as I know, the search function returns only the content of a message, not the title.

Of course, there are so many re:_____ threads out there that the results would be littered with inconclusive results, but there are threads that I've tried to look up in the past by title because I didn't remember any key words of the actual post.
Avaya

Dec 7, 2010, 8:12 AM
well, to make it simple, searching using a word, if one doesn't remember the author, will populate a bunch of post that is not really important to my search.

for example: say I'm searching using the word "left get a number of pages with numerous posts that contain that said word.
Rich Brome

Dec 7, 2010, 9:54 AM
I still don't understand. If you search for the word "left", it will find posts with the word "left". That's how it's supposed to work. Aside from reading your mind, how are you suggesting that it work differently.? 😕
Rich Brome

Dec 5, 2010, 4:16 PM
That's excellent feedback. Thanks. I agree, it's just not the easiest thing to do. I'll keep working on it. 🙂

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.